The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase XF/IQ150, 110LS or 150LS

DavidGenik

I'm going to be picking up a Phase XF and IQ150 next week but not 100% sure which lens to go with. I can only get one lens and thinking the 110LS and picking up a 240LS down the line. It's similar to a 85mm on a 35mm and the 240 is like a 200mm. I've been shooting with the d800 and 70-200 2.8 for years and usually all over the place with it. I'm a studio headshot/fashion kinda guy. My studio is about 25 feet long, so i feel i can get away with full body easy on the 110 but not the 150. I also like to get very close for tight headshots. I have a feeling phase will release a new blue line 110LS in the next 3-6 months and I know its optically going to be the same thing but I like metal over plastic.

Im about 99% thinking the 110LS but curious what others think.

aztwang

I'm going to be picking up a Phase XF and IQ150 next week but not 100% sure which lens to go with. I can only get one lens and thinking the 110LS and picking up a 240LS down the line. It's similar to a 85mm on a 35mm and the 240 is like a 200mm. I've been shooting with the d800 and 70-200 2.8 for years and usually all over the place with it. I'm a studio headshot/fashion kinda guy. My studio is about 25 feet long, so i feel i can get away with full body easy on the 110 but not the 150. I also like to get very close for tight headshots. I have a feeling phase will release a new blue line 110LS in the next 3-6 months and I know its optically going to be the same thing but I like metal over plastic.

Im about 99% thinking the 110LS but curious what others think.
I have both the 80LS, 110LS and 150LS lens's. Personally I love the 110, Its sharp ..very sharp and fast. I should probably give the 150 more use. Ken Doo loves, did I say LOVES the 150..So much, I feel guilty for not using my 150 more. either way brotha...you wont be dissapointed.

Don

kdphotography

I think you might want to....oh wait---Don took the words right outta my mouth! :ROTFL:

150mm LS is my favorite portrait lens by far. 110mm LS if I need a tad wider. 40-80 LS picks up the wider stuff. I wish I could use the 240mm LS more...

ken

DavidGenik

It's not like you skimped! :thumbup:
i would of went with the 75-150, but its too big and heavy, plus it focus's too slow for my tastes.

With the 120, i can go from martin schoeller style headshots to fullbody with one lens. and with the limiter enabled, it focus pretty quick.

i just in the future phase uses carbon fiber in the body, back and lens instead of metal. it could easy shred a pound off

aztwang

i would of went with the 75-150, but its too big and heavy, plus it focus's too slow for my tastes.

With the 120, i can go from martin schoeller style headshots to fullbody with one lens. and with the limiter enabled, it focus pretty quick.

i just in the future phase uses carbon fiber in the body, back and lens instead of metal. it could easy shred a pound off
I'll be curious to see your results. I had considered the new 120 then saw the 120 comparison that CI did and then older A/F model is very very close if not the same in performance, appears to me anyways..LOL Good luck with the new 120..its a monster!

DavidGenik

I'll be curious to see your results. I had considered the new 120 then saw the 120 comparison that CI did and then older A/F model is very very close if not the same in performance, appears to me anyways..LOL Good luck with the new 120..its a monster!
I believe all the blue line and non-blue line lens except for the 35 are the exactly the same optically. I just have to buy a new lens and rather buy a just released 120 and get a used 80 or something down the line then the 110 that will be blue lined in a few months. Plus if i really want the 110 i can find them used alot easier then a 120 macro (i haven't seen too many used).

Since 120 is strictly studio only, i think it will handle 99% of what i need and if i'm stuck and need wider, i can pull out my d800 with 70-200 till i pick up a 80 or maybe the older 75-150 f4.5 (since its half the wight of the LS version)

the one thing that sucks is how heavy the backs are. im most likely going to be hand-holding for 3-4 hours each session. i might need a monopod in the future or ill just get used to it

aztwang

I believe all the blue line and non-blue line lens except for the 35 are the exactly the same optically. I just have to buy a new lens and rather buy a just released 120 and get a used 80 or something down the line then the 110 that will be blue lined in a few months. Plus if i really want the 110 i can find them used alot easier then a 120 macro (i haven't seen too many used).

Since 120 is strictly studio only, i think it will handle 99% of what i need and if i'm stuck and need wider, i can pull out my d800 with 70-200 till i pick up a 80 or maybe the older 75-150 f4.5 (since its half the wight of the LS version)

the one thing that sucks is how heavy the backs are. im most likely going to be hand-holding for 3-4 hours each session. i might need a monopod in the future or ill just get used to it
I hear ya on the weight. Ive gotten use to it..Like shooting a D4s with the "Chub", 200 f2 for a whole game. I know when football season starts and I handhold my D3s with thee 400 2.8 it takes a few weeks for my arms to get used to sling'n that weight around.

DavidGenik

I hear ya on the weight. Ive gotten use to it..Like shooting a D4s with the "Chub", 200 f2 for a whole game. I know when football season starts and I handhold my D3s with thee 400 2.8 it takes a few weeks for my arms to get used to sling'n that weight around.
i guess i don't need my gym membership anymore