The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

Ken_R

yeow! those are $2000 monitors, for live view, not an output device!

gotta see if i can hook one up to my sony ar7II
I have an AC7 OLED (Small HD, HDMI inputs and Cannon Battery Adapter (uses Canon LP-E6's)) and it was well under $1k. It is not full HD but works very will with my Canons.

I would go with one of the smaller ones like THIS one.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Looks great! What battery powered HDMI field monitor does Phase One or Leaf recommend? Also, how do you switch between "fill screen" and 100% zoom?

best,

geb
There is an option in the menu shown on the IQ3 LCD:
- 4:3 (full frame, but doesn't fill the HDMI monitor
- 16:9 (fills the HDMI monitor but crops a part of the top and bottom of the frame)
- 100% crop (jumps to 100% feed)

Also allows manual control of the exposure so it doesn't auto adjust!

I have an AC7 OLED (Small HD, HDMI inputs and Cannon Battery Adapter (uses Canon LP-E6's)) and it was well under $1k. It is not full HD but works very will with my Canons.

I would go with one of the smaller ones like THIS one.
Thanks Ken. Those compact monitors look great. Flat enough to easily slip into your camera bag. The price is right too.

I would consider the P45+ to have only turned into one of our "entry level backs" as of last year. It was released in 2007 and was a minor update to the P45 (non plus) released in 2005.

So I'd say it will be the flagship or near-flagship for 2-3 years and a "not entry level" back for 7-10 years.

But it's all subjective.
I strongly doubt about that. Note that since 2008 Sony has made some leap in sensor development and as of 2016 today the speed is really fast. They refresh their mirrorless cameras almost every year.

Currently the residual value of the 80MP, 60MP and 50MP would be protected by the price of the 100MP (for a short while). However I have been told by several sources that the exclusivity of this 100MP sensor for Phase One will not last long. It is highly likely that Pentax will acquire this 100MP sensor within several months. When that happens, then anything below 100MP becomes "entry level" (I hate that wording) thanks to Pentax!

I was told that actually Sony wouldn't bother to develop such a 100MP sensor at all as well as the 50MP if it weren't for Pentax ordering a decent amount. That means Pentax will inevitably acquire it.

I miss the years where Phase One had exclusive access to the 80MP sensor. Even the 60MP sensor wasn't too bad as Hasselblad did not crush the pricing. Now it's a completely different game and even Phase One had to cancel their investment protection plan.

Currently the residual value of the 80MP, 60MP and 50MP would be protected by the price of the 100MP (for a short while).
I enjoy your opinions on the abilities of digital back technology and you seem to have access to a wide range of digital backs which is notable. However most photographers who been shooting for awhile realize that all photography gear has limitations, hence there is no golden grail. But great images are made nonetheless. What confuses me is when you start pontificating about the business side of photography equipment sales. I don't go to my cousin Larry for advise about the stock market, that's what qualified analysts do on Wall street. Now in addition to your respectful knowledge of the imaging capabilities of recent modern digital cameras sensors, you feel the need to share your deep a well of intellect in the forecasting of prices digital photography equipment. Do you have access to the 5 year, 10 year, 20 marketing plans of Hassy, Phase, Pentax, and etc?

Isn’t it enough to share your infield camera reports? Why wade in waters that don't you have the data to give a qualified projection. Is your degree at Oxford in Science or Business?

I was told that actually Sony wouldn't bother to develop such a 100MP sensor at all as well as the 50MP if it weren't for Pentax ordering a decent amount. That means Pentax will inevitably acquire it.
Glad you were told. Do you think anyone would base a major buying decision based upon those four words …GLAD YOU WERE TOLD. How about some juicy facts, like how many sensors Sony will be selling to the Military for drone cameras or other scientific usage?

It's a matter of time before all the interested camera companies will have bigger sensors. The sensor is only one component of what makes a successful camera. How about glass. How build quality? Recently I was with a landscape photographer who dropped his Leaf back in the rain and it landed on the concrete while he was preparing the tech cam for a shoot. He picked it up, blow off the sensor glass and re-attached it to the tech camera, no problem, we had great shoot and his files looked fine. How about tech support. For instance it's important to me that production or rental houses have the gear that I use. In the Miami market there are at least ten studios which rent digital backs and none rent the Pentax. I understand my viewpoint is only from one perspective. Others without a doubt will be able and are able to function within that limitation.

Thank you for taking your time and effort in shooting the digital back shifting tests and for providing the forum with your perspective on the IQ3-100 back.

Last edited:
You are one confusing individual. Do you have access to the 5 year, 10 year, 20 marketing plans of Hassy, Phase, Pentax, and etc?
Mr Anders Torger first provided his view on this, which I agree. He posted in this thread first:

In the short term the higher end CCDs are protected by the ultra-high price of this new CMOS, but I'm sure there will be more reasonably priced products within a year or so.
You could disagree :) No need for personal attacks...

Mr Anders Torger first provided his view on this, which I agree. He posted in this thread first:

You could disagree :) No need for personal attacks...

Thanks for attaching other posters opinions from the forum about the business side of photography sales. Its a bit of a let down since you do so well with providing your own research and data in regards to digital photography technology.

I don't disagree or agree with you. You are entitled to your opinions. I am so very sorry you felt personally attacked. You must have missed this part of my post.

"Thank you for taking your time and effort......."

It was not my intentions to ruin your day.

narikin

I was wondering, with the latest generation phones moving to USB-C connectors, and HDMI to USB-C adapters being readily available (Amazon, under $20) could one use the hi definition of the latest iPhone or Android flagship as a tethered viewfinder, for the new CMOS backs?

Appreciate you can do this wireless, but that can be troublesome from what I hear, whereas the wired connection would be bullet proof and likely a much higher quality feed. The screens on these devices have amazing resolution, are touch sensitive and nearly all of us own one already.

kdphotography

I miss the years where Phase One had exclusive access to the 80MP sensor. ....
Did I miss a press release? Who else besides Phase-Leaf offers a 80MP digital back or camera?

Regardless, each camera manufacturer seems to put their own spin on the implementation of a sensor, despite being from the same sensor manufacturer. e.g., sensor+, true focus, colors, removeable back vs. camera, etc.

ken

ondebanks

I was wondering, with the latest generation phones moving to USB-C connectors, and HDMI to USB-C adapters being readily available (Amazon, under $20) could one use the hi definition of the latest iPhone or Android flagship as a tethered viewfinder, for the new CMOS backs?

Appreciate you can do this wireless, but that can be troublesome from what I hear, whereas the wired connection would be bullet proof and likely a much higher quality feed. The screens on these devices have amazing resolution, are touch sensitive and nearly all of us own one already.
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Are there any phones or tablets that can display a HD stream directly input from their micro-USB or lightning ports?

If it is indeed technically possible, the only catch as I see it is that the battery life in a phone/tablet running the display continuously will be far short of a screen powered by 2 Canon LP-E6 batteries. You could run the phone/tablet constantly off the AC charger, but that's no good outside the studio.

Ray

jagsiva

Yeah, I was wondering that too. Are there any phones or tablets that can display a HD stream directly input from their micro-USB or lightning ports?

If it is indeed technically possible, the only catch as I see it is that the battery life in a phone/tablet running the display continuously will be far short of a screen powered by 2 Canon LP-E6 batteries. You could run the phone/tablet constantly off the AC charger, but that's no good outside the studio.

Ray
I recall reading somewhere that the Surface Pro could be used as a digitizer and screen via Displayport. I think there are HDMI/DP adapters, so could be possible. I'm sure one of the Surface Pro gurus can help us confirm.

AreBee

Ken,

Did I miss a press release? Who else besides Phase-Leaf offers a 80MP digital back or camera?
I think that was voidshatter's point. Substitute "I miss the years where Phase One had exclusive access to sensors".

Compare to the 50MP CMOS chip and, perhaps, the 100MP CMOS chip in due course...

narikin

Ray
Here's one all ready for HDMI with an eye viewfinder (sidefinder) option:

http://store.smallhd.com/store/501-sidefinders

Just about all you need in 1 package.

That said, my larger size Android 6N phone last 2 days on battery power, has USB-C and a 2K display 5.7" OLED screen. I'd love to use that instead. Hopefully Phase can work this into Capture Pilot App?

jagsiva

I recall reading somewhere that the Surface Pro could be used as a digitizer and screen via Displayport. I think there are HDMI/DP adapters, so could be possible. I'm sure one of the Surface Pro gurus can help us confirm.
Looked further into it. It an be used as a monitor on a windows PC, but can't find anything on using as a simple HDMI monitor. Guess you can still run full C1P and use it via USB.

kdphotography

I like this. Although I really like the idea of the fancier and larger displays units and ability to record, the reality is that it would be overkill for me. This sidefinder option looks like it would resolve the outdoor sun glare issue on a screen...

DougDolde

That said, my larger size Android 6N phone last 2 days on battery power, has USB-C and a 2K display 5.7" OLED screen. I'd love to use that instead. Hopefully Phase can work this into Capture Pilot App?
What a pain just more crap to carry with little real value (for me anyway)

kdphotography

Nothing wrong with having options.

Sometimes I travel light (usually), and other times I bring out all the crap and travel with it.

If Don isn't looking, I stick that extra crap in his backpack and he carries it for me.

:ROTFL:

Nothing wrong with having options.

Sometimes I travel light (usually), and other times I bring out all the crap and travel with it.

If Don isn't looking, I stick that extra crap in his backpack and he carries it for me.

:ROTFL:
This may work either wirelessly or with 500 ft of Hdmi cable.

Last edited:

narikin

Depends what you are shooting with and what style. Obviously what some may think "crap" (thanks for your eloquence) others may deem a ground breaking necessity.

An EVF showing 100Mp MF direct live view (sensor output) for dead on focusing is great for anyone walking about with a lightweight tech camera (Alpa , Arca, Cambo) without a tripod, and they might find this a great solution. You are carrying your phone anyhoo, so how heavy can it be?

Also this turns an Alpa FPS into a 100Mp mirrorless with incredible lens options (Canon, Hassy, Rollei, Contax, Rodenstock, Schneider) focusing at 100% with direct sensor focusing EVF. Definitely not a 'crap' option to my mind!

algrove

In the Miami market there are at least ten studios which rent digital backs and none rent the Pentax. I understand my viewpoint is only from one perspective. Others without a doubt will be able and are able to function within that limitation.
I live a few hours from Miami and would rent you one of my 645Z. However, they are not digital backs, but complete camera bodies. You just need some lenses.