Site Sponsors

Capture Integration Digital Transitions Camera West empty Guy Mancuso Photography

Thread: Leaf Aptus-II 7 Back Latch

Melbourne AU
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaf Aptus-II 7 Back Latch

I haven't had this back for very long - it's on an Alpa STC. When I first got it I noticed that my right thumb sat against the latch for the back when I held the camera. I made a mental note to stay away from the latch.

Unfortunately my thumb naturally lies against the latch, despite my best efforts. You can see where this is going can't you? I was sitting on a bench to take a photo and received a phone call. I swung to the left and put the camera down on the bench to retrieve the phone from my pocket. As I did so I depressed the latch the the back gracefully fell backwards off the camera onto the bench. I hardly knew what had happened. I'm still recovering from the palpitations however.

So I've now done what I should have done in the first place. Given that I remove the back and the adaptor together most of the time I don't need the latch in daily use so it now sports a cable tie on the shaft of the latch. It can't be actuated without removing the cable tie - cutting it off. The picture below shows in blurred iPhone fashion how it works. It also shows all of the dust that you never see in daily use :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabletie2.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	859.5 KB 
ID:	114349

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Vancouver, WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf Aptus-II 7 Back Latch

I can relate. That said the latch on my Aptus 65M isn't a loose connection. Tethering the back and the body isn't a bad idea at all.

I can share the results of when an Aptus and Alpa back plate meet in all the wrong places ...
    Rosebud ...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leaf Aptus-II 7 Back Latch

I once accidental depressed the latch on my Aptus-II 7 which was mounted on my Cambo rig. It fell off and for a second dangled from the sync cable before falling to the ground. Luckily the ground was soft desert sand and the back landed sensor side up, so after a dust off it was all good to go again - no damage done.

A great back by the way, I often miss it...

My website
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post