The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon medium format

Uaiomex

It is possible to use the new TS lenses with their huge image circles with a hypotethical rangefinder medium format camera. See this image right from CanonUsa.
I just added a 33X44 frame in blue and a 36X48 in green.
Just idle tonight.
Eduardo
View attachment 12667

Uaiomex

But the image circle size is real. It only needs a bigger sensor to take adavantage of the whole picture. The only problem would be the short distance of the flange mount wich must be close to the diagonal. That's why I suggest a rangefinder camera, not a reflex.
One lens line for 2 formats! Not likely to happen, but it's fun wondering about other possibilities for existing products.
Eduardo

Edit: Or is it obstructed by the lens inner barrel itself? In that case, it wouldn't be possible.

Can't see how, that image circle is only obtained through physically shifting...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 17mm is something I would consider bolting on my Phase body. If I can get some T/S out of it even if I had to crop some that maybe okay. We need a guinea pig here and also how good is this Canon lens too. Which makes me wonder

Uaiomex

I just "mounted" my 45TS to a Tachihara 4X5 by hand holding and trying to keep it focused on infinity. The image circle was about 60mm, which is close to the adevertised 58. So it seems it could work on a technical camera. If shifted all the way, the EF mount obstructs the back element but unshifted (centered) the whole image projects because of the wide inner barrel. I wonder how to stop it down.

LJL

The 17mm is something I would consider bolting on my Phase body. If I can get some T/S out of it even if I had to crop some that maybe okay. We need a guinea pig here and also how good is this Canon lens too. Which makes me wonder
I kinda have my doubts that this would work, but I too would love to be proven wrong on that count. What is not clear is if the 17mm f4 TSE image circle of 67.2mm or so includes the shift or not. If that includes the shift, then there may not be anything to gain with this lens mounted on a Phase body, if that was even possible. If the image circle does NOT include the shift (hard to imagine that large an image circle for a DSLR body), then what is the additional shift gain?

This could be a very interesting lens on a FF DSLR, as it seems intended. If the corner-to-corner sharpness holds up, as they are advertising, this could breathe some life into doing interiors with a Canon body, and gaining the higher ISO capabilities if needed....say in churches, museums, and other dimly lit places.

LJ

LJL

Forgot about stopping the lens down. This has no aperture rings on the lens.
That only applies if mounted on cameras that lack the electronic aperture control. The EOS cameras have this, so it is not an issue. If you try mounting on a Phase body, then whoever is able to build an adaptor has to figure out how to control that aperture through the mount. Not going to hold my breath on that one.

LJ

Uaiomex

If I'm not mistaken and according to what I can see with both a 24TS and 45TS, the whole glass assembly moves as one thing. If seen in reverse, with the lens unmounted, the only shifting part of the lens is just the part that attaches the lens to the body. It seems the whole image, 58mm in the case of my lenses, project all the time. Shifting doesn't create more coverage, it only repositions a part of the whole image over the film/sensor.

They can't be used with a Phase body because of their shorter distance flange. They could be used with a technical or view camera though.

I kinda have my doubts that this would work, but I too would love to be proven wrong on that count. What is not clear is if the 17mm f4 TSE image circle of 67.2mm or so includes the shift or not. If that includes the shift, then there may not be anything to gain with this lens mounted on a Phase body, if that was even possible. If the image circle does NOT include the shift (hard to imagine that large an image circle for a DSLR body), then what is the additional shift gain?

This could be a very interesting lens on a FF DSLR, as it seems intended. If the corner-to-corner sharpness holds up, as they are advertising, this could breathe some life into doing interiors with a Canon body, and gaining the higher ISO capabilities if needed....say in churches, museums, and other dimly lit places.

LJ

carstenw

I don't know what use it would be, even if it were possible. I mean, who wants Canon wide angle corners on a sensor which can record detail...

Uaiomex

If I owned a dback, I'd say me. We still have to see how sharp or soft are these 2 new lenses at the corners. On the 17mm, it would give the widest view possible today on a digital medium format sensor. I shoot with Canon. I know I will eventually get these 2. I am always intrigued by alternative uses of my gear. Some are not.

I don't know what use it would be, even if it were possible. I mean, who wants Canon wide angle corners on a sensor which can record detail...

Arjuna

"They could be used with a technical or view camera though."

Perhaps, but mounting a tilt/shift lens on a camera that can do shifts and/or tilts with any lens seems a bit redundant.

Uaiomex

True, but please read my first post here.

Perhaps, but mounting a tilt/shift lens on a camera that can do shifts and/or tilts with any lens seems a bit redundant.[/QUOTE]

J

jmvdigital

Haha. Canon crappy glass was the primary reason I got rid of my entire kit.

LJL

Will have to wait to see what real world images look like from these new lenses. My optimistic hope is that Canon is starting to "get it" and is truly looking to build some nicer lenses. Let's face it, they have dropped a few new and interesting wider angle things into the market lately, and though some may still think they could be better, the newer glass is not looking as bad as the older stuff. These new TSE lenses could be a pleasant surprise and perform will....even to the corners. Will be nice to see some shots once they hit the market.

LJ

P.S. Justin, I too have been lamenting the poor wide angle and corner performance on the Canon glass of old, but that could be changing. The older Canon TSE lenses were really not that bad, but the 24 needed this update, so maybe there is more good new to come for others in their line also. Just a thought.