The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Focus trim on your XF...What methodology do you use?

aztwang

If you're reading this you probably already know that you can set focus trim per lens focal length or per lens (Blue line only).

I have set my focus trim several times on my LS lens's with average to decent results. BUT...I am curious..What is your workflow when you set focus trim...whts your set up?...do you use a special contraption to measure with, a yard stick?...do you have a set distance you use when adjusting focus trim...OR...do you use approximate working distances for that particular lens? Whats your methodology, tips & tricks to setting focus trim???:D

Cheers

Don

Christopher

I have the exact same question.

Pretty easy. I just use LensAlign. Did that last week with all of my 10 lenses. All no focus perfectly.

And YOU can set it for ANY LENS. You don't need a Bluering. ONLY if you have two lenses which are the same you will need a Bluering one.

aztwang

Pretty easy. I just use LensAlign. Did that last week with all of my 10 lenses. All no focus perfectly.

And YOU can set it for ANY LENS. You don't need a Bluering. ONLY if you have two lenses which are the same you will need a Bluering one.
That is what I said BTW...Chris so do you follow lens aligns directions with a set distance from camera to target or do you use a distance which you would normally shoot that lens at?

Cheers

M

mjr

Afternoon.

I pick the distance I'm going to be mainly shooting at, I mainly use the XF for portraits and so just set the camera on a tripod, tethered and set up a target at average shooting distance and adjust to that.

Mat

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Because I mainly shoot landscapes I trim my lenses at infinity. I use Live View first to focus manually, then note the direction the lens rotates when I switch to AF. Then I take a number of shots at (say) +25, +50, +75 to about +200.

I then choose the one that most closely equals the LV shot and do another series bracketing that setting until I get the two shots identical.

One warning - I find very small adjustments sometimes don't cause the the lens to re-focus, so I manually move the lens well away from the setting before using the AF again.

Interestingly all my lenses need roughly -150 to reach optimum trim.

algrove

With LensAlign if you plan to use a lens for various purposes, some have mentioned they use like 3 meters, then 25/50 meters and then infinity. Just a question for PO LS blue lens owners-are they acceptable right out of the box or should one spend plenty of time dialing each lens in?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have two Blue Ring lenses (35 & 120) and they both needed about -150 correction. The fact that all my lenses need roughly the same implies that the trim is compensating for tolerances in the XF and the fitting of the back.