The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 150 f/4 CF vs Mamiya AF 150 f/3.5

Frederic

From an optical point of view, which one would you recommend ?

I can buy either for about the same price, and would use it on a Mamiya 645 body. The AF/MF difference is no big deal to me, unless the optic formula is different.

Thanks.

JeRuFo

Both of these have quite a classic MF rendering, the sonnar look is probably the best known. The mamiya look is a bit warmer in my opinion (not necessarily color, but the rendering).
The Sonnar 150 2.8 F/FE is beautiful too, and might be worth a look if it works on your camera. I really like the focus fall off and the shallow depth of field of that one.
But choosing one over the other is like picking from a menu in a nice restaurant, you're guaranteed a decent meal, but everyone still makes their own decision on what to eat based on personal preference.

Frederic

Thanks. I wish I could test them and compare.

The OOF highlights I could see on some Sonnar samples seemed a bit harsh sometimes, the Mamiya is apparently a bit smoother in this regard. Since I would use the lens primarily for portraits, it's a important point (that and a gentle focus-oof transition).
Have yo used them with digital backs too ?

Like Jerufo I would recommend the F 150/2,8 over the 150/4 Sonnar. It is not even expensive these days and has beautiful bokeh. You could also adapt the Jena Sonnar 180/2,8, which has about the smoothest oof rendering possible.

robmac

I've not used the AF 150/3.5, but the manual focus version (IIRC the formula is the same) is not very impressive in terms of resolving power but IIRC the bokeh was nice. It's faster manual focus 150/2.8 brother is $%^ stellar on all counts, as is the AF version by reputation. Have not used the Hassy 150/4. The Hassy 110/2 is also excellent.

I've not used the AF 150/3.5, but the manual focus version (IIRC the formula is the same) is not very impressive in terms of resolving power but IIRC the bokeh was nice. It's faster manual focus 150/2.8 brother is $%^ stellar on all counts, as is the AF version by reputation. Have not used the Hassy 150/4. The Hassy 110/2 is also excellent.
Right now I am testing following lenses on Phase one DF and IQ180 back.
Hasselblad 150mm 2.8
Mamiya 150mm 2.8
Hasselblad 120mm Macro
Hasselblad 110 2.0
Pentagon Zeiss 180mm 2.8
Russian Kaleinar 150mm 2.8
The best results I got from Hasselblad 120 Macro and 110 F2
Hasselblad 150 2.8 has minor cleaning marks but still bether microdetails than Mamiya 150 2.8
Sonnar 180 is fantastic lens, but bulky,Has nuys bokeh.
Russian Kaleinar 150 2.8 is bulky to and not good as Hasselblad 150 2,8
I hop this will halp you to deside.

Frederic

Thanks all for sharing your experience, much appreciated !

I've eventually settled on the Mamiya AF 150/3.5 which, to me, exhibits quite pleasing OOF areas and a "natural" transition from in-focus ones. I agree the sharpness is nothing extraordinary, and the micro-contrast could be a bit more pronounced, but for portraits this should provide a good basis to work on.
Had money not been a concern, I admit I'd have probably grabbed the 150/2.8 :grin: