The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Color cast on technical cameras.

jerome_m

I noticed that picture in the thread about the IQ3100:

The picture is taken with the IQ3100 and the Rodenstock 32mm f/4 HR Digaron-W.

I don't use a technical cam, so this is the first time I see a demonstration of the colour shift. Is this level of colour cast common with lenses designed for technical cameras?

Paul2660

I noticed that picture in the thread about the IQ3100:

The picture is taken with the IQ3100 and the Rodenstock 32mm f/4 HR Digaron-W.

I don't use a technical cam, so this is the first time I see a demonstration of the colour shift. Is this level of colour cast common with lenses designed for technical cameras?
This image was processed with C1 9.0.2 which current is adding a green cast to the processed LCC files for the 3100. It's my understanding a fix is in process for this issue. Without the fix its hard to gauge the color cast issues

If you search on this site for some of voidshatter's posts on other Phase One backs and tech cameras you can see some good examples of the normal red/magenta color cast with shifts. The 23 28 and even the 32 can show a bit of color cast even on center shots.

Paul C

jerome_m

If you search on this site for some of voidshatter's posts on other Phase One backs and tech cameras you can see some good examples of the normal red/magenta color cast with shifts.
I have seen other threads, but they only had images of a white reference surface. This is the only time I have seen the shift on a normal subject.

Of course, it is possible I overlooked another image, I don't follow the threads on technical cams very closely. I am not interested in a technical cam for myself.

torger

I have seen other threads, but they only had images of a white reference surface. This is the only time I have seen the shift on a normal subject.

Of course, it is possible I overlooked another image, I don't follow the threads on technical cams very closely. I am not interested in a technical cam for myself.
Note that color cast is removed when you apply an LCC. If there's a residual color cast left then it's because there's a software bug (like in the example above) or the sensor is totally incompatible with the lens and then they should not be used together.

Color cast exists to some extent also in normal cameras, I even see it in my mobile phone wide angle camera if I shoot an even surface. If you make an LCC shot on a wide angle on an SLR you will probably see some small amount also there.

Tech lenses pushes the limit though so applying an LCC is necessary. The reason we're so obsessed with LCC these days is because today's sensors (the Sonys) have not been designed to be compatible with the tech lenses and when it's pushed past the limit strange things can happen. The Sonys have such much over-capacity in tonality and dynamic range so we're going further past the design limit than was thinkable with previous sensors.

jerome_m

This links shows a bit more of the effects, the LCC's are before, showing full color cast. The image after, but I have plenty of them before and will post one later today. Showing the effect on the file before the LCC is processed.

Paul C

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-format-systems-and-digital-backs/52000-lcc-23hr-35hr-40hr-iq250.html?highlight=IQ250
Thank you for the link. To my eyes, the degradation on the 23 HR lens when shifted 15mm is severe. Not only color cast but sharpness too.