The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

No blue skies today in this neck of the woods...... Even if there were some slight artifacts at 15mm I really do think that Phase has worked hard on casting issues and given the bleak forecast regarding LF lenses I think that this is all going to have to be handled on the software side. They've shown, to me, that they can with the 35XL...... I get the best of many worlds - low distortion, low casting, low weight. I compare this to the giant Rody 32mm and its tremendous out of pocket expense and I'm thankful I never succumbed to the urge to click the 'add to basket' button.

Victor
I still remember when DT first released their test results of the IQ250, we observed mazing artifact there. I believe such artifact is still visible in current version of Capture One. If it weren't for this, then the 35XL is really really a no-brainer for me, as you said, virtually distortion free and flare free and most importantly - lightweighted.

39.JPG

vjbelle

I still remember when DT first released their test results of the IQ250, we observed mazing artifact there. I believe such artifact is still visible in current version of Capture One. If it weren't for this, then the 35XL is really really a no-brainer for me, as you said, virtually distortion free and flare free and most importantly - lightweighted.
Yes...... as I've posted previously my 35mm went from a useless state to stellar after being serviced by Schneider. Another great but under reported lens is the Schneider 100mm. Sadly all the new ones are gone now - even at Linhof Studio. I'm glad I have mine..... lightweight, sharp, reasonably priced (at the time). Times are changing......

Victor

Yes...... as I've posted previously my 35mm went from a useless state to stellar after being serviced by Schneider. Another great but under reported lens is the Schneider 100mm. Sadly all the new ones are gone now - even at Linhof Studio. I'm glad I have mine..... lightweight, sharp, reasonably priced (at the time). Times are changing......

Victor
If Paula could lend me a 35XL to be tested on the IQ3 100MP, chances are that I might end up selling my 40HR and get the 35XL instead... I'm also interested in the discontinued 28XL but I don't think Paula has that in stock any longer.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
what about the HDMI out for the other IQ-3 backs?
Right now only the IQ3 100 has HDMI. Not sure about the roadmap for future revisions of the other backs but knowing Phase One and given that it's a hardware change I'm sure that they would be a new version.

The HDMI option, if it works as well as hoped, would be fabulous for live view & image review with an external 7in monitor.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
agreed for us outdoor users who don't really need tethering only a bigger viewer. wonder if implementing the HDMI was as problematic (read: delayed release) as the USB3? wonder how the live view resolution will compare to an ipad on wifi or a laptop on C1 connected by USB3?

yaya

agreed for us outdoor users who don't really need tethering only a bigger viewer. wonder if implementing the HDMI was as problematic (read: delayed release) as the USB3? wonder how the live view resolution will compare to an ipad on wifi or a laptop on C1 connected by USB3?
HDMI has been working on the iXU150 (50MP CMOS) since its launch and is also available on the iXU1000 and the CMOS based iXU-R cameras

On the IQ3 100MP it looks like https://vimeo.com/151057225

BR

Yair

Jeffrey

Me too, Graham. Looks like another piece of hardware to acquire. The HD monitor is lighter and smaller than the Surface Pro thereby making for easier hiking/walking about when warranted.

I'll be interested in knowing if you purchase a small monitor (which one, please) and how you like it for detailed focusing. Thanks!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
How long will it be before the IQ3-100 is Phase One's entry level back? You know its coming.
I would consider the P45+ to have only turned into one of our "entry level backs" as of last year. It was released in 2007 and was a minor update to the P45 (non plus) released in 2005.

So I'd say it will be the flagship or near-flagship for 2-3 years and a "not entry level" back for 7-10 years.

But it's all subjective.

gerald.d

The other IQ3 backs were released a few months ago:

IQ3-50 same sensor as IQ250 CMOS
IQ3-80 same sensor as IQ280 CCD (but now has long exposure similar to IQ260)
There is no IQ3-60 (correction - there is a 60, no IQ3-40).

The new back is the IQ3-100MP. So really an extension to the line. So IQ3 has 50/100MP CMOS backs and 80MP CCD back.

Hope this helps.
I was under the impression that the IQ3 80 was a brand new sensor, and not the same as that in the IQ280?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Paul2660

Yes, I believe the 380 has a new designed 80MP sensor as it is rated to 1 hour exposures. Similar to how the 260 is 1 hour and 160 is not.

The long exposure or LP mode on the 380 starts at ISO 200. The 260 starts at ISO140.

I am sure one of the dealers can give all the details, but those are the two main things I noticed at announce. I assumed it was same as the IQ260, which I have told has a different 60MP sensor than the IQ160.

There was a white paper written about the 260, way back in 2012 or so, which might show up on a search.

Paul C

jagsiva

I was under the impression that the IQ3 80 was a brand new sensor, and not the same as that in the IQ280?

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Sorry Gerald, I seem to be talking through my *** today. I meant to say 80MP CCD, not necessarily same as IQ180. As Paul says, it's likely a new sensor based on the IQ260 with LE capability. When I looked at an IQ180-->380 upgrade some months ago, I also recall some comments made that it was an improvement on the LE capability of the 260.

jlm

Workshop Member
yeow! those are $2000 monitors, for live view, not an output device!

gotta see if i can hook one up to my sony ar7II