The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100 ISO Sweep, from Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

Another test (with more to come) to validate ISO performance in a natural and not all that easy environment (again with shifting light, etc).

After downloading, but before viewing, here is what I would recommend:

Click the Master Reset Arrow in Capture One (left turning arrow in top toolbar that points to a vertical line - which, in Copenhagen, means, "Back to the starting line!") This then resets all adjustments. There were some contrast adjustments made for the finished EIP files and my preference is for you to begin viewing in an "as shot" state, without adjustments.

Then pull the Luminance Slider in the Noise Reduction Tool all the way to the left (value of 0) and the Details Slider to the right to a value of 70. That way you can see all the noise structure and grain without smoothing.

Also - I’ve asked for the color checker shot, if I come up with it, I will have it added to the shot selection.

Overall - once you’ve reset the adjustments, they look pretty impressive for 100 megapixel high ISO.

The Schneider 110mm/2.8 lens was used on the XF Camera for all of these shots. I also noticed the apertures used ranged from f/2.8 to f/22. I would not recommend using any lens on the IQ3 100 at a smaller aperture than f/11, if optimal sharpness is the objective. So the last capture with an aperture no smaller than f/11 is ISO 800. As a result, the ISO 1600/3200/6400/12,800 captures appear softer than they should be - this is a reflection of the non-optimal aperture used, not loss of detail due to the high ISO (though the 6400 and 12,800 ISO settings used in those captures may also contribute to that).

And, as always, you may download to your heart's content, no email address submission required.

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-iq3-100mp-iso-sweep/

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Paul2660

Steve

Thanks, for the post.

Curious, what would have happened to the details on the ISO 3200 and up if the shutter speed had been increased enough so that the aperture could stay at around F11?

Looking at the crop with all the speeds together, 12800, pretty much as I expected, maybe usable in a small file?

up to 800 details look very good, at 1600, shadows get a bit mushy, but areas with good lighting still hold up well.

3200 and up, a bit iffy? But the 200, to 1600 (where I really wanted it) looks very good.

I noted your comment on not using aperture past F11 for best results. I wonder how software like Piccure+ would work on image past F11? I have found it to be by far the best sharpening tool, but it has extremely slow processing speeds on a 60MP image, I can't image what it would do on 100MP shots, but I guess they could be cut into 2 parts to be sharpened!! The results from Piccure are really impressive.

Paul C

Paul2660

Steve:

Belay that first post.

Not sure what profile C1 used on the files, but when you open the eip files, they were worked with the IQ250 profile.

I went back to the IQ100 profile on the 1600 and up and the results were very impressive. Noise characteristics are totally different between the two profiles. Even the shadows are very good, looking at the hair and dress. The details of the model's hair between the two profiles is amazing, in that the IQ100 profile shows very little noise and impressive detail even at ISO 6400

Very good test, and thanks
Paul C

Steve Hendrix

Steve:

Belay that first post.

Not sure what profile C1 used on the files, but when you open the eip files, they were worked with the IQ250 profile.

I went back to the IQ100 profile on the 1600 and up and the results were very impressive. Noise characteristics are totally different between the two profiles. Even the shadows are very good, looking at the hair and dress. The details of the model's hair between the two profiles is amazing, in that the IQ100 profile shows very little noise and impressive detail even at ISO 6400

Very good test, and thanks
Paul C

The ColorChecker raw has now been added to this collection.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very nice natural light model shots. I downloaded the ISO 50 files to mainly look at the skin tones. Paul is correct the IQ250 profile was used which added a bit of warm tones to the skin. One of the most challenging areas when shooting portraits with a digital camera is the shadow area between the hair and face. To my eye the roll off or transition from hair to shadow to skin is very pleasing.

I made a new variant and applied the IQ300 profile and the tones become even nicer, the skin shifts to a more neutral color which is actually a better base to start from before going to the adjustment layer tools for dodging and burning. I actually needed only to bump up the exposure a wee bit, add contrast to 5 and desaturate the image to minus -5.

We are both on calibrated Eizo monitors.

I'm not sure of the time of day you shot the image, but to do the color grade I used the curve channels blue/red according to give a bit of warmth to the backlighted hair.

Two quick questions. Did you hand hold the camera on the ISO 50 photos. What color was the fill reflector?

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the very nice natural light model shots. I downloaded the ISO 50 files to mainly look at the skin tones. Paul is correct the IQ250 profile was used which added a bit of warm tones to the skin. One of the most challenging areas when shooting portraits with a digital camera is the shadow area between the hair and face. To my eye the roll off or transition from hair to shadow to skin is very pleasing.

I made a new variant and applied the IQ300 profile and the tones become even nicer, the skin shifts to a more neutral color which is actually a better base to start from before going to the adjustment layer tools for dodging and burning. I actually needed only to bump up the exposure a wee bit, add contrast to 5 and desaturate the image to minus -5.

We are both on calibrated Eizo monitors.

I'm not sure of the time of day you shot the image, but to do the color grade I used the curve channels blue/red according to give a bit of warmth to the backlighted hair.

Two quick questions. Did you hand hold the camera on the ISO 50 photos. What color was the fill reflector?

Hi Jeffrey -

I was not involved in the shoot session nor the editing. So I'm not sure of the fill reflector (but can find out), and will also determine hand holding or tripod (there is a sample shot on the tripod overlooking the railroad, but not sure if that was utilized for the shots with the model.

However, just now as I took a closer look with that in mind, I think it was, because there seem to be 2 sets of framing (one level, one not level, he-he), but other than the shift in level, the framing seems to be consistent - keep an eye on the left side of the brick building, there's a doorway frame that seems to maintain the same position throughout the level shots, and also throughout the non level shots.

I didn't notice the IQ250 profile was utilized for some reason, but I did notice the unusual warmth of the tones when the files were presented. I would also recommend re-color balancing with the Color Checker, as I did and noticed that a few files seemed to change, while most stayed the same, so it is possible not all files were color balanced.

Steve Hendrix
CI