The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A H6D100 in my Hand

Ken_R

The word is Hasselblad designs and makes the shutters themselves in Gothenburg, Sweden. They design almost everything in house including the lenses but outsource some parts manufacturing.

Straight from Hasselblad: "As any modern company, we have sub-suppliers that manufacture different components based on our engineering competence and specifications. The assembly of our medium format cameras is entirely performed at our headquarters."

Stuart Richardson

With respect to ISO, I am sure it is capable of making very nice images at higher ISO, and as Doug said, the size will dictate a lot. One thing I have found as a printer, however, is that despite the claims of cameras to now go to hundreds of thousands of ISO, they universally look better in every way at lower ISO. It is not simply a matter of grain and color noise. There is a color fidelity and crispness to the detail that is lost very quickly, even in the "super high ISO" cameras like the Sony A7S and A7rII. I have both, and I would say that they degrade noticeably almost right away...from around ISO 800 or so. In some comparisons I have preferred my Leica S at 800 or 1600 to the Sony's, because though grainier, it seemed to retain color and detail better. This could be a lens issue as well, but in general, I would be VERY skeptical if someone told me that the ISO of 3200 was undetectably different from ISO 50 or 100. In fact, I would be skeptical if they told me that ISO 800 was undetectably different than base ISO.

Again, this is not to say that you cannot use these ISO's, as the improvement over older generations is staggering, only that native ISO is native ISO...everything else is worse.

Last edited:

ondebanks

Hasselblad have never done dark frames.

The idea is that the camera takes a dark frame at the same shutter speed as the long exposure you have just done. this gives a picture of the noise due to heat build up which can then be calculated out of the image. The disadvantage is that it means a ten minute exposure takes 20 minutes.
I've always admired Hasselblad for that policy. Anyone who wants to apply a dark frame can take one in their own time and subtract it in software. Hasselblad hand choice and trust to the photographer: very enlightened.

I don't know anything about the Hasselblad method for dark frame but per several of the reps that frequent this site a Phase back takes a dark frame with all exposures not just long ones.
Phase One use the term "black frame" which we all take to mean "dark frame", but which in sensor circles can also mean "bias frame". So when they state that they take one with all exposures, at the fast shutter speeds they are really subtracting a bias frame, since there has not been enough passage of time to accumulate any signficant dark current.

I mention this because Hasselblad probably also subtract a minimum-exposure bias frame from all their exposures, whether long or short, to remove the offset and reduce pattern noise.

You can disable the dark frame on a Phase back anytime by shooting in aerial mode. CCD or CMOS.
Does that include the P and P+ series? Or only the IQ backs? I was always led to believe that there was no way to disable it in the P+ backs, but it would be fantastic if that was not the case.

Ray

michaelclark

I was told online by a Hasselblad rep (who checked on this) and they will be able to replace the shutter in older lenses and thereby upgrade the old lenses with the new shutter - so this is possible. Attached is a screenshot of the Facebook conversation.

Cheers, Michael

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 4.32.20 PM.jpg

Today I visitited the Exhibition at Calumet Photo in Stuttgart / Germany.
And: They had it there!

It is a fine Piece of Camera - I like it. Looks more "modern" than my H3DII-50.

But sad: The Hassy-Man told me, that it will NOT be possible to upgrade my Lenses - and I have five of them and my Wife heard that... and understood, what that means.

I was also very disappointed, because the Camera didn`t really work - a Prototype.
The H6D50 did work, but is not so interesting to me - so i didn`t try it.