The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone Else Find Phocus' Default Settings Too Contrasty?

Jark89

Hello all, so I'm currently trying to figure the best workflow for RAW processing for my H4D-40. In all the info I've manage to find, people seem hover more towards Phocus since that's directly from Hasselblad. I did standard setting A/B tests, and found Adobe RAW is fairly faithful to what Phocus provides, except just a hair less contrast & a tad brighter overall. I was REALLY agonizing what to do since workflow is really fast (for me) in Adobe RAW (I use Bridge instead of Lightroom, just personal preference).

Today, I happened upon the Reproduction tab...then I checked "Reproduction Mode". And holy cow was I surprised at the resulting image! Suddenly colors were very neutral and lots more shadow detail! Before I just used Standard profile, and while I never thought my images to be "unfaithful" to real life, I always did find them to be quite "ready to go" with no further tinkering aside from White Balance. So now, I can't seem to go back to regular "Standard" mode without thinking the image as too contrasty.

Does anyone else feel the same way? And is there a way to set "Reproduction Mode" as default.

Nick-T

Hello all, so I'm currently trying to figure the best workflow for RAW processing for my H4D-40. In all the info I've manage to find, people seem hover more towards Phocus since that's directly from Hasselblad. I did standard setting A/B tests, and found Adobe RAW is fairly faithful to what Phocus provides, except just a hair less contrast & a tad brighter overall. I was REALLY agonizing what to do since workflow is really fast (for me) in Adobe RAW (I use Bridge instead of Lightroom, just personal preference).

Today, I happened upon the Reproduction tab...then I checked "Reproduction Mode". And holy cow was I surprised at the resulting image! Suddenly colors were very neutral and lots more shadow detail! Before I just used Standard profile, and while I never thought my images to be "unfaithful" to real life, I always did find them to be quite "ready to go" with no further tinkering aside from White Balance. So now, I can't seem to go back to regular "Standard" mode without thinking the image as too contrasty.

Does anyone else feel the same way? And is there a way to set "Reproduction Mode" as default.
Personal tastes vary. I think if Hasselblad made "reproduction" the default then people would complain that files were too flat. I agree with you that flatter files are better (none of my clients ever would) and Phocus will remember the default setting from the last shoot assuming you are in the same folder. If you are shooting to new folders each time you'll just need to change from
"Standard" in the drop down.

Jark89

Personal tastes vary. I think if Hasselblad made "reproduction" the default then people would complain that files were too flat. I agree with you that flatter files are better (none of my clients ever would) and Phocus will remember the default setting from the last shoot assuming you are in the same folder. If you are shooting to new folders each time you'll just need to change from
"Standard" in the drop down.
Hi Nick, yes I've found how to set Reproduction Mode as a default setting now. I saved it as a "User Setting" and can now select that when I import a session. :grin: