The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethered XF Lockup

Transposure

Hey guys,
i had an all-day shoot yesterday (indoor fashion model shoot with new client) wherein the first half of the day had the camera locked down and tethered and the second half of the day was handheld and free form, untethered.

I am running the XF with a Credo 60 back and a MacBook Pro running the latest C1 with Capture Pilot running and iPad in hands of my client.

During the tethered portion of the day, three unexpected things happened.

First, when I initially plugged in two different USB cables (thinking the first one was faulty) C1 wouldn't connect to my camera. I eventually relegated myself to using the FireWire cable and it quickly connected. Since then, last night, I tried both of those USB cables and it connects perfectly. Any thoughts as to what would cause this to happen? Of course, as always, these things occur in the heat of the moment on a job!

Second, over a period of 4 hours of being tethered, the XF locked up about 5 times. By locking up, I mean, the screen on the XF looked normal, the Credo screen looked normal and C1 looked normal. But the focus or shutter could not be performed. Cycling the XF power resolved it each time. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Third, I had to replace the Credo battery a few times during tethering. I know this is normal with USB tethering, but as I said above, I was relegated to FireWire. And I thought the back is charged when using FireWire. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
Ken

kdphotography

Really hard to say, but if I had to guess----I'd check the USB3 power settings on the MFDB. I'd check the battery on the MFDB to make sure it was full. Often issues arise as a result of either the camera or MFDB battery being low. In other words, change the battery frequently. The newer high capacity batteries work well.

ken

Transposure

Ken,
Thanks.

I started the day with all batteries fully topped off. So, why the USB didn't work is beyond me.

As for the lockups, the digital back battery was lower than full, but certainly not depleted.

And what about the FW cable charging the battery? Isn't that supposed to charge?

Thx!
Ken

Really hard to say, but if I had to guess----I'd check the USB3 power settings on the MFDB. I'd check the battery on the MFDB to make sure it was full. Often issues arise as a result of either the camera or MFDB battery being low. In other words, change the battery frequently. The newer high capacity batteries work well.

ken

awolf

You are not alone. Lots of bugs lately, including a complete bust on hooking up a new MS Surface. I even had to delete an entire session as C1 was crashing on opining to it (few hours of work dumped). I think it is time for a 9.1.1

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey guys,
i had an all-day shoot yesterday (indoor fashion model shoot with new client) wherein the first half of the day had the camera locked down and tethered and the second half of the day was handheld and free form, untethered.

I am running the XF with a Credo 60 back and a MacBook Pro running the latest C1 with Capture Pilot running and iPad in hands of my client.

During the tethered portion of the day, three unexpected things happened.

First, when I initially plugged in two different USB cables (thinking the first one was faulty) C1 wouldn't connect to my camera. I eventually relegated myself to using the FireWire cable and it quickly connected. Since then, last night, I tried both of those USB cables and it connects perfectly. Any thoughts as to what would cause this to happen? Of course, as always, these things occur in the heat of the moment on a job!

Second, over a period of 4 hours of being tethered, the XF locked up about 5 times. By locking up, I mean, the screen on the XF looked normal, the Credo screen looked normal and C1 looked normal. But the focus or shutter could not be performed. Cycling the XF power resolved it each time. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Third, I had to replace the Credo battery a few times during tethering. I know this is normal with USB tethering, but as I said above, I was relegated to FireWire. And I thought the back is charged when using FireWire. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance!
Ken
None of these is normal!

Your system should be rock solid, should not lock up, and if you were using a supported powered hub or a native FW port with the power settings properly set it should have kept the back charged unless you were shooting very quickly.

When you did troubleshooting with your dealer what did they suggest? They should be able to help you isolate and eliminate the problem. It's literally their job! In our case we have three full-time staff with Phase One technical certifications and years of experience dedicated to this purpose; they get sad if our clients don't use them if they run into a snafu! Don't make your dealer's tech staff sad - use them! ;)

kdphotography

Please make sure to share your findings, if the problem was pinpointed, and what was the resolution. Software? Firmware? Cables, etc. Dealer support is ultimately the "best" answer, but sometimes in the middle of a session, if we can apply what we learn elsewhere (here!)---maybe we can fix things quickly on the fly without pulling out hair.

:) ken