The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Geared heads that are good enough for 4 kg MFD cameras

tjv

I have used a Linhof 3D Micro for many years now and find it a good solid companion.
My, by far, heaviest configuration is Hblad Cfi 40 IF - Alpa Max - Alpa FPS - Credo 60 and this the Linhof can handle without problems.
The limited tilting actually never cause frustration since I extend the legs so that the head is roughly level and then just finetune it.
The only minus I can think of is that the smaller knobs that fasten the pano movement are too small. You need to tighten them rather hard to prevent a heavy cam to move sideways.
The updated design of the Linhof 3d micro head has a new locking mechanism that solves this problem. Much better.

kdphotography

The GH-Pro overstates its capacity. It's not up to the task and does not belong in the class of geared heads that you listed in the top tier. I also would not include the Manfrottos either, mainly based on weight, limited capacity, and refinement.

I have both the AS Cube and the KPS T5. Both are rock solid performers. I'm sure that the Linhof and the Photoclam are suitable Cube variants. But the T5 is in a class by itself serving both as a ballhead and as a geared head.

You can see a review of the KPS T5 geared ballhead published here at GetDPI and on my blog, https://kendoophotography.wordpress...lhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/ Build quality of the T5 is on par with Arca Swiss and RRS. No qualms about recommending it. GH-Pro is fine for a mirrorless camera, but doesn't belong in Dante's forum where cameras have a lot more heft.

Ken

danlindberg

The updated design of the Linhof 3d micro head has a new locking mechanism that solves this problem. Much better.
Thanks for pointing that out! I wasn't aware of this upgrade. Doesn't look like there is an easy upgrade from the old version that I have, but I'm going to ask :p

torger

Thanks for the comments on the GH-Pro Ken. Have you tried the Manfrotto 410? Do you think the GH-Pro is any better or worse, or perhaps about the same regarding stability/backlash?

torger

So the summary so far is that if you don't want any play or stability issues your choices with a heavier camera are:

A/S Cube
A/S D4
Linhof 3D Micro
KPS T5
PhotoClam Multiflex

The KPS T5 is the most economical, but all are expensive.

I know a cheap head like the Manfrotto 410 works as I've used it myself, and I've seen others use it that could easily afford a more expensive head. It's unique as it has all three axis geared which is nice in some situations, and I think it's the fastest to operate and most user-friendly head. I think it's the great operational ergonomics which makes some keep the head even if the quality is so-so, the controls are indeed better than my D4. However for me the losing-position-slightly when I slided the sliding back got worse and worse with time (tried to tighten the head but did not succeed), and the 1400g+extra for (the excellent) Hejnar Photo clamp extension felt heavy to carry in the field.

Actually I think the weight was the stronger reason for me to upgrade than the play. I've haven't really got rid of the need of after-adjusting after I slide in the back, as the tripod footing is often soft soil and some shifting in the tripod itself often happens anyway.

I looked to the Cube but the extra weight and not being able to unlock made me go for the D4. Some see the inability to unlock as a safety advantage though, so it's personal.

I actually did hurt my finger the first day using the D4 due to accidental unlocking, but that was because I'd never used a ball head and was used to the 410 head so I thought you didn't need to apply force on the locking knobs to lock it. *Tilt* *wham* over my finger.... you learn effectively through pain though, I've never done that mistake again :)

The D4 is precise, but as the rotational axis is inside the head it's not really "silky smooth" to operate with a heavy camera on top. You need to use some force when turning the knobs as you move quite some mass, so it's a bit jerky, but there's no play and fine-tuning is no problem. I assume the Cube has a smoother feel as you shift less mass due to the rotational axis being closer to the center of mass of the camera. The couple of hundred grams lighter and ability to unlock is worth the jerkiness though.

tjv

Thanks for pointing that out! I wasn't aware of this upgrade. Doesn't look like there is an easy upgrade from the old version that I have, but I'm going to ask :p
I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I asked Paula if I could upgrade mine at some stage and think she told me it couldn't be, hense the really low price I paid for the older model. Best to ask her to confirm that though, or even email Linhof directly?

I got the version with the classic Arca-Swiss dovetail lock. If given the option again I would have gone with the quick release clamp, as the knob for tightening the QR lock on the classic version is easily mistaken for the top pan lock. I've never made the mistake and unlocked the QR plate by mistake, but it would be easy to do. The quick release lock / quick fix option would be more fool proof in this regard. This is all a moot point with the new design as the pan locks are completely different so can't be confused at all. Only relevant for the old design.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With the D4 if you release tension with a heavy camera, well guess what, no tension so it'll flop. Been there, got the bruise.

With heads like the Cube this is never an issue.

danlindberg

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure I asked Paula if I could upgrade mine at some stage and think she told me it couldn't be, hense the really low price I paid for the older model. Best to ask her to confirm that though, or even email Linhof directly?

I got the version with the classic Arca-Swiss dovetail lock. If given the option again I would have gone with the quick release clamp, as the knob for tightening the QR lock on the classic version is easily mistaken for the top pan lock. I've never made the mistake and unlocked the QR plate by mistake, but it would be easy to do. The quick release lock / quick fix option would be more fool proof in this regard. This is all a moot point with the new design as the pan locks are completely different so can't be confused at all. Only relevant for the old design.
I sent an email an hour ago direct to Linhof, lets see what they say next week.

I've got the quick release clamp version and prefer that over dovetail.

kdphotography

Thanks for the comments on the GH-Pro Ken. Have you tried the Manfrotto 410? Do you think the GH-Pro is any better or worse, or perhaps about the same regarding stability/backlash?
I've looked at the 410, but never felt it passed muster to purchase it---actually, never thought it was even close. It's weight exceeds that of the Cube and even its rated capacity is but a fraction of the Cube. You can consider the 405 with the same no-go limitations. I never felt entirely comfortably or secure when using the GH-Pro with a camera larger than the Sony A7r, for example. With larger camera bodies the "lift" was noticeable, and if you examine the head, is an inherent weakness in the design of the head. When selecting/using a tripod head for location work, I look specifically at weight, capability, and capacity. It must secure its expensive load without pause for thought. The Cube and the KPS T5 pass with flying colors. What I like about the T5 is that it acts as a normal ballhead when making initial adjustments, and that speed is hard to beat. Once locked down, smaller micro-geared adjustments can be quickly made on the x-y axis similar to the Cube. For portrait work, the Cube is a bit slow (and big). The KPS T5 gives me the speed of a ballhead for portrait work, yet now I also find myself able to make small incremental adjustments with ease, that are more difficult to do with a mere mortal ballhead.

I use the Graham Welland RRS tripod head quick release system on my tripod heads which makes it fast and easy to swap out heads on tripod legs. I like being able to choose/swap out clamps on the KPS T5. Right now I'm using RRS compatible panoramic top clamp with click-stops on the T5. I wish Arca Swiss would back off from using the permanent red loctite and allow end users to swap out top clamps easier. Thankfully I have one of the pre-red loctite Cubes.

I've been told that some minor changes/improvements are in store for the KPS T5 geared ballhead. It does not sound like any changes would be material, but the distributor has told me they will send me a new model to look at probably at the start of the new year----maybe in time for Pigs! Capture Integration in Carmel 2016!

Ken

torger

Over at LuLa I come across a user that actually sold the Arca-Swiss Cube in favor of the 410 (I don't think he had a 4kg+ camera though). The same user had also figured out how to tighten the head once it got lose (which I haven't succeeded to do). I did not understand it fully, but it seems like you need to do it over and over again. And indeed when the 410 works I thinks its one of the nicest heads to operate. But it's just a bit too heavy for me in the field and while I was not really worried it would just brake and drop my gear to the ground, the loosening made me go mad (it shifted position slightly when I cocked the shutter).

I'm quite sure I would choose the D4 today with the new options added even if I tested all of them, but the KPS T5 is second on the list. That it's even lighter than the D4 is a big plus for me, not really to get down the total weight of the gear (which for me is like 13 kg) but to make the tripod itself a bit easier to carry in the hand and on the backpack.

I think there is a place for a higher quality product with the 410 design, but so far no-one's made such a thing.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Torger,

Thanks for this thread!

Personally, I own an early model Arca Swiss D4. I like it very much, even if I very much miss gears on pan-direction.

On the D4 I have, I have replaced the original clamp with an RRS lever type clamp. My understanding is that this is no longer easily done with newer heads.

Not that I would recommend it, but I happened to drive over the Arca D4 mounted on an RRS tripod with one of the rear wheels on my Toyota Rav 4. They survived with barely a scratch and work as well as ever before. Not recommended, though, I think undeserved luck was involved.

Best regards
Erik

Over at LuLa I come across a user that actually sold the Arca-Swiss Cube in favor of the 410 (I don't think he had a 4kg+ camera though). The same user had also figured out how to tighten the head once it got lose (which I haven't succeeded to do). I did not understand it fully, but it seems like you need to do it over and over again. And indeed when the 410 works I thinks its one of the nicest heads to operate. But it's just a bit too heavy for me in the field and while I was not really worried it would just brake and drop my gear to the ground, the loosening made me go mad (it shifted position slightly when I cocked the shutter).

I'm quite sure I would choose the D4 today with the new options added even if I tested all of them, but the KPS T5 is second on the list. That it's even lighter than the D4 is a big plus for me, not really to get down the total weight of the gear (which for me is like 13 kg) but to make the tripod itself a bit easier to carry in the hand and on the backpack.

I think there is a place for a higher quality product with the 410 design, but so far no-one's made such a thing.

chiek

How about Manfrotto 400 /bogen 3263. It supports more than 405/410.
If your camera can change H/V position, 400 is the best.

I'm used 400 for Sinar and 410 for medium/35mm format in studio. both are mounted on foba asaba.
Solid works.

torger

It's probaly great in the studio, but it weighs 2600 grams and I was looking into field-use (which I should have added in the topic heading, but I forgot). There's probably quite many geared heads out there if we consider those kind of weights.

trioderob

there is a trick to the 410 which I have.

if it develops play you take it apart and add a lubricating paste to the gears -instead of oil.

this can be a lithium paste.

I did just that - and it went from loose to rock solid and will work with heavy cameras

it has no play at all

danlindberg

I sent an email an hour ago direct to Linhof, lets see what they say next week.
I got a reply from Linhof. Yes, it is possible to upgrade the older version to the latest. It is € 270 + vat + postage both ways. Bottom line, it is around € 400 for me to change the two small knobs....:toocool:

Haven't decided if it is worth it or not to me. I'm sure it is both fair and reasonable but definitely money I could use towards some other stuff on my wishlist...

Would there possibly be anyone out there that has actually tried the new locking mechanism?

kdphotography

Just a quick update---KPS did indeed add a nice feature on the KPS T5 geared ball head. I received a pretty much final prototype a couple days ago. The new T5 adds a "click-stop" function at three levels on the main adjustment knob. Perfomance remains the same as the first generation T5. On the new model, you can simply turn to the first "click" and at that point know you can optimally use the micro-adjustment knobs. Heavier cameras will use the 2 or 3 click-stop setting. Pretty novel engineering. :thumbup: I've updated my blog review with a photo as well. I will have several of the new T5 geared ball heads available at this year's CI in Carmel (Pigs) workshop next month in February!

https://kendoophotography.wordpress...lhead-in-search-of-the-elusive-white-unicorn/

ken

JohnBrew

Ken, maybe I should have looked closer at the T5. I ordered a D4 from B&H on 12/4, called them around the 20th for a delivery date and was told it would be another four to five weeks. You would think they could do better than that.

Last edited: