Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New depth of field calculator app

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New depth of field calculator app

Bravo Dave!

After 3 years of bugging Phase One to add this data capability, I have lost hope in getting it. Would gladly pay for a simple way to enter data into my iPhone that records image number, lens, focus distance, shift, tilt, filter applied. So far, my best solution is to take a picture of each lens setup and another of the back with the image number.

Come on Phase One, throw us a bone! I need this information in the metadata!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Making it possible to take notes with it sounds like a nice idea, I'll think about it. I don't take notes myself though, I always make an LCC in the field and I'm satisfied with that. By the way I think it's quite likely that future digital backs and cameras will make it possible to run apps in the back itself. We'll see.

About the DoF app I pushed version 1.0.4 to Google Play and App Store yesterday. It's already available in Google Play, but App Store is still "processing", hopefully it will appear today but it's a bit random how long it takes as they employ a manual process.

New stuff in 1.0.4 is

* possible to cycle units %h/%w or all by tapping the flat projection diagram in the tilt screen (enable in settings)
    * on tablets/iPads the user interface now rotates according to device orientation
    * there's a database of cameras and lenses now. It's by no means complete, but it's a fair chunk of stuff, 80 cameras and 479 lenses to be precise
    * full support for ALPA HPF rings, the distance scale should match exactly now if you pick the lenses from the database.

Unfortunately ALPA haven't published nodal point separation and Rodenstock doesn't have it in their data sheets. Schneider has it in their data sheets so there I could just read the number and enter into the database, but for all the Rodies I had to figure it out by trial-error matching to the distance scale tables, so there might be some small mismatch. If there's an error it's on the scale of millimeters so it doesn't matter, but the OCD part of me wants it to be exact match of course .
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Bravo Dave!

After 3 years of bugging Phase One to add this data capability, I have lost hope in getting it. Would gladly pay for a simple way to enter data into my iPhone that records image number, lens, focus distance, shift, tilt, filter applied. So far, my best solution is to take a picture of each lens setup and another of the back with the image number.

Come on Phase One, throw us a bone! I need this information in the metadata!
    Me too. The nearest thing that I've ever heard from them was concern that people would forget that they'd been entering EXIF data and that it would be applied to images not subject to movements/LCC etc. Well guess what, yes they would, but just like WB in a raw file they could always be reset.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

Post Thanks / Like

At last v1.0.4 of Lumariver Depth of Field is through Apple's thorough review process and available in app store.

As stated a couple of posts backs the main new thing related to medium format is that there's a camera/lens database and that includes all ALPA lenses with exact effective focal lengths and nodal point separations which make the distance scale in the app match the distance scale on the HPF rings.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anders,

Really a great app. Algorithms are one thing, but a decent UI is much tougher to pull off than anyone appreciates.

The lens database is a great and (probably) infinite task. My own requested addition would be for Contax, as I have a few N lenses on the Sony and a few 645 lenses on the Leica.

Best,

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Anders,
    I wonder if there would be a benefit to projecting the angle of view out from the lens in the upper left figure? I guess in a way that duplicates the info on the right figure, but it might help with understanding how all this fits together. Or it might just clutter everything up.

You're going to ban me from posting any more "ideas"...

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

After a period of using this app I think it is an excellent app and I whole heartedly thank Torger for developing it.

Here are a couple of things that I think will make it even better:

1. Add a third mode in addition to the current two modes (i) no-tilt (ii) tilt (iii) tilt+swing
    This mode would allow the user to see the combined effect of mixing tilt and swing.
    This feature would take this app from excellent to legendary
    The price can be adjusted to account for that also.

2. Caching: I use the 32HR at f8, but I have to reselect f8 every time I start the app.
    Each lens' last used setting should be cached and used.

Thank you Anders ! - I look forward to these features
    Cheers!
    IQ3 100 H • Cambo 1200 • Rodenstock 23,32,90 • Zeiss 350SA
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Anders,
    I wonder if there would be a benefit to projecting the angle of view out from the lens in the upper left figure? I guess in a way that duplicates the info on the right figure, but it might help with understanding how all this fits together. Or it might just clutter everything up.

You're going to ban me from posting any more "ideas"...

Dave
    Sorry I missed this post back in May. I did think about putting in the angle of view there, I think it wouldn't clutter too much, the reason I left it out was that then the app needs to know if the lens is shifted and by how much, and I'm sort of out of screen space, so I chose to leave out that feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    After a period of using this app I think it is an excellent app and I whole heartedly thank Torger for developing it.

Here are a couple of things that I think will make it even better:

1. Add a third mode in addition to the current two modes (i) no-tilt (ii) tilt (iii) tilt+swing
    This mode would allow the user to see the combined effect of mixing tilt and swing.
    This feature would take this app from excellent to legendary
    The price can be adjusted to account for that also.

2. Caching: I use the 32HR at f8, but I have to reselect f8 every time I start the app.
    Each lens' last used setting should be cached and used.

Thank you Anders ! - I look forward to these features
    Cheers!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding that third mode, while I certainly think it's interesting I think it will be quite difficult to visualize in an understandable way, and the cases where I have found myself using both tilt and swing is in cases when ground glass / live view focusing makes more sense than using the app, as it's for example macro, or fine-tuning focusing on a patch of ground.

Many cameras don't even support tilt+swing, and some do it the way that they rotate the whole tilt mechanism, either in fixed steps or stepless. Actually I think a rotating tilt mechanism is generally easier to work with than separate tilt and swing controls (I have the latter on my Techno). I'll think about tilt/swing a bit, but I don't think I'll make it in the nearest time, as it will probably be quite complicated to learn how it works and be used by very few.

I'll certainly consider 2, there's some caching already today but as you have noted it could be expanded.

Post Thanks / Like

Anders,

I picked up the app a few weeks ago. A lot to like and very well worth the purchase.

One thing that I think would be a nice feature (unless I missed it somehow) is a mode for focus stacking that would reasonably match the XF focus stack app. Would be nice at a certain aperture, far and short distance to know how many shots is required to fully capture the scene. It does not appear that it varies the point of focus based on the distance from the camera but rather divides the range by the number of shots.

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Anders,

I picked up the app a few weeks ago. A lot to like and very well worth the purchase.

One thing that I think would be a nice feature (unless I missed it somehow) is a mode for focus stacking that would reasonably match the XF focus stack app. Would be nice at a certain aperture, far and short distance to know how many shots is required to fully capture the scene. It does not appear that it varies the point of focus based on the distance from the camera but rather divides the range by the number of shots.

Ed
    Sounds like a good idea, I don't have access to an XF though so I need to find some docs/video on exactly how it works... anyone that has a link to some info?

Post Thanks / Like

Anders, if you are still in Lulea then I am there often and have an XF if you want to see how it works.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'm still in Luleå but travel around a lot during the summer (I'm not there for the moment), so we'll see if an opportunity turns up.