The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Preferred method of 'seeing' with tech cams

tjv

Hi Anders, thanks for the tip.
I was under the impression that the original GG wasn't big enough either, but maybe I'm wrong? If it is, then I'd most definately get it (and the fresnel) to help with my panoramic stitching issue...
I shoot quite a few panoramic images now, as I have an ongoing project that lends itself to it. Will get in contact with Paula again when she's back from holiday, I guess!

I tried a KG back with maxwell optics side by side with the Linhof a couple of days ago. I envy the small size of the KG back, but there's some play in it due nylon strip sliders rather than pressurizing felt + metal against metal like in the Linhof back, and the Maxwell Optics glass while bright it's lacking resolution (and even smaller than Linhof's), considerably more difficult to focus peak than the Linhof GG. My guess is that the best GG on the market is Linhof's, but it's unfortunately also the most expensive...

Anyway, I assume you only occasionally shoot 6x12, and as it's stitched the process is quite slow. Then maybe you could also temporarily swap ground glass to the standard one with its large surface and stitch markings. It won't be as bright though, but maybe it's better than guessing the sides?

torger

I was under the impression that the original GG wasn't big enough either, but maybe I'm wrong?
Uhhh... no :-( when thinking a bit more about it I think it's only the 17mm left/right 49x37 stitch markings that is available on ground glass, so you're right it will probably not work :-/

tjv

I sent an email to Linhof today to ask, so I guess they'll only confirm what you've told me here. Bummer!