The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PhaseONE (Dalsa) on RZ67ProIID

Just a question:

I am trying to puzzle together all information about using a Dalsa based back on RZ67ProIID.
Afaik, I need an adapter plate (HX701) but I am at complete loss with cables:

Do I need a cable to trigger back or does adapter plate does that for you by default?
To use mirror lock up function, do I need a cable to sync with leaf shutter in lens?
To use strobes, do I simply mount trigger on the hot shoe? That should sync with leaf shutter?
Or do I need to design own cable that will daisy chain leaf->trigger->back?

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Best Regards

steve_cor

The HX701 works only on the D model and it doesn't need any sync cable.

To use mirror lock up, it's the same as with a film back. You screw a cable release into the lens. When you press the camera shutter release, the mirror goes up, but the lens shutter doesn't fire. Then you press the cable release on the lens to take the shot.

To use strobes, it's the same as with a film back. Yes, you can mount a trigger on the hot shoe, if it will fit. My Flex TT5 doesn't fit because it hits the focus knob. But you can use a little extension.

--Steve.

The HX701 works only on the D model and it doesn't need any sync cable.

To use mirror lock up, it's the same as with a film back. You screw a cable release into the lens. When you press the camera shutter release, the mirror goes up, but the lens shutter doesn't fire. Then you press the cable release on the lens to take the shot.

To use strobes, it's the same as with a film back. Yes, you can mount a trigger on the hot shoe, if it will fit. My Flex TT5 doesn't fit because it hits the focus knob. But you can use a little extension.

--Steve.
Steve

Thank you!
I use Cactus V5 transceivers atm, regular hot-shoe mount works just a treat when I am shooting film with RZ.
I had an issue with SunPack that required a cable - V5's port had mirrored connections and refused to fire, so I was a bit edgy with RZ/back combo.

Transposure

Steve

Thank you!
I use Cactus V5 transceivers atm, regular hot-shoe mount works just a treat when I am shooting film with RZ.
I had an issue with SunPack that required a cable - V5's port had mirrored connections and refused to fire, so I was a bit edgy with RZ/back combo.
Or you can do what I did for myself and another friend of mine as well (after he saw mine)......

I wired a grip so I could put the trigger/transmitter on top of the grip (normally a cold shoe only).

Attachments

Or you can do what I did for myself and another friend of mine as well (after he saw mine)......

I wired a grip so I could put the trigger/transmitter on top of the grip (normally a cold shoe only).
WHOA! Careful with that axe, Eugene...;)
How's general convenience of this in every day use?

Back doesn't work with camera for some reason though.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Ed. Looks like RZ requires one shot cable after all.

Last edited:

segedi

What I can't figure out is how to use the AE finder with the back.
It won't fire unless I manually select a shutter speed.

If you have a Phase One back, it should work without the cable. I just picked up a RZ67 Pro IID + HX701 + Phase One IQ140.
The only way to get it to fire is by putting the camera into Multi-exposure mode using the lever set to M (same lever set to R allows you to rotate the back). You also have to wind the camera on after each exposure either manually or with a motor winder.

Also, make sure your back has the latest firmware as it will allow you to pick RZ67 Pro IID as a shooting mode.

There's not a lot of info coming from Mamiya user manuals though - nothing regarding digital that I found in the RZ manual and vague info in the IQ140 manual.

Almost exactly as my setup except I got IQ160.
Did try in Multi mode - same difference.
Tried live view and image does appear on screen momentarily arter releasing shutter, though nothing is recorded on the card.
Back has got RZ67ProIID set.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, shuttter release is on the white dot (not manual release red/orange position)?
Mode is normal (vs multi shot)?
Shutter wound on but nothing triggers the back when you press the shutter? MFDB in RZproIID mode?

Excuse the obvious question but how is the body battery in the RZ?

i just tried mine but the camera has been idle for a long time and my battery is weak. I'll try a fresh battery. With iq150 & my proiid/hx701 the camera will trigger the back but doesn't terminate the shot. It worked fine with my iq260 before so I suspect the battery may be my issue.

So, shuttter release is on the white dot (not manual release red/orange position)?
Mode is normal (vs multi shot)?
Shutter wound on but nothing triggers the back when you press the shutter? MFDB in RZproIID mode?

Excuse the obvious question but how is the body battery in the RZ?

i just tried mine but the camera has been idle for a long time and my battery is weak. I'll try a fresh battery. With iq150 & my proiid/hx701 the camera will trigger the back but doesn't terminate the shot. It worked fine with my iq260 before so I suspect the battery may be my issue.
Graham

I just shot a roll of film after re-mounting film back so I assume it's in working order, though there is a chance it might be weak.

Release is on orange dot - it doesn't fire when white or red at all.
Both multi/single shot modes don't trigger the back.
Operation mode is set to RZ67ProIID.
Camera is indeed ProIID and adapter plate is HX701.

I will try to change the battery actually - it's been about 3 years since last change.
4xLC should be fine with back?

GrahamWelland

I know that mine will only shoot and trigger the IQ back if the release button is on the white dot/tab and not orange. Orange is manual release and will always release the shutter/mirror etc but isn't electrically linked to the back.

Last edited:
Working!!
Apparently it was battery - Thanks to Graham for pointing it out!
Rz was set to emergency firing mode so I couldn't really see the difference...

Digitalcameraman

I know that mine will only shoot and trigger the IQ back if the release button is on the white dot/tab and not orange. Orange is manual release and will always release the shutter/mirror etc but isn't electrically linked to the back.

You guys are good. Was about to tell you everything Graham was telling you.

GrahamWelland

Happy to help a fellow mfdb guy.

We're a close comitted group who love the medium, regardless of external pressures who say cheap & small is as good or better. We know what we like shooting and that's not related to convenience or even pure quality (although I would still say that MF has a definite differentiation).

fotophil

I fabricated a remote battery holder for my RZ67 from the cold weather battery unit and positioned it on the side of the camera next to the battery compartment. After use, it is easy to disable the battery. In my experience there is a current drain within the camera electronics that shortens battery storage life.

segedi

I'm still having some issues....

Camera must be set to multi-shot mode as it won't fire otherwise.

With the WLF finder, shooting works as expected.

With the AE Finder, I can get one shot and then the camera can't fire again for about 30 seconds. This is the same amount of time required to put the finder to sleep; it stores the exposure setting for 30 secs and then clears itself. It doesn't matter if it registers a new exposure or not, it still takes 30 seconds to fire. If I select a shutter speed (instead of using AEF setting), it works fine.

Finder is set to A
Body is set to AEF, multi-shot, white-dot
Back is set to RZ67ProIID, Shutter latency-normal
Battery is new
Lenses - 50mm ULD and 110mm (makes no difference)

Any ideas?