The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One now owns 100% of camera maker Mamiya

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
This move only makes sense for Phase which is why there was never going to be an updated Mamiya camera system once the XF was introduced. I am sure this has been in the works for a long time.

jerome_m

Phase One buys shares, Hasselblad sells them :D
Phase One sold shares not that long ago. And the reason they bought Mamiya may not be positive: one does not buy a company which one effectively controls without good reasons. A possible theory is that Mamiya was on the verge of closing shop, so Phase One had to buy them. After all, they depend on them for the XF camera.

Paul2660

Are you sure that the XF is manufactured by Mamiya? I am asking as I honestly don't know the answer here.
Yes made by Mamiya. But as pointed out Phase and Mamiya are 1 company now. But the XF is made in Phase One's Japanese plant, Mamiya.

All one big happy medium format family now.

Paul C

Steve Hendrix

Phase One sold shares not that long ago. And the reason they bought Mamiya may not be positive: one does not buy a company which one effectively controls without good reasons. A possible theory is that Mamiya was on the verge of closing shop, so Phase One had to buy them. After all, they depend on them for the XF camera.

Well then how would it not be positive news if the complete ownership stake provides a path forward? :confused:

This is actually slightly old news, as it occurred last summer. Phase One already had a majority stake going back to 2009. It's possible the complete ownership allows them more flexibility to direct policies/procedures/methodology at the factory level, I have no idea. At any rate, it is a logical extension of the path they charted 6.5 years ago.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

jagsiva

This is great news all around. There is so much legacy IPR that is protected and has a positive future with the "investment"...yes, and I hope P1 sees this as that and not as a safety net.

MrSmith

"In a statement, Phase One added: ‘With this transaction, Phase One now also takes total ownership for all aspects of design and development of medium-format camera systems, central shutters and lenses.’
"

while still beholden to the sensor manufactures and what they choose to make.