The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad FW Update R248

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bob the back wall is what I meant sorry i drew outside the lines. LOL
You are correct..that ceiling is 35 feet from the point of focus at F4.8 and was very dark but at 100% there is a loss of detail...I think that this will be a last ditch setting for most of us.

Bob

fotografz

Good news, the one pixel line was an anomaly ... I used my new 32 gig CF card and a freshly charged battery, and it disappeared.

Even better news was some available light 1600 shots I did early this AM .... this is really useable for my wedding work ... and I discovered something interesting while playing around with Phocus ... I used the B&W option in Phocus when converting it to a tiff .... which produced an unusably flat tiff file ... but when I opened it in PSCS4 and hit auto contrast ... it made a perfect B&W which I was unable to match by converting the color version of the same file ... and it had far less noise. Real magic there. That is going to really speed up my wedding work flow.

docmoore

Marc,

I hope to try the BW conversion you mentioned tonight on a few files. It is nice to have this additional ISO step after waiting this past year. Do you see and improvement across the board or only at 800/1600? I shot a few pictures last evening at 200 on the H3D II 39 and they were 1/2 stop under and looked awful when I raised them from DNG in PS CS4. I need to export as TIFF-16 and compare them.

Bob

docmoore

Marc,

I tried the Greyscale output from Phocus.

Here is Marc's conversion on an ISO 50 file...converted to 16 bit RGB then contrast corrected. You are right that the file imports as flat as can be...just like the scans from FLexcolor....very nice.

Bob

Last edited:

PeterA

That is an impressive look. I will try and upgrade this weekend down at farm - too busy to do so during this week. Thanks Doc and Marc for your posts.

docmoore

Peter,

As usual Marc is on to something good...just watch your histogram as the greyscale is 8 bit and if you do a lot of post you may want to convert to RGB 16 bit upon opening in CS4.

Upgrade to R248 and Phocus 1.1.3 went without any problems.

Bob

Marc,

I hope to try the BW conversion you mentioned tonight on a few files. It is nice to have this additional ISO step after waiting this past year. Do you see and improvement across the board or only at 800/1600? I shot a few pictures last evening at 200 on the H3D II 39 and they were 1/2 stop under and looked awful when I raised them from DNG in PS CS4. I need to export as TIFF-16 and compare them.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Exporting to DNG will lose all the benefits of the extra stop ISO. The increase on the camera goes part and parcel with Phocus so you need to use both in combo for the benefit!

David

docmoore

David,

I assumed as much but was testing a new lens...delivered to me an hour prior to sunset. Not a lot of time to unpack and run off a few shots. It is quite evident that DNG output is best for quick editing of shots for out of focus bad composition culling and not much more.

I will go back this morning and try to recover a few of the better shots with Phocus.

Thanks,

Bob

fotografz

Hi Bob,

Exporting to DNG will lose all the benefits of the extra stop ISO. The increase on the camera goes part and parcel with Phocus so you need to use both in combo for the benefit!

David
Are we sure about that?

I exported an untouched 1600 file in both file formats, and they looked the same (????), and the exif info on both says 1600.

What I mean is that the noise levels are likely to be much lower in the Phocus->TIFF conversion as opposed to Phocus->DNG->TIFF>

Although maybe Lightroom/CS4 is doing a better job now?

woodyspedden

Good news, the one pixel line was an anomaly ... I used my new 32 gig CF card and a freshly charged battery, and it disappeared.

Even better news was some available light 1600 shots I did early this AM .... this is really useable for my wedding work ... and I discovered something interesting while playing around with Phocus ... I used the B&W option in Phocus when converting it to a tiff .... which produced an unusably flat tiff file ... but when I opened it in PSCS4 and hit auto contrast ... it made a perfect B&W which I was unable to match by converting the color version of the same file ... and it had far less noise. Real magic there. That is going to really speed up my wedding work flow.
Marc

IIRC Hasselblad recently sent out a warning to not use the 32GB cards in the H3DII cameras. Am I wrong about this?

Woody

fotografz

Yes they did, it was a caution until they could investigate further.... and rescinded it for all models except the H3D-II/50 ... which they promptly corrected with a firmware update a couple of days later.

All's well for 32 gig CFs Woody.

arashm

Marc and Bob
Your black and white conversion from PH>CS3>contrast is great...
It has a Ilford SFX feel to it, which I used to love back in the day.
Thanks for the heads up :)
am