The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ3 100mp. Shipping now. Full frame CMOS. HDMI.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My dealer in Toronto has just advised me that my IQ 100 has landed. Going to pick it up tomorrow - just in time for a month-long trip to Australia. Will report in due course!
Bill

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Bill,

I think that it would be a huge mistake to go pick up your new IQ3 100 so close to going on a month long trip to Australia. It's the normal recommendation never to take new, untested, unfamiliar gear with you on such a type of trip. I'd recommend that you take your IQ380 / XF gear.

As a personal favor, I'll happily fly up to Toronto and pick up the IQ3 100 for you and break it in for you. When you get back any teething issues with that back will be sorted out between me and your dealer and you'll have a rock solid field tested/hardened back when you return.

What do you think?

:ROTFL::chug:

Ok, maybe not then. Enjoy your new uber MFDB. Many of us here will live vicariously through your experience with it. :thumbs:

jagsiva

Bill,

As a personal favor, I'll happily fly up to Toronto and pick up the IQ3 100 for you and break it in for you. When you get back any teething issues with that back will be sorted out between me and your dealer and you'll have a rock solid field tested/hardened back when you return.
Bill,

In that case, I don't even need a flight, I'm just a nice scenic 2 hr ride away, no need to worry about customs, duties etc., and I could even break in the IQ3100MP on actual landscape images in the very areas you'll be using it. As a bonus, I know Walter quite well, and have any issues resolved well in advance of your return. I can even throw in a Maple Leafe Lounge pass!;)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Graham, Jagsiva, you have no idea what wonderful warm feelings of comradeship you have evoked. Your generosity is overwhelming and it took me several hours (or was that seconds?) to carefully consider such unselfish, giving behaviour on your part.

Alas, my dealer has taken away my 380 in trade so I have no alternative but to decline your much appreciated offers. But thanks for thinking of me....
Bill

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Haven't had much chance to use the IQ 100 properly yet as I'm struggling with airline travel etc, but my first two impressions are (1) live view is excellent and (2) ISO 800 is very very clean. More to come in the real world.

engel001

Re: In the Air with the IQ3 100

I did a test flight with the newly purchased IQ3 101 ;) , XF and different lenses: 80LS, 110LS, 150LS, 120 Macro, 240LS
It was a very small helicopter (Robinson R44) which produce lots of vibrations. I'm happy to report that I managed to get sharp Images from any of those lenses.

JPG below
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7wvLNihUwDEeEVNdmNfTkk3anM/view?usp=sharing

The subject does not matter, the idea was just to test the equipment.
Sorry, no model right in the middle of the frame with an awesome makup, the latest profoto and with 100% crop on the eyes ;-)
The helicopter was flying at about 80kts while I took this shot. (1 door off)

No processing, just levels adjustment, otherwise standard settings (capture one 9.02), exported as Tiff 16 bit Profoto, saved as JPEG Quality 8 (sRGB, 8 bits)
Sharpness is lacking in the upper left and right corners, OK in upper center.

Thanks for attaching other posters opinions from the forum about the business side of photography sales. Its a bit of a let down since you do so well with providing your own research and data in regards to digital photography technology.

I don't disagree or agree with you. You are entitled to your opinions. I am so very sorry you felt personally attacked. You must have missed this part of my post.

"Thank you for taking your time and effort......."

It was not my intentions to ruin your day.
I am surprised that no one is interested in this rumor after all.

Ricoh has signed a deal with Sony for their new 100MP sensor that was already used by PhaseOne for their latest camera. This info is coming from Kenneth Sporsheim, Pentax Ambassador for the Nordic countries:

“It’s more than just a rumour, it was told directly to me from Ricoh. BUT, they also said that this doesn’t mean they have a camera ready for this sensor. They CAN use it if they need/want to do so. But who knows what they are brainstorming at the HQ in Japan.” (source: dpreview, Pentaxforums)

Similar information was also posted on Pentaxone few days ago by a good source who have been right in the past.

http://pentaxrumors.com/2016/03/17/...ost-liekly-have-a-100mp-sony-sensor/#more-767

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Perhaps. I have been mostly away from keyboard for a couple of weeks so I have little clue about what's going on. If Pentax does put that sensor into a new 645 body then gg to those existing MFDBs.
When Pentax released the 645Z the pace at which we sold Team Phase One 50mp backs increased. So my guess is if Pentax releases a 100mp version of its system it would be a net positive for Phase One.

When Pentax released the 645Z the pace at which we sold Team Phase One 50mp backs increased. So my guess is if Pentax releases a 100mp version of its system it would be a net positive for Phase One.
Perhaps. However I still stand with my original opinion that if the day of Pentax 100 MP comes, then almost all current MFDBs (with the exception of the 100 MP CMOS from PhaseOne/Hasselblad) could drop value drastically.

kdphotography

I am surprised that no one is interested in this rumor after all.

I think there is already too much rumor and conjecture on the forums as it is, imho.

I could sit, worry, spin in circles, keep wondering "what if..."

Or I could simply appreciate what is actually in my hands.

And work as a photographer.

And enjoy the process and experience of photography.

:)

M

mjr

Perhaps. However I still stand with my original opinion that if the day of Pentax 100 MP comes, then almost all current MFDBs (with the exception of the 100 MP CMOS from PhaseOne/Hasselblad) could drop value drastically.
Yup, it will wipe the floor with everything, unless of course you want leaf shutters, the option to use on a tech cam, the form factor of the S or to use C1, but apart from that, it will brilliant. Why does this feel like a sketch from Monte Python?? Yes, but apart from that, what did the Romans ever do for us?! Haha!

tjv

What lenses in the Pentax lineup could keep up with full frame 100mpx? People complain enough about the variable quality of the lenses on a crop sensor, afterall.

What we can all bet on is that all the major players (save Leica) will be using the same 100mpx sensor in due course, maybe earlier than first predicted. For those that are "in the game" it's a good time to be a photographer.

WIth regards to the Phase offering, I'm of no doubt that its an incredible piece of kit and the XF an amazing leap forward for them. Now for me, I'm off to contemplate a mount swap for my Credo 60...

DougDolde

I could buy that new Pentax and all their good digital lenses for less than the $26,000 it would cost to upgrade my IQ180. Not only that but I'd still have the IQ180 !

Christopher

I could buy that new Pentax and all their good digital lenses for less than the $26,000 it would cost to upgrade my IQ180. Not only that but I'd still have the IQ180 !

If the price stays the same. I do think it will be more than the current 50MP and that they keep selling both to slightly different groups.

What we can all bet on is that all the major players (save Leica) will be using the same 100mpx sensor in due course, maybe earlier than first predicted. For those that are "in the game" it's a good time to be a photographer.
Exactly. People can choose to get rid of previous products asap to minimize financial loss due to depreciation, or to carry on enjoying what they already have.

Dan Santoso

Hi Doug,

I finally download the skin tone comparison. My finding with yours sample, 380 looks very similar with 3100.

When i compare my 180 with 3100 (during launch in my country), i can see that the 3100 has more reddish skin tone. I am not sure if this is because you have the latest firmware or something else but i am happy to find them very similar now.

Thanks

Our test files are now posted: Phase One 100mp Raw Tests