The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya MF 3,5/35mm N no good on digital ?

J

Jbee

Hi,
I am new to this forum and also new to digital MF.
Since beginning of this week I am a proud owner of a PhaseOne 645, P30+ and the three PhaseOne lenses 2,8/45mm ; 2,8/80mm and 4/120mm Macro that come in the current special offer.
Because of the 1,3 crop sensor I thought it would be a good idea to buy a manual Mamiya 3,5/35mm lens from a friend to get a bit wider angel.
I tested that lens today and was totally disappointed. It is very soft wide open, gets a bit better towards f11 and then worse again.
Did I just grab a bady copy ?
How behaves the Mamiya AF 3,5/35mm in comparison ?
I believe that the new 28mm is much better but it certainly has its price.

Thanks
Jari

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is sample variation. I have a good copy and am happy with the results. It isn't as sharp as the 55, 80, 120 macro or 150 primes, but still makes very nice images, especially if stopped down to f8 or higher.

J

Jbee

The sharpness in may case was way below the 45 or 80. So I redid the test.
My target in is 2,2 m away from the sensor.
I found that the cameras focus indicator shows me "on focus" between 1,8m and 2,9m on the lens. That means I can turn the lens distance ring between these values and the camera shows always the dot for in focus, no arrows.
When I shoot images I can clearly see that the 1,8 is not in focus nor is the 2,9. I get the sharpest image at roughly 2,2m. (Sharper than my previous test, so that was oviously not correct focussed)
I tried another target at 5m and again I can turn the focus ring a long way around the correct distance before the camera indicates "out of focus".
The 45 and the 80 in comparison at manual focussing have a very small spot
when the camera is focussed.
I think I might have a bad sample with this 35mm.
Jari

tashley

Subscriber Member
One piece of advice: I'm not sure which focus areas you have activated but i assume you have the current 'Phamiya' body so if you do, set the focus area to the narrowest centre area and try again. I am also not sure whether that lens actually works with the focus indication system: none of my manual lenses do. In which case ignore the focus lights and work purely by eye. I find I can focus pretty accurately at medium and small apertures by doing this.

HTH

Tim

kdphotography

I have the Mamiya 645AF 35mm and really enjoy this lens. I do believe that I have a very good copy and this lens has performed very well for me using a Phase P30 and P45+----I'm crossing my fingers on the P65+ and believe it will be fine though have not shot the 35mm lens with it yet. I would love to see Mamiya/Phase rework this lens as a "D" series lens....

J

Jbee

One piece of advice: I'm not sure which focus areas you have activated but i assume you have the current 'Phamiya' body so if you do, set the focus area to the narrowest centre area and try again. I am also not sure whether that lens actually works with the focus indication system: none of my manual lenses do. In which case ignore the focus lights and work purely by eye. I find I can focus pretty accurately at medium and small apertures by doing this.

HTH

Tim
Tim,
yes, I have that Phamiya body, current version.
I used the spot for focus measuring and focussed on a print of a USAF_1951 taget on a wall. The camera was leveled correctly and aimed at a right angle to the wall.
So there was no chance of focussing on something at a bigger or smaller distance.
I guess you are right that at least this lens will not work with the focussing indication.
I find it hard to focus correcty without that indication. Seems that I have to return it.
Jari