The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera Movements and RetroFocus Lenses

torger

The HTS being a teleconverter is an "optical cropper" (plus tilt). With the small pixel size of the 100MP sensor, which surely is coming to Hasselblad soon, I wonder if the optical cropper will provide any reasonable gain compared to just skipping the HTS and crop digitally. I would guess there still is a small advantage, but the higher pixel count the lesser value the HTS will have for wide angle photography where tilt is rarely used.

Lobalobo

The HTS being a teleconverter is an "optical cropper" (plus tilt). With the small pixel size of the 100MP sensor, which surely is coming to Hasselblad soon, I wonder if the optical cropper will provide any reasonable gain compared to just skipping the HTS and crop digitally. I would guess there still is a small advantage, but the higher pixel count the lesser value the HTS will have for wide angle photography where tilt is rarely used.
Well you know more about all this than I do, but I'm not sure I get what you mean when you say a shift is an "optical cropper." The only movement I regularly use is up shift to compose a high subject (such as a building or a tree) without tilting the plane of capture out of parallel with the subject. Cropping is no substitute for shifting in this regard, is it? If I'm missing something, please let me know.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well you know more about all this than I do, but I'm not sure I get what you mean when you say a shift is an "optical cropper." The only movement I regularly use is up shift to compose a high subject (such as a building or a tree) without tilting the plane of capture out of parallel with the subject. Cropping is no substitute for shifting in this regard, is it? If I'm missing something, please let me know.
Shoot level and super wide and crop. You get the lack of tilting subject but at the loss of ultimate resolution.

torger

The HTS is an 1.5x teleconverter with shift/tilt capability. That is it enlarges the image circle of the lens. Just like a normal teleconverter when pixel count on the sensor gets high enough you can start considering to crop instead of using the teleconverter at all. In the normal teleconverter case you always crop around the center of course, but for doing the same as the HTS does shifted you crop off-center. So you shoot with your HCD24 lens level with the full view and then crop off-center as desired.

At some point a very sharp ultrawide combined with a very high pixel count sensor can also replace what tech cam lenses do, but there's still a gap in optical performance and sensor resolution. It would however be interesting to compare IQ3 100MP center frames on 23HR/28HR or one of the XF/H ultrawide lenses cropped off-center compared to IQ360 40HR shifted. I think that the IQ360 wouldn't be that much ahead. An advantage with center frames is that it's easier to make static lens corrections, while the generically shifted needs both LCC and either no correction or manually set parameters.

Architecture photographers that look into as effective workflows as possible could start to like the center frame + crop method.

Lobalobo

The HTS is an 1.5x teleconverter with shift/tilt capability. That is it enlarges the image circle of the lens. Just like a normal teleconverter when pixel count on the sensor gets high enough you can start considering to crop instead of using the teleconverter at all. In the normal teleconverter case you always crop around the center of course, but for doing the same as the HTS does shifted you crop off-center. So you shoot with your HCD24 lens level with the full view and then crop off-center as desired.
So the idea is, I take it, that one could crop to cover the top of an image captured with a 24mm lens or up-shift on 36mm lens to essentially the same coverage. Makes sense.

torger

Sort of.

Hassy's HCD24mm is not a full-frame lens.
Like some (many?) Hassy lenses it's indeed designed for the now unfortunately dead 49x37 format. But I've heard the lenses have some margin and works with the 54x41mm too.

Is there hard vignette on the 24 for H4D-60? Anyone who knows?

jerome_m

Like some (many?) Hassy lenses it's indeed designed for the now unfortunately dead 49x37 format.
Only the 24, 28 and 35-90 are designed for that format (and, for the 35-90, only under 40mm).

But I've heard the lenses have some margin and works with the 54x41mm too.
They can be used on the H4D-60. That camera will automatically apply a crop which will give 55 mpix instead of 60. That function can be disabled.

I would have to check, but I think a tiny bit of the extreme corners are dark on film, yes.

Lobalobo

Only the 24, 28 and 35-90 are designed for that format (and, for the 35-90, only under 40mm). They can be used on the H4D-60. That camera will automatically apply a crop which will give 55 mpix instead of 60. That function can be disabled.
My recollection is that Hasselblad advertises that HD-60 permits full functionality of the Tilt-Shift Adapter, which I assume includes these wide-angle lenses; guess the 1.5x teleconverter significantly upsizes the image circle.

jerome_m

My recollection is that Hasselblad advertises that HD-60 permits full functionality of the Tilt-Shift Adapter, which I assume includes these wide-angle lenses; guess the 1.5x teleconverter significantly upsizes the image circle.
Yes, the TS adapter upsizes the image circle x1.5, there is a direct relation between the teleconverting part and the image circle.

jerome_m

Like some (many?) Hassy lenses it's indeed designed for the now unfortunately dead 49x37 format. But I've heard the lenses have some margin and works with the 54x41mm too.

In the mean time, I remembered I still have an old H1 lying around and, of course, its viewfinder shows the full 54x41mm film area. When I mount the HCD 24 or the HCD 28 on it, I see no darkening of the corners.