The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H6D-100c and H6D-50c official

Jamgolf

I think this is great news for medium format in general. Competition is a good thing for consumers and spurs innovation as well as keeps prices in check.
100MP backs from Phase and now Hasselblad are the new MF benchmarks and create a clear and marked separation from 135 format.

H6D entry price is decidedly high for a vast majority, still it is lower than Phase's pricing - so that might help some people make the jump.
Hasselblad's upgrade offer is mainly targeting existing H customers. They seem resigned with the fact that current owners of high pixel Phase digital backs are deeply invested and winning them over is not probable. But owners of older Phase, Credo, Leaf backs might be still be lured by the cross-grade offer.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think this is great news for medium format in general. Competition is a good thing for consumers and spurs innovation as well as keeps prices in check.
100MP backs from Phase and now Hasselblad are the new MF benchmarks and create a clear and marked separation from 135 format.

H6D entry price is decidedly high for a vast majority, still it is lower than Phase's pricing - so that might help some people make the jump.
Hasselblad's upgrade offer is mainly targeting existing H customers. They seem resigned with the fact that current owners of high pixel Phase digital backs are deeply invested and winning them over is not probable. But owners of older Phase, Credo, Leaf backs might be still be lured by the cross-grade offer.
What is the cross-grade offer?I can't see any reference to it! Thx.

JohnBrew

Tim, look on the "Hasselblad Teaser" thread. Hasselblad has listed all the trade-in allowances.

Swissblad

I saw a note about fasted shutter speed is 1/2000 - is this leaf or camera body?

Good to see a decent new development!

:thumbs:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Oh Ohhh... reading the teaser thread in more detail it seems you can't use the 100mp back on a technical or field camera. That's a deal breaker for me - and I was seriously considering the cross grade. I've just asked my dealer to quote me on an upgrade from IQ180 to IQ3 100mp system instead. Pity. I like Hassy.

torger

Here's the H6D-50c shown on the Linhof Techno. Just for show of course, no battery attached.

I'd be surprised if they don't make a battery adapter for it though, like for the H5D. But as all things medium format things are a bit rushed at release so it takes a while before everything settles.

That you can't buy the back alone is no surprise though, but Hassy prices has been so attractive at times that buying the camera with body and never use the body can be worth it. Actually that's exactly what I do with my H4D-50. That needs powering through firewire when on a tech cam, which I've solved with a third party battery. I hope the solve it as elegant as the H5 series on the H6 though with a battery adapter.

As most know I'm not particularly pleased with the Sony CMOS when it comes to tech wides though especially the classic symmetrical ones, that's my deal breaker. Not sure Hasseblad Phocus makes as great job hiding the issues as Capture One does, maybe, maybe not.

f8orbust

Oh Ohhh... reading the teaser thread in more detail it seems you can't use the 100mp back on a technical or field camera. That's a deal breaker for me - and I was seriously considering the cross grade. I've just asked my dealer to quote me on an upgrade from IQ180 to IQ3 100mp system instead. Pity. I like Hassy.
From the Hasselblad spec sheet:

View camera compatability ? Yes, mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.

torger

From the Hasselblad spec sheet:

View camera compatability ? Yes, mechanical shutters controlled via flash sync. Electronic shutters can be controlled from Phocus.
I think the problem is that it needs power through USB3, meaning that for field use you need to make your own self-made external battery hack like I've done for my H4D-50. The H5D has an external battery adapter but it seems H6D doesn't have that, at least not yet.

f8orbust

Really like the look of this. Trading in my old P45 will get me to 24.5k. I don't need the camera or lens, so would sell that for, say $5k, which gets me under $20k.

Not much mention is being made of Phocus, but from what I've seen and read so far it sounds like a total overhaul.

I'm sure the external battery will appear by shipping time - which is still a couple of months away (June IIRC).

Am also interested to see where Leaf will pitch their 100MP offering - I assume they were waiting for HB to show first.

Just read that HB have upped their warranty to 3 years as standard.

jerome_m

I think the problem is that it needs power through USB3, meaning that for field use you need to make your own self-made external battery hack like I've done for my H4D-50. The H5D has an external battery adapter but it seems H6D doesn't have that, at least not yet.
If the back can be powered via its usb interface, a simple USB battery and cable should solve the problem. They are generally available for peanuts, so...

I asked the question to the official representative in the other thread.

tashley

Subscriber Member
As most know I'm not particularly pleased with the Sony CMOS when it comes to tech wides though especially the classic symmetrical ones, that's my deal breaker. Not sure Hasseblad Phocus makes as great job hiding the issues as Capture One does, maybe, maybe not.
Oh ohh again - I use an SK 35 XL. I thought the CMOS sensors were better than the CCD sensors in this respect? It sounds like I thought wrong!

EDIT: I am daft - I sold the SK ages ago and purchased a Rodenstock 40HR, which is the lens I meant to refer to above....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Oh ohh again - I use an SK 35 XL. I thought the CMOS sensors were better than the CCD sensors in this respect? It sounds like I thought wrong!
Depends on what we are comparing. A 60mp CCD handles the 35XL better than either an 80mp CCD or 50/100mp CMOS.

You can download direct comparisons (on the P1 side) on our massive 100mp raw files sample page. You'd of course want to redo the relevant tests using the Hassy and their LCC correction method in Phocus, but the Phase tests give you a good idea what amount of movement might be realistic.

Generally speaking for wide angle tech camera use with a CMOS sensor, we'd suggest Rodenstock HR over Schneider XL.

Lobalobo

Seriously? What an oversight, or so it seems to me. That concedes a segment of the market to Phase One. True enough, probably a small segment but at the low volume that these cameras sell, I would assume every sale matters.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
This is finally an impressive answer from HB and bringing another serious competition to the long time Phase One monopoly in MFD!

There are lot of details, one of the biggest innovation aside from the 100MP back is the fact that all lenses (you have to buy new of course) have now 1/2000 leaf shutter!

KUDOS and really amazing to see this from Hasselblad after all these years.

If I would be in the market for another MFD solution this would be it - would buy within a heartbeat ;):cool::eek:

Peter

tashley

Subscriber Member
Depends on what we are comparing. A 60mp CCD handles the 35XL better than either an 80mp CCD or 50/100mp CMOS.

You can download direct comparisons (on the P1 side) on our massive 100mp raw files sample page. You'd of course want to redo the relevant tests using the Hassy and their LCC correction method in Phocus, but the Phase tests give you a good idea what amount of movement might be realistic.

Generally speaking for wide angle tech camera use with a CMOS sensor, we'd suggest Rodenstock HR over Schneider XL.

Thanks Doug - I have edited my post above to correct the information I gave about the lens I mostly use: it's a Rodie 40HR, not an SK 35 - I sold the latter for the former in order to get better results. Your opinion on the ROdie on a 100mp Sony sensor would be much appreciated!