The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Old SWC and CFV16

elrafo

Hello All,

I bought recently a Used SWC (chrome) and realised that my CFV wouldn't fit at all on this camera, because of the tripod shoe under the camera directly on the battery axis.
there was no access to the screws, only flat heads... so no options to change the position or even getting rid of the tripod-shoe.

I was a bit upset, tried the ELM adapter, it didn't work neither as it was still 1mm too high on "the way" of the shoe.

I didn't want to force the back to fit in, so I finally returned the camera to the seller. I was lucky enough he accepted !

I can't afford a more recent SWC at 5,000 USD, so I am wondering what kind of Old SWC modified models would fit with Hassy Digital backs ?
is there a way to change the tripod mount so the CFV could fit easily ? i find a bit stupid that there was no solution to even change the tripod shoe ...

thanks for the Help !

Pelorus

If you don't get a solution to your problem here then I suggest you contact Gil Ghitelman. If Gil doesn't know the answer with respect to a SWC then nobody does. I have also, over many years, found Gil to be unfailingly helpful and courteous.

http://www.gilghitelman.com/

jlm

Workshop Member
i made a few of these (for sale), gets the plate moved forward (using same screws) and fits my L-plate, as most of the MF backs are rectangular:

\pm me

Ben730

Hi
Years ago I had a SWC and I cut off half of this tripod plate to mount a polaroid back. Then, later when I changed to digital, the Phase Backs fitted without problems.
Protect the camera with a lot of masking tape, take a metal saw and cut the prominent part off. It takes you 10 minutes.

Regards,
Ben

SHV

"so I am wondering what kind of Old SWC modified models would fit with Hassy Digital backs"
The SWC/M was introduced in 1980. The modification included a lowered quick release shoe to allow the use of a Polaroid back and a retrofit kit was also available for earlier models. So models after 1980 or a modified SWC can be used with CFV and the battery adapter. I had a earlier model SWC, so initially I removed a portion of the thickness of the shoe to allow clearance for the right angled battery adapter. Later I just cut if off flush with the back of the SWC, which eliminates the need for the adapter. If you do this, seal up the rear of the SWC to prevent plastic/metal particles from getting into the camera. I used a Dremel tool but a fine metal saw is probably safer. I then used an RRS B 82 plate for the tripod mount.

The SWC/CFV-16 combination can produce really nice results but requires attention to detail because of the low ISO and no live view.

Steve

Jan

Hi
Years ago I had a SWC and I cut off half of this tripod plate to mount a polaroid back. Then, later when I changed to digital, the Phase Backs fitted without problems.
Protect the camera with a lot of masking tape, take a metal saw and cut the prominent part off. It takes you 10 minutes.

Regards,
Ben
Which does it indeed, it is the easiest solution which is fairly well documented on the net. I'm happy enough to use a Phase One, no modification needed.

fotophil

I had a similar problem when trying to mount a Leaf back on my SWC. The screws holding the plate to the SWC body were also flat and I couldn't figure out how to unscrew them. I just cut the excess plate off with a Dremel tool - no problem except the resale value probably went down.

algrove

I bought an adapter which coverted the SWC base plate (1980 model or later) to be able to be used with any Arca Swiss clamp while using a PO P45+ digitsl back. I know it is not your case, but somehow someone's adapter should work. Sold the SWC, but still have the plate. In bought it for use with the SmartFlex L bracket, but no longer need it. Looking for a shot of it in my attachments, but I guess its no longer there.