The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase XF release cable out yet

faneuil

just headed to a shoot and realized that phase changed up the release cable multiconnector port :<
Is there a new release cable or adapter available yet?
Just silly change.. ka-ching..

Eric

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not yet. It's coming soon apparently.

You are correct that the adapter change is a pain although hopefully that's because it exposes more future functionality. I borrowed a pre-fabbed prototype cable for the XF at the CI event last week and it worked perfectly. It was literally the original release spliced to the new connector. I hear that there may be an adapter for old -> new connectors coming - I hope so as I have several and would rather not have to buy new ones unless they are adding something very significant or more reliable. (My Phase / Mamiya releases had a tendency to fall apart at the plug over time which hopefully they've addressed)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
just headed to a shoot and realized that phase changed up the release cable multiconnector port :<
Is there a new release cable or adapter available yet?
Just silly change.. ka-ching..

Eric
The change is to allow more flexibility (namely more communication pins) for other accessories over the decade+ during which the XF platform will be the primary platform for Phase One. For instance this port will also be the port used for AC power when in a studio still life, product, or cultural heritage imaging use case.

That said the change is surely annoying as heck for those that just want a darn cable release and find themselves unable to use the last-generation one due to what seems like a small change in the port design (but is actually a fairly consequential in the port design), so I sympathize with you there.

And I agree Graham, the durability of the last generation cable release was "okay" at best and certainly not up to Phase One's usually very high durability standards. Hopefully the wait for a new one will be justified by an improved one.

faneuil

thanks Doug.

I assume this is a standard 12 pin connector of some sort.
could I just DIM (do it Myself)?
I am actually more interested in connecting to 3mm jack for remote triggering.

Eric

kdphotography

It just depends on how good you are at, "do it yourself." (Me: "huh--- well now I know what it looks like inside..." :rolleyes:)

The prototype cable that we had at CI in Carmel was actually a custom cable (read: fancy expensive splice) but worked well. The splice was covered by a long sealed rubber sleeve.

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I don't think that Ziv would have been too pleased if I'd stripped the splice cover off to determine the pin mapping but I could of ... :ROTFL: And replacing the bond is just a matter of a new heat cable shrink wrap.

strok

I don't have an iPhone. The promised android version of capture pilot still not released. I have a trip in two months and getting extremely frustraited with phase one. First of all i don't want to have another device which requires a battery and i have to remember to charge it or remember not to use it because i have to keep the battery full. I like the feeling of remote control in my hand where i don't have to look at a screen to find a release button. Looks like i will have to spend $250 for ipod touch and flush it in a toilet few months later.

DougDolde

That doesn't work with IQ1xx and at -10 or -15C I need gloves. OK winter is nearly over but surely it can't be that hard for Phase One to fix this ?
They are in no rush when it's a cheap item with little profit to be made.