The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 32HR + CF IQ3/100 Sample from Alpa

jagsiva

Note really except that it is shot with a CF. Noise in the corners looks a lot better. Also likely processed with some new beta of C1. Colour casts look a little better, but can't really comment without a baseline raw file. Waiting patiently for the new 9.0.3

torger

With a smooth single-colored surface where the color of the surface is similar to the color of the LCC shot any crosstalk-related issues are minimized. This is such a shot so I'd expect it to work quite well.

Say if you shoot a building with some brightly colored signs near the top then it's much more likely to get issues.

But you can of course assume that you'll never do that, and then you may be fine.

It's also very easy to get rid of the mazing issue 100% is software, which Phase One may choose to do in their future LCC algorithms, then crosstalk will never show as mazing, but only show as slight detail loss, desaturations, reduced tonality and color shifts which is harder to detect.

There may be some other issues too though, difficult to remove ripple and other uniformity issues on plain blue skies is something than you may want further investigation of too. I haven't looked at this myself but heard such reports about the first Alpa 32HR shot.

At a design level the Dalsa 6um sensor (IQ360) was the last sensor the Rodenstocks wides were made for, just like the Kodak 6um was the last sensor the Schneider wides were made for. The later ones pushes them past the limit and it's only about how much we can accept. As people have different acceptance for these issues it's impossible to give any general recommendation, I guess that's one reason why Phase One pushes it to the users.

If robustness is your thing, stay with the 60MP Dalsas. Those are not 100% artifact-free either though, and unfortunately their tiling and to some extent ripple issues (which I don't think Rodenstock knew about when designing their lenses) has lowered our expectations on what to expect. Personally I found even the Dalsas to be a bit messy so I settled with an old-school Kodak and hoped for some knew CMOS tech that could turns around and make my lenses usable again in the way I want. It didn't turn out that way unfortunately so the future is still uncertain...