The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Polite question to Leica S and Pentax 645 users, what software do you use?

Bernard

Hi,

If I have an image with demosaic issues in LR, I would use another tool to convert to TIFF. That tool may be C1, or RawTherapee that allows choice between different demosaic algorithms and uses DCP profiles. Or I could use AccuRaw that extracts most detail. But mostly I use LR CC 2015 to process the image from RAW to print.

Best regards
Erik
Erik,

Can you elaborate on that?
I've run some tests with RawTherapy and S-006 raws, mostly to see how it deals with high-ISO noise. I was impressed by the results on-screen, but haven't gone to print to confirm. Are you saying that it's a path worth pursuing? Unlike you, I'm not a fan of LR, so I would switch if I could.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Bernard,

I have posted two threads on LuLa regarding demosaic issues in Lightroom compared to some other raw converters:

Four raw converters , handling demosaic errors

Demosaic - Quick comparison of three raw converters and four algorithms

Just keep in mind that the issues shown here are specific and possibly extreme cases.

Mark D Segal, was kind enough to check out the raw image in my second thread and could confirm the issues, but made the point that although the artefacts are real they may not be visible in a large print with the naked eye.

What I see is that LR processing of non OLP filtered images often results in "halo type" artefacts, which would interfere with strong sharpening. So, if I see such issues I would use some other raw processor to generate an unsharpened TIFF that I could put trough more processing. Both RawTherapee and Accuraw can use my DNG Colour Profiles. RawTherapee also has the option to use different algorithms.

Best regards
Erik

Erik,

Can you elaborate on that?
I've run some tests with RawTherapy and S-006 raws, mostly to see how it deals with high-ISO noise. I was impressed by the results on-screen, but haven't gone to print to confirm. Are you saying that it's a path worth pursuing? Unlike you, I'm not a fan of LR, so I would switch if I could.