The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Test Your Lens!

shridere

I purchased a used Mamiya 35mm AF lens for my 645AFDIII about 18 months ago and failed to test lens as well as I should have when it arrived. While zooming in 100% on an image recently I noticed what looked like a small focus smear in the center 20% area of the lens. I sent the lens to Capture Integration who sent it to Mamiya/Phase One service in Japan. Prognosis is that there is fungus growth on one of the lens elements. Since I keep all my equipment in environmentally good/dry conditions and since no other lenses have issues I can only guess the lens had this issue when I purchased it. A word of caution for all to test new and used equipment rigorously when you take possession.

Paul2660

I purchased a used Mamiya 35mm AF lens for my 645AFDIII about 18 months ago and failed to test lens as well as I should have when it arrived. While zooming in 100% on an image recently I noticed what looked like a small focus smear in the center 20% area of the lens. I sent the lens to Capture Integration who sent it to Mamiya/Phase One service in Japan. Prognosis is that there is fungus growth on one of the lens elements. Since I keep all my equipment in environmentally good/dry conditions and since no other lenses have issues I can only guess the lens had this issue when I purchased it. A word of caution for all to test new and used equipment rigorously when you take possession.
Sorry to hear this, I hope that they can clean it, remove the fungus. But the process is more involved that I used to realize. The lens needs to be basically sterilized to keep the fungus from coming back.

Paul C

shridere

Thanks Paul for your advise.

Just to be clear I did not purchase the lens from Capture Integration. Brad at CI has been great facilitating the repair of another lens that I had dropped and the evaluation of this lens which I will not have repaired. Just not worth it for me. I have purchased a 50mm shift lens and you can be sure I will be testing this lens when it arrives this week.