The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad for MFD

MartinN

Hello

Is there any apps that recognize MFD files without tethering to a laptop, ie. other apps than PhaseOne CapturePilot and Adobe Lightroom Mobile ? I have tested that iOS 9 does not recognize P25 files .TIF as image files when trying to import them using cameraconnection kit (USB/Cardreader).

Are CapturePilot and LightroomMobile the only usable apps for MFD files ?

Which other iOS apps can you recommend for photographers, all suggestions are welcome ?

Martin

Christopher

Not that I'm aware of. As far as I know the iPads are still pretty much useless for any photo work.

Which I don't get at least sorting, rating and keywording would be great. Files use can be managed through an external drive.

MartinN

Which I don't get at least sorting, rating and keywording would be great. Files use can be managed through an external drive.
Thanks, Yes iPads could be great devices for small tasks in the field. However there might be iOS related restrictions making this impossible.

I really like FastRawViewer for OSX /Win.

Sad

MartinN

Which other apps than than CapturePilot and Lightroom Mobile are recommended for photographers ?
Tools & helpful stuff ?

Martin

steve_cor

I got an adapter from China on eBay to connect a Compact Flash card to the iPad Air.
Then the Photos app on my iPad recognizes the .mos files from the Leaf Aptus as raw files and imports them, but they look blurry.

I got an app called Photogene. It sees the same files that Photos already imported, but renders them sharply.

It works great. I recommend Photogene app.

--Steve.

MartinN

Thank you Steve

I will give this a try in a while. Of course an iPad is not the optimal device but
it could be cheap and light to carry.

Martin

gazwas

I was hoping when rumours of the iPad Pro started, Apple were finally realising professionals (as they named it) need to plug things into their tablets and have access to local storage. However, alas the iPad Pro was much the same as all the other (useless for photographers) iPads that are basically only fit for content consumption and games. Not sure how Apple can market this as a replacement to the laptop as its far form that which is a big shame.

The Macbook Air or Surface Pro are the only really portable and capable solutions for location Photographers and I feel everything else is just a work around, however both are not exactly a cheap solution to use in the field and verge on desktop class money.

Godfrey

I don't use medium format digital cameras so can't answer specifically to that use.

I use an iPad Pro 9.7" as my general purpose travel computer and for casual photographic work on the road. It has 256G storage, which means I have space for at least 2000 full rez JPEG+raw captures with the 24Mpixel Leica SL or M-P240. With either I use the Lightning to SD Card Adapter to move JPEG+raw files to the iPad, and I keep the Lightning to USB Adapter in my bag as well for quick*photo transfers from my iPhone. With the SL, I also use the Leica SL app for wireless tethered shooting (and casual image transfer, JPEG only).

For raw processing, I use the PhotoRAW app. It's handled DNG and every native raw file I have at my disposal to test it with. For finish image processing, I use SnapSeed, Photogene, and the standard Photos apps. They all work well and have different features.

Coupled with the other apps I have on board, I can take exposures from capture, through rendering, and directly into slide show and book presentation formats right on board the iPad. It's light, small, fast, and does a great job.

For MFD use, the questions are "what is the MFD storage medium and how to move the files into the iPad?", and then "what apps can work with the file formats required?" A card reader with CF cards connected to USB or SD cards would be easy, and there are apps that can access and move files from such readers even if they're not recognized by any of the standard software. Which apps can be used with them is the probably more problematic issue: I'd talk to the vendors of PhotoRAW, Photogene, and PiRAWhna apps to see if they can offer compatible file processing.

G

-- Please don't be silly about the name "iPad Pro". It's an iPad, uses the same OS as all other iPads and iPhones. Pro simply says it's a higher performance model in the range. The iPad Pro 9.7 that I'm using will do raw conversion of 30 24Mpixel Leica SL files in about 4 minutes—that's about five times faster than the latest iPad Air or iPad mini that I've compared it against. It has a faster processor and more RAM to work with which nets this speed improvement, that's all. --

gazwas

I use an iPad Pro 9.7" as my general purpose travel computer and for casual photographic work on the road. It has 256G storage, which means I have space for at least 2000 full rez JPEG+raw captures with the 24Mpixel Leica SL or M-P240. With either I use the Lightning to SD Card Adapter to move JPEG+raw files to the iPad, and I keep the Lightning to USB Adapter in my bag as well for quick*photo transfers from my iPhone. With the SL, I also use the Leica SL app for wireless tethered shooting (and casual image transfer, JPEG only).

For raw processing, I use the PhotoRAW app. It's handled DNG and every native raw file I have at my disposal to test it with. For finish image processing, I use SnapSeed, Photogene, and the standard Photos apps. They all work well and have different features.

Coupled with the other apps I have on board, I can take exposures from capture, through rendering, and directly into slide show and book presentation formats right on board the iPad. It's light, small, fast, and does a great job. --
Which is great for working on images after the event but during (tethered) its a no show for all formats. I'd love an iPad Pro for my architectural photography rather than using a laptop on a tripod table or squinting at the tiny camera screen. :(

Additionally how do you get your worked on images off the iPad and onto a desktop machine (?) transfer back to a memory card again?

masud

Which is great for working on images after the event but during (tethered) its a no show for all formats. I'd love an iPad Pro for my architectural photography rather than using a laptop on a tripod table or squinting at the tiny camera screen. :(
I use my iPad Pro for live view during shooting with my H5D-50c Wi-Fi. It tethers wirelessly with the camera using the Phocus app for iOS. It let's you see the live view image, zoom in for critical focus and let's you fully control the camera from the iPad (although I prefer using the focus ring on the lens barrel).

Shineofleo

I use my iPad Pro for live view during shooting with my H5D-50c Wi-Fi. It tethers wirelessly with the camera using the Phocus app for iOS. It let's you see the live view image, zoom in for critical focus and let's you fully control the camera from the iPad (although I prefer using the focus ring on the lens barrel).
This sounds cool!!! I use Shuttersnitch with my Nikon on the iPad Pro 12' and it is great.

Unfortunately my Mamiya Aputus II 6 is too old to have any wireless feature...

gazwas

I light my interior shots so live view is not quite the final result so can an iPad Pro in any way be used like a laptop to rewiew images (not just live view) on its nice big screen?

masud

I light my interior shots so live view is not quite the final result so can an iPad Pro in any way be used like a laptop to rewiew images (not just live view) on its nice big screen?
Yes, you can view it on the iPad after taking the shot - with Phocus for iOS it behaves like if you're tethered to a laptop - I use the 12" iPad Pro and it looks great. You can also browse the files on the camera CF card from the iPad, so you can essentially browse and see all the shots, not just the last shot taken.

Godfrey

Additionally how do you get your worked on images off the iPad and onto a desktop machine (?) transfer back to a memory card again?
Wireless tethered capture with full camera control in the field works fine with both my Olympus E-M1 and Leica SL. It also worked with the Sony A7 I had. Only JPEGs transfer wireless to the iPad, but raws stay on the camera card and can be transferred to the iPad afterwards if I elect JPEG+raw in-camera and use the Lightning to SD Camera Adapter dongle.

Once back to my desktop system, I connect the iPad to the Mac mini, open Image Capture, and move all the files I transferred to the iPad onto the Mac mini, including any processed images, and thence into Lightroom.

G

gazwas

Wireless tethered capture with full camera control in the field works fine with both my Olympus E-M1 and Leica SL. It also worked with the Sony A7 I had. Only JPEGs transfer wireless to the iPad, but raws stay on the camera card and can be transferred to the iPad afterwards if I elect JPEG+raw in-camera and use the Lightning to SD Camera Adapter dongle.

Once back to my desktop system, I connect the iPad to the Mac mini, open Image Capture, and move all the files I transferred to the iPad onto the Mac mini, including any processed images, and thence into Lightroom.

G
Thanks for the explanation and sounds like just what I'm looking for. What software (app) allows file transfer from the Sony A7 (or any wifi enabled camera) camera to the iPad for instant preview?

Godfrey

Thanks for the explanation and sounds like just what I'm looking for. What software (app) allows file transfer from the Sony A7 (or any wifi enabled camera) camera to the iPad for instant preview?
Such apps are usually provided by the camera manufacturer. Sony "Play Memories Mobile" for the A7. For the Olympus, it's "Olympus Image Share". And for the Leica, it's "Leica SL". I know Panasonic and Nikon have them too, likely Canon as well. They're all free downloads from the App Store, so just search for your camera manufacturer there.

G

gazwas

Such apps are usually provided by the camera manufacturer. Sony "Play Memories Mobile" for the A7. For the Olympus, it's "Olympus Image Share". And for the Leica, it's "Leica SL". I know Panasonic and Nikon have them too, likely Canon as well. They're all free downloads from the App Store, so just search for your camera manufacturer there.

G
I had a feeling you were going to say that. :(

The Sony app is terrible, are there no apps that do a similar thing that allows some more control of the image. An iOS version of Capture One would be excellent (working without a laptop running) so is there something like that for the iPad Pro??

masud

The Sony app is terrible, are there no apps that do a similar thing that allows some more control of the image. An iOS version of Capture One would be excellent (working without a laptop running) so is there something like that for the iPad Pro??
If you are a Hassy user, Phocus for iOS works quite well for live view, image review and camera control, but no editing. Like you, I also don't like the Sony app for iOS.

Godfrey

I had a feeling you were going to say that. :(

I agree the Sony app is poor quality.

Neither the Olympus nor Leica apps offer editing, but both do much better on control, image review, and JPEG transfer. For editing, I use SnapSeed and Photogene, both of which do a good job, and Photos, which also does a surprisingly good job. For raw conversion, I use PhotoRAW after transferring files with the SD card reader.

I have done a lot of casual editing on the iPad, but mostly on JPEGs. With both Olympus E-M1 and Leica SL, the JPEGs are darn close to finished right out of the camera.

G