The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silly question?! Flash sync and tech camera

M

mjr

Morning all.

Might be a daft question but is it possible to use flash with a digital back on a tech camera? If I was using say a Rodenstock 90mm HRSW lens on a tech camera, what shutter speed can I sync flash with?

Thanks in advance!

Mat

vjbelle

If your Rody is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter than you will sync at any available shutter speed. The Copal's use leaf shutters.

Victor

torger

Yes you can, I've done it once.

I'm rusty on flash theory though, so the sync speed things someone else need to provide details on. However I think it syncs at all speeds available on the shutter, as it's a leaf shutter. [EDIT: as Victor says above]

If you use a copal shutter max speed is 1/500 on copal 0. If you use a Hasselblad back with Kodak the practical limit is about 1/125, otherwise the autosync mode often fails (that is the back's ability to react to the shutter signal, unrelated to flash). The Phase One Kodak backs (P25+, P45+ etc) with wakeup procedure can handle the full shutter speed, as well as the Dalsa-based backs, and Sony-based backs of course.

M

mjr

Thanks gents, I understand that the copal O can sync at any speed in theory but will require testing. It will likely be on a IQ260 so presume zero latency mode will allow all shutter speeds.

Thanks again.

Mat

vjbelle

There shouldn't be any difference between latency settings. I rarely use zero latency and have always used flash with normal latency.

Victor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Flash Sync Speed and Zero/Normal Latency are unrelated.

Sync speed on a tech camera is up to the max speed of the shutter (1/500 for a copal 0).

Make sure your transmitter can handle 1/500th with a leaf shutter. For instance a standard PocketWizard in normal mode cannot, and you'll lose light at that speed, but not because of the back/lens (but because the transmitter is taking too long to trigger the strobe).

M

mjr

Thanks, I understand, I misunderstood Torgers meaning in his post. So second simple question, what is the process with a IQ260? Cable from lens to back, I haven't seen an IQ back before so cable sync to flash? Or is there a way to fire with my profoto air remote?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get things in order before everything arrives.

Thanks

Mat

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks, I understand, I misunderstood Torgers meaning in his post. So second simple question, what is the process with a IQ260? Cable from lens to back, I haven't seen an IQ back before so cable sync to flash? Or is there a way to fire with my profoto air remote?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get things in order before everything arrives.

Thanks

Mat
A [Multiport to Sync] cable goes from the lens to the back whether dealing with strobe or not. When using strobe you then plug the flash sync cable (to the strobe direct, or to the transmitter) into the digital back flash sync port.

Don't apologize for questions! But do remember you have every right to ask your dealer to step you through these things as it is, quite literally, their job :). Most of my day is spent answering such questions from Digital Transitions' customers.

M

mjr

Great, thanks Doug, I understand now. Is there diagram that shows the ports on the IQ260? I looked at the documentation but it doesn't give a breakdown of the different ports.

Cheers

Mat

kdphotography

Great, thanks Doug, I understand now. Is there diagram that shows the ports on the IQ260? I looked at the documentation but it doesn't give a breakdown of the different ports.

Cheers

Mat
Mat,

Set up your tech camera as usual. Then hook up your wireless transmitter (or long pc sync cable) to the pc sync port on the side of the digital back. To use the Profoto Air remote, you'll need to use a pc sync cord to mini phone similar to using a Pocket Wizard and connecting it to the camera or in this case, the digital back.

Meter your lights, adjust your camera settings and shoot!

M

mjr

Thanks Ken, will do! Looking forward to using it although I will miss the Leica a lot!

Have a good weekend all.

Mat