The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad deal of the day.... 50% off H5D-50c

thus making space for the new products coming soon. ("soon" is a conclusion because of the new pricing policy)
Again, it could also be the other way around: they have to lower the pricing of 50MP models because Sony is also going to announce something that is 50+MP in 35mm format. My source in the Sony sensor department told me about several prototypes of 50+MP sensors in 35mm format (which is not like the IMX251 in A7R-II optimized for 4k video readout in Super-35 area of the sensor), but told me nothing about something larger than IMX161 (H5D-50c, 645Z etc) in size.

13.JPG

14.JPG

The last time Hasselblad offered a huge discount on the H4D-40 was when the Nikon D800/D800E was announced. A huge discount does not necessarily mean a new sensor for the medium format. (But we surely do hope for a new sensor!)

The current pricings of the H5D-50c and the CVF-50c are surely attractive, but these lack the support of Capture One for LCC, rendering these unfriendly for technical cameras.

The H5D system also only offer flash sync to up to 1/800, while even Leica S can do 1/1000. Fewer and fewer reasons to buy if the pricing is not attractive enough.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
With the XF, not the "dog with fleas" DF+. Define "much closer" in price.
The DF+ body was not in the same league as the Hasselblad body (at least to me), which is why I shot a Hasselblad for a long time with my Phase back, until I upgraded to the IQ260 as I then got it as a "kit" with a DF+ and 80LS. I ended up selling off my Hassselbad since I was not shooting MFDSLR as much and had the DF+ for those instances when I did.

The Schneider lenses are very good however and felt they were equal to the Hasselblad glass.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I don't know a "bad" lens in production with any of the MF makers... I know only a few Pentax 645 lenses that have been criticized, but these where all older designs that where reissued and then only a few out of them... Out of Mamiya, the only lens I know as being inferior is the older 55-110mm zoom which is now discontinued... If I was to value a lens line between P1/Mamiya, Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica & Contax 645, I would say that the Hasselblad line has a some drawbacks that are related to different things than Image quality... I feel that their UWA line is too crowdy with 24, 28 & 35 lenses, while then there is only one WA (the 50mm) which is too far away than the 80mm and too close to the UWA range.... IMO, a 55mm would be a much better suggestion for Hasselblad and then perhaps the standard lens should be of 75mm... My other "problem" with Hasselblad's lens line is the 50-110mm zoom, which is (although of superb image quality) a real PINA to use because of its bulk... Clearly it needs redesigning... My "championship metal" out of all the above makers, would go to the ( long discontinued...) Contax 645 line (which I happily own) because of its lens speed and the superb 45-90mm vario sonnar, which manages to hide its bulk while covering a very usefull range at the same time...

tjv

What some Phase dealers who post here also seemingly fail to grasp is that their level of knowledge and service are not indicative of the Phase / Leaf global dealer network. In Australia and NZ for example it's a totally different story with regards to service and support, but also price. The list price is pretty much the price and that's it because there's realloy only one game in town for sales. There's no competition or incentive to provide more after sales value, either. Hasselblad is better in that regard, at least in NZ and in my experience.