The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

ondebanks

it’s not such a huge step as the first 22mp and 39mp backs.
I dunno. The 22MP backs were only 33% larger in area, and 33% higher in pixel count than the 16MP backs, and had identical pixel size and technology as the 16MP backs.
This 100MP CMOS, OTOH, is 50% larger in area than the 50MP CMOS backs, and 100% higher in pixel count, as it uses slightly smaller pixels. That to me is more of a large step.

Maybe you could make a case for the 39MP backs being a big step, as they greatly reduced long exposure noise as well as greatly increased pixel count, and pretty much matched scanned medium format film.

100mp is headline grabbing but as we all know the wxh pixel dimensions are not a huge step from 60/80. i dont see this back changing photographers purchasing habits or revolutionising their workflow. it’s just a slightly bigger sensor a bit like the old sensor.
The 60/80 MP backs are the wrong comparison for the 100 MP back. The killer app is not the extra 20MP squeezed into the same sensor area: it's the fact that it's CMOS rather than CCD; low-noise Sony rather than high-noise Dalsa, with all the possibilities that throws open: high ISO, proper live view, clean long exposures without a dark frame...

Ray

Jeffrey

The comments, observations, and opinions on the new back might change a bit once people have the new back in their hands and have used it for several days. I speculate the new back will be better than most of us might imagine, particularly for those people who make very large prints.

narikin

Does anyone know how much to trade in with IQ180 and DF+ for IQ3 100 and XF kit?

Thanks
You need to ask a good dealer like Capture Integration, or DT, but it will run around $33,000 give or take a thousand, depending on which way the wind blows in Denmark that day.

Last edited:

torger

I dunno. The 22MP backs were only 33% larger in area, and 33% higher in pixel count than the 16MP backs, and had identical pixel size and technology as the 16MP backs.
This 100MP CMOS, OTOH, is 50% larger in area than the 50MP CMOS backs, and 100% higher in pixel count, as it uses slightly smaller pixels. That to me is more of a large step.

Maybe you could make a case for the 39MP backs being a big step, as they greatly reduced long exposure noise as well as greatly increased pixel count, and pretty much matched scanned medium format film.
I think the difference here is that once you get up to a certain very high quality further improvements are less valuable. I certainly see 22 to 39 a more meaningful improvement in quality than 50 to 100, despite that the later is in numbers a larger improvement. This is because 50MP is already very high resolution that can make large high ppi prints.

But certainly I wouldn't say no to 100MP, I want even more. But the need now when I have 50 is not that big so I can wait and see.

The big news is as you say that it's a CMOS with all those advantages and I think this is marking an end of CCD because few are going to want the 60/80 Dalsa CCDs in a new back when this exists. To work out smoothly this must perform at least decently with the Rodenstock tech wides though, if not the CCDs still may have some life in them, and of course in the second hand market they will live for many more years in any case.

jagsiva

32HR images look quite nice...but:

1. Some noise in the shifted areas. Could be due to lack of CF use, Alpa has not specified. Expected CMOS to handle this better, it cannot be more than a couple of stops off base.
2. Would like to see larger shifts with more detail in shifted areas....I'm sure we'll get more samples soon.
3. Vertical blotching in sky areas...or is it just me and my screen?

43XL - doesn't look too good. Given that out of the 28/35/43/47, the 43 was best behaved, it does not look too good for SK. Hoping the Rodies fair better.

Pemihan

32HR images look quite nice...but:
3. Vertical blotching in sky areas...or is it just me and my screen?
I see it quite clearly too. If you convert to B&W it gets worse. OF course this is only jpg files so should be taken with a grain of salt.

Peter

jagsiva

I see it quite clearly too. If you convert to B&W it gets worse. OF course this is only jpg files so should be taken with a grain of salt.

Peter
Fair enough Peter, but these are full size JPGs, whatever that means for lossy compression. Alpa did have a disclaimer that this was all pre-release, let's hope it's simply that.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Patience please everyone. A broad range of good tests, preferably with raws shared rather than JPGs, are called for before conclusions are made.

Our first units arrive tomorrow morning. We have many tests to do, with tech cameras being just one (though one of the more important).

dchew

I'm with Jagsiva. If I can shift this as much as the 180, I'm going to wince.

I don't know whether to giggle or find my blanket.

ondebanks

Patience please everyone. A broad range of good tests, preferably with raws shared rather than JPGs, are called for before conclusions are made.

Our first units arrive tomorrow morning. We have many tests to do, with tech cameras being just one (though one of the more important).
Looking forward to seeing all these tests (but again, utterly astonished that Phase One are shipping a flagship product whose performance they have not themselves tested! :shocked: )

Ray

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Looking forward to seeing all these tests (but again, utterly astonished that Phase One are shipping a flagship product whose performance they have not themselves tested! :shocked: )

Ray
Of course Phase One has tested this back, quite extensively, including with Tech Cams. But camera manufacturers, as a general group, do not release large volumes of test images especially when third party components (e.g. Rodenstock lenses on an Arca body) are involved. For instance you don't see Canon releasing gigs of raw files with Sigma lenses or Nikon releasing gigs of raws showing skintone when combining their cameras with various brands of LED lighting.

This is especially true of Phase One which is a dealer-oriented company. They delegate to us to do the kind of testing that matters to our market and clients, and to facilitate clients doing their own testing of their own specific needs. At the danger of sounding immodest I think we do a pretty darn good job of it!

I'll be quiet on the forums for a while as I focus on completing a wide swath of tests, most of which will be available, at no cost, from our website as raw files.

tjv

The new 32mm Rodie samples look a bin ominous, IMHO. Colour blotching and noise in the sky are both quite prominent on my (admittedly pooply calibrated) laptop. I'd be interested to see a detail rich "brick wall" test that might show up crosstalk issues. Not that I can afford this beast of a back anyway, quite happy with my Credo!

Dan Santoso

Can someone comments on the DR test in the LL forum that shows DR ís only 13 stops?

I cant wait for more test, how far is it from 1st gen IQ back.