The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Big" news from Phase One on Monday

iiiNelson

It's almost certainly C1Pro9 due to all the recent C1Pro8 discounts and the social media clue of 9 pictures. I think I'm still good with 8 for now though unless there's a major upgraded feature list. I've been using LR6+DXO more these days in reality... When I have time to shoot.

tjv

Pentax/Leica support in C1
Is this seriously something on the table though? Not that I care–I don't own either–but that would be pretty great news.

I'd like the following features:

1: A robust and user friendly cataloguing system a la Lightroom.
2: An integrated stitching feature to keep the files 100% in C1 (again, a la Lightroom.)
3: A SPEED increase

archivue

Is this seriously something on the table though? Not that I care–I don't own either–but that would be pretty great news.

I'd like the following features:

2: An integrated stitching feature to keep the files 100% in C1 (again, a la Lightroom.)
+
4: An integrated focus stacking feature to keep the files 100%

rhern213

According to a recent post by DT, "Capture One does not support the 645Z, and support will not be added in the future." So no that's not included in their current business plan, it seems like Phase would still rather take a hit on their profits then to support the competitors users.

If they like money, I'd sure hope so. Wider MF support is a feature that's been echoed here for a while now.

strok

I would like to see a DB firmware update. Don't understand why it takes 30min to save 30min exposure file.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Re: "Big" news from Phase One on Monday

I would like to see a DB firmware update. Don't understand why it takes 30min to save 30min exposure file.
It doesn't. It takes about a second to record the file. It's the dark frame that takes that time. Phase One backs automatically do a dark frame exposure. This exposure, done with the shutter closed, records the location of any hot pixels and helps characterize the noise.

The technology Phase One has developed for its dark frame is quite advanced and is one of the reasons why Phase One consistently outperforms competitive solutions in regards to long exposure quality.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you be more specific on these two items? What cataloging features, missing from C1, are most important to you?

Also, do you have a powerful graphics card? A strong GPU is key to C1 performance. I've found c1v8 flies with a good GPU, even with thousands of 80mp raw files.

Last edited:

T.Dascalos

Not Available
It could be a 1.4x TC that will allow all their lenses from 24mm up to 120mm to be used with a FF back on a view camera with movements... but I doubt that...

strok

It doesn't. It takes about a second to record the file. It's the dark frame that takes that time. Phase One backs automatically do a dark frame exposure. This exposure, done with the shutter closed, records the location of any hot pixels and helps characterize the noise.
Thank you Doug,
There's should be some way around (at list optional) to have ability to take several images with same setting and apply one black frame to all, let say if temperature of the sensor hasn't changed dramatically.
Sometimes you have 5-7 min of sunset/sunrise and every second counts. Taking 25-30 sec exposures with 25-30 sec delays sometimes killing the shot.

Cheers

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Thank you Doug,
There's should be some way around (at list optional) to have ability to take several images with same setting and apply one black frame to all, let say if temperature of the sensor hasn't changed dramatically.
Sometimes you have 5-7 min of sunset/sunrise and every second counts. Taking 25-30 sec exposures with 25-30 sec delays sometimes killing the shot.

Cheers
I generally agree with the idea of providing users more control, including, in this case, the option to turn off dark frame calibration. I will pass this feedback on to R+D at Phase One; you are not the first to ask for it, but every voice is counted.

That said, the back does automatically re-use dark frames if/when the conditions are similar enough to do so without sacrificing quality. With the CMOS backs for instance, the amount of heat generated during a long exposure is less, so dark frames are frequently reused even on long exposures. The ability to set an arbitrarily long exposure (not just manually-controlled-bulb) such as with the XF body helps in this regard, as the length of the exposure needs to be very close to the previous one for the dark frame to be reused.

When using one of the CMOS backs, or one of the backs with Long Exposure Mode you can also up the ISO, even during long exposures. Noise will increase slightly but results can still be excellent, and it can be worth it to gain some flexibility during quickly changing light conditions.

Thank you Doug,

Cheers
If you have a technical camera with simple sync cable then you can disable the darkframe noise reduction by setting "Camera Mode" to "Aerial" and "Shutter Latency" to "Zero". At least this trick works for every shot after the first shot each time you power on the digital back with firmware pre-IQ3 release. Not sure about the latest firmware though.

The CMOS back could benefit from this trick, as you only need to move the slider of "Single Pixel" of C1's noise reduction to 1 to eliminate 99% of the hotpixels. However the CCD backs will get drastically degraded image quality if you disable darkframe noise reduction. That's the main reason to give up the CCD backs for dedicated long exposure shots.

Nutcracker

Teasing us now
"November 30, 2015

Due to maintenace on our www.phaseone.com web site, it is currently unavailable. This may as well include activation server for Capture One.

We apologize for the inconvenience and welcome you back later.

Best regards

Team Phase One"

Hulyss Bowman

bha !! this is the kind of "big" new I wait from phase. Medium format market is around 5000 Units per year around the whole world. With the venue of the 645 (z), the new sony sensors + the crisis, those 5000 units might have hard time to be sold.

Phase One is clever because of Capture one, very valuable asset. Going 24x36 might be a good thing for such a brand.

Just my two cents.

I would just applaud if they come with a 24x36 body.

P.S: If canon really bought Phase One, I will accept a fine bottle of wine.