The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New tripod time

M

mjr

Morning

It's time to retire my old Gitzo, had great use from it but it is showing its age, I have had to repair a couple of the leg sections and I need something new.

My dealer has suggested I look at the Sirui R-5214X, there is a taller XL but folded up it's a little too big to be traveled with so thinking the X version at 1.6m full height and 58cm closed up would fit and carry the tech cam or xf with little trouble. Anyone got any recommendations based on what they are using?

Many thanks

Mat

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Really Right Stuff 34L ... Awesome.
If you need a lighter portable solution then the Feisol 3441T is a great option.

torger

Really Right Stuff high end tripods is popular in the US, here in Europe I think Gitzo is the main brand and then the systematic series for heavier cameras.

I use an older Gitzo 3541XLS (1970 grams), these have been redesigned slightly to become even more stable and nowadays is called 3542XLS. What drew me to it is the tall height, 200cm. There are more stable tripods, but as you only use the maximum extension occasionally what you get is a more stable than a series 3 tripod when using it in normal heights. Surprisingly often I use the full extension, then usually on one leg on sloping ground. However it's too large folded for your needs, so you'd prefer one of the shorter ones.

I'm pleased with the Gitzo so I don't see any reason to switch brand. I also think series 3 is enough (series 5 is their most stable), but sure if you're going to do tele lenses in strong winds you'd probably want something more stable. My experience with tripods is that if there isn't wind one can do with pretty unstable tripods if one is patient to let the camera rest and really careful when squeezing the copal shutter cable release. With wind, weak tripods never become still.

NoBob

On a job I carry a big Gitzo (I need a ladder to reach the camera when the tripod's fully extended) and the GT2531EX 6X Carbon Fiber Explorer Tripod. It's useful for tight corners, hanging the camera over the edges of things and getting low on the ground.

GrahamWelland

Well, if you want the only Gitzo you'll ever need then I'd recommend the SGT5561 or latest equivalent. Big, heavy but you'll never be short of reach. I love mine but I don't like Gitzo's use of pot metal for their head mounts vs machined RRS tripods.

M

mjr

I have had the Gitzo GT26something for years and it has been great but a year ago the first section split on 2 legs at the very top end which meant the legs would slide out on full extension, I fixed it up by turning a plastic insert to allow the leg to keep its shape and the little plastic retaining bits but it's an old tripod that has been all around the world so I can excuse it. It's good to know what is currently deemed as good quality, I can get another Gitzo but sometimes it's good to live life on the edge and go for something else!

I'm not sure RRS are readily available in Sweden but will look, I don't know anything about Sirui but I trust my dealer and he says they are great.

Mat

GrahamWelland

Btw, one thing to consider is that if you have a workable Gitzo then you can normally get spare parts for them from Gitzo or a Gitzo partner. Their website has parts breakdowns for current tripods and older ones too. I was able to order replacement bottom sections for one of my tripods plus they will repair them for you too if needed.

Just a thought.

RRS tripods are only sold direct I believe.

jagsiva

Btw, one thing to consider is that if you have a workable Gitzo then you can normally get spare parts for them from Gitzo or a Gitzo partner. Their website has parts breakdowns for current tripods and older ones too. I was able to order replacement bottom sections for one of my tripods plus they will repair them for you too if needed.

Just a thought.

RRS tripods are only sold direct I believe.
True, RRS is only online, but their service is impeccable. I have both, but find the RRS to be better for at the same weight/bulk point. In Europe, they'll likely be a little pricier than the equivalent Gitzo.

JeRuFo

I was going to suggest you look at the Sirui range when I saw the thread title. I played with one a few weeks ago and was really impressed. Most people that use them seem to be.

rsmphoto

Well, FWIW I was a dyed-in-the-wool Gitzo user for years - used them in all sizes shooting 4x5 Sinar and Linhof, Hasselblad, Canon, but I got fed up with friction lock maintenance and lack of lock grip issues in cold weather. So I switched to Manfrottos with flip locks shooting medium format digital. It's been a love affair ever since (10 years now), and they get hard use professionally... and I travel shooting on location. My main go-to tripod is the MT057C4- ungeared column (just took it to London for a shoot last week). Solid, fast, reliable leg lock every time, and easy to adjust. Combined with an Arca D4 head I'm pretty much in heaven. Again, this is just for me, but thought I'd mention it since people always look down on flip locks (even me for many years).

Cheers!

M

mjr

I know it's very personal but my backup tripod is flip lock and I hate it! Ha, it's not a great tripod but just an emergency spare so I am sure better quality would give me a more positive view.

RRS are out, can't be bothered with import duties on top of price and the wait for it to get here, I think I'm going to have a go with a Sirui, the top models look quite good and I can always return it if it's rubbish and go the Gitzo route, it's quite a bit cheaper than the similar model from gitzo.

Thanks all for your input.

Mat

Godfrey

I have had the Feisol Tournament CT3442 legs for a decade. They are excellent if rather slow to work with. Still great condition. They fold inverse style and, with the Acratech GP head, fit into their bag at 19" long, about 5" diameter, all up weight 4 lbs, 5 oz. with the adjustable column fitted.

Jeffg53

I have two Sirui tripods. I replaced a Gitzo 1325 and 1228 with them. They are a class act. They work beautifully, and are really well designed and made.

MILESF

Very timely as I'm thinking of replacing a trusty Series 4 Gitzo that is getting somewhat creaky. There are two RRS resellers in Europe:

www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de

www.cameranu.nl

I've used the former and had excellent service. Their price is about the same as buying direct from RRS but as you're making an intra-EU purchase it avoids the hassle of import duty and tax having to be paid to the UPS man who always seems to come when no-one is at home. My understanding is they are not RRS dealers as such but simply buy direct in bulk from them. Last I looked they had tripods in stock though not lower volume items eg L-Plate for RX1r Mk2.

DanielDuarte

REALLY RIGHT STUFF TVC-33

Wonderful tripod, truly one of the only pieces of equipment I have purchased and never looked at another model / brand / product again.

Even when I buy lenses or anything major I always peak at what is new, what is coming out... not with these legs.

I have an FLM head, which is nice, but I am not crazy about because they use their own custom plates, not the universal Arca dovetail type. At the time I couldn't justify RRS's BH55 head, but now I wish I did. At this point I can't see dropping another 600 just to keep myself pleased with L plates. The FLM wasn't cheap either but I became friends with a dealer online and he dropped the price pretty nice for a "used" demo that was pretty much brand new out of box, never mounted to a camera, just on a showroom floor.