The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Mamiya 6 OR Hasselblad 500cm

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another vote for the Mamiya 7 or 7II & 65mm combo. Add a 43mm for wide and you're pretty much set with a superb RF outfit that can be used handheld. I found the 65 more versatile than the 80, although 80's are much easier to find. Very robust and you can carry it around like a super-sized Leica.

D

DougDolde

I think it depends on how your're going to use it. For travel I'd surely choose the Mamiya. One thing about the Mamiya 7II though is it has a spot meter that meters the lower right quadrant. Easy to blow out skies with it. A fixed soft nd grad on the lens will help this. Don't know how the other models meter.

sizifo

Hey. I've bought a 503cw +80mm one month ago, an enlarger, and have been spending way too much in the darkroom (=bathroom). And the photos look amazing, even with my lacking skills. No scanner yet to post stuff.

It's an awesome photographic experience. Diametrically opposite to the small format ricoh street shooting. It actually takes a decent amount of time and thought to fill the 12 frames.

Apparently the 80 mm is not regarded as highly as some of the other lenses, but it does have that 40mm equivalent (in 35mm terms) look that a lot of people, me included, like a lot. I'm not sure of the mathematics, but I don't quite agree that it's the equivalent of 50mm. It also has the "many famous photos were taken with this very lens" look :)

One thing I can warn you about is buying on ebay. I thought I got an excellent deal, until I took it to Hassy service for lube & adjust. There were various problems, and it cost a whole lot. So it could be good to buy from a reputable dealer for a little more, or be absolutely sure about the seller. I think you're also lucky, since one of the apparently most reputable service guys is in new york. David Odess, or something. He also has a very useful webpage.

I'd also search photo.net, they have a ton of information on medium format film.

I have no idea about the mamiya, but if there is a better experience than the hassy, I'd like to know.

Seascape

I guess you could hand hold a Blad, but the best results will be from use on a tripod with careful composition and mirror lock-up.

I guess you could shoot with a Mamiya on a tripod, but they are at their best hand held......just like a Leica M.

I would suggest that you make you decision based on which way you will be using it most. As people have indicated there is no wrong decision.....just go with the one that works best for you.

The only reason to consider otherwise is if you think you may want to shoot with a digital back at some time in the future......Blad 500 series are fully compatible with most DMFB's.

I recently purchased a mint Blad with 50 FLE, 100 Planar, & 180 Sonnar, for prices that would have been unheard of just a few years ago.

Medium format B&W film, really doesn't have any serious competition in smaller format digital products.

bensonga

Now that is scary ... and true! I can personally attest to this.

The other thing that happens is that you wish you'd never sold them, even though they were sitting for ages unused in the cupboard.

You could probably add a Leica M6/35 cron to this list too.
Darn. I'm still short two of these cameras. Ok Helen....in this case, you can't go wrong, get either the Hasselbald or the Mamiya 6/7, knowing full well that eventually, you will just have to get the other one. Doesn't really matter which one you start with, right? :))

Gary
Alaska

P.S. Remember that thread eons ago about the special allure of Zeiss glass? :thumbup:

P.S.S. Zeiss or no Zeiss...I'm still kicking myself because I couldn't buy Don Hutton's Mamiya 7II kit.

D

DougDolde

The Mamiya 7II was my first serious camera. I only had the 65mm lens and it was as sharp as a tack. This is one of my favorite images made with it, actually it's a crop not full frame as is obvious. Made on Kanan Road between Malibu and Agoura, California. Velvia.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Helen - I've owned both. I never got the hang of the Hasselblad off of a tripod - I found it surprisingly hard to get my hands into the right places and hold it steadily against the mirror slap. But strongly its favor is the CZ glass which will reward in a manner similar to Leica M and screw mount glass. And of course there is a path to digital with it if you like it. But plan on using a tripod.

I always thought of the Mamiya as a large, plastic Leica. It's not a particularly satisfying camera to use but the lens quality is stunning. Bring a handheld meter; metering on the camera is really quirky.

My favorite medium format film camera (and an all time favorite) was the twin lens Rollei 2.8 F, referred to in another post above. Look for the version with CZ glass - it was also made with Schneider glass. Even the way the strap attaches to the body is a total work of art. The Rollei gives you a from-the-navel point of view that is an identifying characteristic of the camera's images. It's silent and discrete and rock solid to hand hold braced against your tummy. Obviously the lenses do not interchange; there is a rare mid-tele version, and an extremely rare wide version.

sizifo

Helen - I've owned both. I never got the hang of the Hasselblad off of a tripod - I found it surprisingly hard to get my hands into the right places and hold it steadily against the mirror slap. But strongly its favor is the CZ glass which will reward in a manner similar to Leica M and screw mount glass. And of course there is a path to digital with it if you like it. But plan on using a tripod.
I sort of disagree with this. Nothing against using a tripod, but I don't see why it should be necessary. I find the Hassy a joy to use handheld. I mean, there is no reason for a tripod to be a must - although this clearly depends on your style of shooting.

Regarding your first point, if you are using a tripod, why not pre-release?

Handheld, I don't think the mirror slap makes a difference.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
You might also consider the Hassleblad Superwide C (referred to as the SWC) - a truly legendary performer which alas I haven't owned. Same film magazines but no mirror - there is a large viewfinder and you focus using the distance scale - not a real challenge given its depth of field. There is a current thread on this forum on using it with a digital back, a proposition that I find very tempting.

ReeRay

Helen - just to throw a spanner in the works have you looked at the Rollei SLR lineup? Someone mentioned the care needed when purchasing on Ebay however 6 months ago I picked up from Ebay an absolutely mint kit consisting of a 6002, 45 degree revolving prism, 50, 80 and 150 lenses, Charger, spare inserts and spare batteries and a remote release for $1,500! And they're still available at this price.
This kit is perfect. Rollei glass is awesome, metering absolutely spot on, (I used to own a lightmeter, but not any more!) motor driven, and most definitely "hand holdable".
I also have a 500CM with CF glass and I'm blowed if I can see the difference. As you say - film rocks!

bensonga

My favorite medium format film camera (and an all time favorite) was the twin lens Rollei 2.8 F
Ok, if we're stepping outside the box....here's another vote for a twin lens reflex camera. In my case, the Mamiya C220/C330. Very sharp lenses, very simple operation. A terrific medium format camera.....should work good for street photography too.

Gary
Alaska

helenhill

Wow, I'm Floored with All Your Thoughts & Enthusiasm...THANK YOU

Quite Impressive that landscape shot of Yours Doug
and
Sizifo: How cool is that from a Ricoh to a Hassy
and like me bathroom developing...:ROTFL:
and YES Gary, The Allure of Zeiss Glass ... Lovely shot of Trees

Since I just bought an M8 /from Bob
and its in FAB/EXC shape & Tres Beautiful
I should be Happy
but I'm feeling rather FLAT
Either I had over high expectations of an M8
and obviously its new to me & I'm not adept
but FILM seems to lure my heart, eye & hand....

So I'm Confused...:scry:
My M2 is mad at me
but I'm Persevering...:)

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
love the tlr rollei, nothing else like it:
ground glass viewing you can fall into
waist level finder perspective, reversed l/r image to get used to
silent little shutter click, no mirror
oh so cool and retro
great lenses
not much dough
a 2-1/4 sq format
i've got one if you want to try it out

D

DougDolde

I really like the first two Woody. The first one must have been tough seeing thru the viewfinder !

halfFrame

Helen, I have used both systems and many others over the years. I traveled to Peru and Burma a few years back with 2 Leica M6s (with 35mm, 50mm, and 90mm) and 2 Mamiya 6s (with 50mm, 75mm, and 150mm). ALL the gear fit snugly in a Domke F-3x Super Compact bag. The weight distribution was much better than when I tried the same with my Hasselblad system. The Mamiya M6 outfitted with the standard 75mm lens becomes much more compact that the Mamiya 7. It basically flattens into the body for travel. All three Mamiya lenses were seemingly as sharp as my Hasselblad lenses and were about 1/3 to 1/2 the size. The camera is great for the road and documentary work. For studio and portraiture I would pick the Hasselblad or something similar.
Anyhow here are a few images shot with the Mamiya for your perusal.

Geoff

One more opinion: I was really into the M2 for years, and finally moved up to MF about 15 years ago. The quest started with the Hassy, but was never comfortable with its ergonomic oddities for handheld shooting. It all made sense, and was really neat, but it just didn't work for me.

Then tried the rangefinders - Mamiya 6 was neat (folding up is wonderful!), and even a Plaubel (smaller yet), but for MF film, the Rollei TLR takes the cake. The TLR can take some amazing shots.

I've moved from looking for the "good shot", to striving for "keepers" - ones that resonate over a longer period of time. The Mamiya 6/7 or the Leica M8 is wonderful for the good shot, and has a lot of capability. Both are fine cameras.

But with a SLR or TLR, it is possible to get to the next level of composition. Shooting off the glass is sort of halfway to LF photography, but still hand held. Check out the work of Geoffrey James and his landscapes. His square work is TLR based and just wonderful.

http://photo-muse.blogspot.com/2007/01/geoffrey-james.html

Last edited:

helenhill

FAB shots
Docmoore: those hassy shots were wonderful
turned my head around / nore than the mamiya
or maybe it was THAT DOLL's gaze :eek:

Woody: Outstanding as usual

HalfFrame: Beautiful...makes me LOVE the Mamiya 6 even More

Geoff: Sooo Atmospheric /Did You ever see Bruce Davidson's book 'CIRCUS'
its one of me Fav's Thank you re:Geoffrey james

taking off work Today & out to play in the Snow storm...M2 all the way..my Spirits are Uplifted
THANX Everyone!!