The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New to MF just say hello!

Shineofleo

First post!

I am a long-time Nikon DSLR user as hobby, but years ago I converted into professional, due to all kinds of coincidences. So I have some budget (and reason) to raise this hobby. For DSLR I just follow Nikon all the time, and for mirrorless, initially I was with Olympus then turn to Fuji X system. I take mirrorless for fun, but now I am considering put them in professional use - well, still not there.

I know Medium Format is different, and produce better result but with higher expense. With digital solution, the price is even higher. I tried MF in film but the fact is that it is inconvenient today, compared with digital. It takes longer, expensive to develop - I don't mind 'think and take photo', but these facts do pose barriers.

Last week I was checking online as usual and find a quite good deal. In the end I got a set of used Mamiya 645 AFDIII + 80 F/2.8 AF + Leaf Aptus II 6 . Since I also have a film RZ67 PRO II, I think I can play with the digital solution for it as well.

I have to say, it is a correct decision!

In our lives, sometimes we spend money but feel it doesn't meet our expectations, but NOT for this one! Pure resolution by number is not all of MF, the dynamic range, the details, the color, they just help me open my eye! Yes the difference is subtle, but after I took and checked more than 100 thousands (I believe here you did more than me!) photos, I can say definitely "yes it is better!"

This forum helped me a lot. Thank you! I hope I can learn more here, and it is a simple pleasure to check great MF pictures here!

Best,

Leon

Dogs857

Welcome aboard Leon

The water is indeed very deep at this end of the pool but well worth the effort.

I look forward to your contributions and congratulate you on your purchase. It's an exciting time to be a photographer.

Cheers

Dogs

Jamgolf

Welcome to the forum.
Look forward to seeing some photos captured with your new setup in the 'fun with MF...' thread.
Cheers!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Welcome Leon.

There's definitely something different about shooting with our bigger cameras that goes beyond pixels and it sounds like you're discovering that already too.

dchew

Hello Leon!

Welcome to the community. I think you will find a very friendly, supportive and knowledgeable group here. They all certainly have helped me immensely.

Jump in! The water is deep and comfortable. Pay no attention to that huge swirling whirlpool.
:cool:

Dave

Shineofleo

Thank you guys! I do find that it is a great forum/community!

Some my initial with MF (with digital back) I took some photo with 200mm 2.8 APO. (just want to make sure the result stands for a good lens not a bad one):

It is different.

People (or me) would think: OK, MF has larger sensor, maybe higher resolution/more pixels, so you just get a larger or maybe finer JPG in the end!

I think above comments are true, however, it is different.

*Under F11, the DOF is very different compared with 35mm camera. Yes it is shallower, but the transition between sharp and out-of-focus area is different. It is more subtle, so it has a different feeling.
*Wider dynamic range, that's for sure and I like it. I can image the room for post process can be very big!
*Details. The details are amazing. OK the 'detail' perhaps equals to 'sharpness', but it has more textyre/3D-feeling other than a 'sharper' image after a convolution filter. I guess it is due to larger pixel on the sensor, and the image can be produced at a larger scale, with reveals something 35mm camera+lense can not.

I think definitely it can improve my work, AND record much better my child, as a great memory!

M

mjr

Welcome Shineofleo, I really hope you enjoy using your kit! Looking forward to seeing some of your shots.

Have a good day!

Mat

aztwang

Hello Leon!

Welcome to the community. I think you will find a very friendly, supportive and knowledgeable group here. They all certainly have helped me immensely.

Jump in! The water is deep and comfortable. Pay no attention to that huge swirling whirlpool.
:cool:

Dave
Oh..you mean this whirlpool...LOL
imgres.jpg

Welcome to the forum friend!

Don