The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Raw file EXIF metadata - add or edit lens, aperture and shutter speed information

MomentsForZen

I am using a Hasselblad 500C/M body with a CFV-50c digital back. With this configuration, the raw 3FR files can only record the ISO value. I makes notes on the lens, aperture and shutter speed information for each shot and would like to add this to the raw files so that it is permanently recorded with the relevant image.

Does anybody know of an app for Mac OS X that can add or edit these EXIF metadata fields in the raw files?

I thought that the Phocus processing app from Hasselblad might have included a facility for doing this, but I couldn't see one. Did I miss something?

Any help with this task will be very gratefully received. Thanking you in anticipation.

Frederic

If you supply Phil Harvey with some 3FR samples I'm sure he would consider supporting Hasselblad raw files in Exiftool.
I'd recommend you get in touch with him through the exiftool forum and post a request.

MomentsForZen

Thank-you, Frederic, for the link to "ExifTool". I have had a look at the list of supported files and found that it already provides support for the Hasselblad raw (3FR) files.

I shall give this program a try. It looks like using this program will be "interesting" experience - I have not used a command line program for quite some time. ;-)

there is a app for OSX called Exif Editor which works great for individual or batch of H raw files; I am using it a lot. This app is around $10 (and I have nothing to do with, just a user...). I believe you can find it in the App Store.. You can change and/or add information in various exif fields.

there is a app for OSX called Exif Editor which works great for individual or batch of H raw files; I am using it a lot. This app is around $10 (and I have nothing to do with, just a user...). I believe you can find it in the App Store.. You can change and/or add information in various exif fields.
sorry, this app does not work with .fff raw files, but with DNG files (and other types). I am using it only with DNG files generated from .fff files through Phocus. Just checked again. Sorry again for the misinformation. Thus probably not a good solution for managing exif data directly in the H raw files...

MomentsForZen

Thank-you for this suggestion.

http://exifeditorapp.com/mac/tech-specs/

If I have found the documentation for the OS X app that you are referring to, it looks like it would do the job splendidly ... except that Hasselblad raw 3FR files are not one of the listed formats that is suggested.

You refer to "H raw files" - do you mean Hasselblad raw files? Is the program documentation out-of-date and the program now supports Hasselblad 3FR raw files?

Or have I been looking at the wrong app?

MomentsForZen

sorry, this app does not work with .fff raw files, but with DNG files (and other types). I am using it only with DNG files generated from .fff files through Phocus. Just checked again. Sorry again for the misinformation. Thus probably not a good solution for managing exif data directly in the H raw files...
No need to apologize. I shall consider how I might be able adapt my work practice and workflow in the light of this information.

Thank-you, jvpictures, for your suggestion and for the further check that you made. I appreciate your generosity with your experience and time.

Jacacanta

Hi,
Just in case here is the command line I use with exiftool to update my files on a Mac OS X:

exiftool \
-Lens = "Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM" \
-LensSerialNumber = "158999999" \
-LensModel = "Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM" \
-LensType = "Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM" \
-FocalLength = "35.0 mm" \
-MaxApertureValue = "2" \
-m -overwrite_original_in_place -P \
/your_path/your_file

You can also use (instead of the specific path and file)
-ext fff .

To update all files with an extension fff in the current directory (the dot at the end of the sentence)

As usual, try before on a separate folder at your own risks ;)

MomentsForZen

Hi,
Just in case here is the command line I use with exiftool to update my files on a Mac OS X:

exiftool \
-Lens = "Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM" \
-LensSerialNumber = "158999999" \
-LensModel = "Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM" \
-LensType = "Zeiss Biogon T* 2/35 ZM" \
-FocalLength = "35.0 mm" \
-MaxApertureValue = "2" \
-m -overwrite_original_in_place -P \
/your_path/your_file

You can also use (instead of the specific path and file)
-ext fff .

To update all files with an extension fff in the current directory (the dot at the end of the sentence)

As usual, try before on a separate folder at your own risks ;)
Hello Jacacanta.

Amazing. Amazing. This is all I can say in relation to your generosity and thoughtfulness. You have provided extremely practical information that will save me no end of trial and error. And again provided the sound advice to try my edits on files in a temporary / scratch directory.

I hope that the light is forever just as you need it to be.

Frederic

Thank-you, Frederic, for the link to "ExifTool". I have had a look at the list of supported files and found that it already provides support for the Hasselblad raw (3FR) files.

I shall give this program a try. It looks like using this program will be "interesting" experience - I have not used a command line program for quite some time. ;-)
Reading metadata is supported, I don't think editing 3FR files is. Hence my suggestion to get in touch with the Exiftool creator.

Jacacanta

Hello Jacacanta.

Amazing. Amazing. This is all I can say in relation to your generosity and thoughtfulness. You have provided extremely practical information that will save me no end of trial and error. And again provided the sound advice to try my edits on files in a temporary / scratch directory.

I hope that the light is forever just as you need it to be.
You're welcome, my pleasure! I learnt so much from the forums without never having a chance to give back that for once I was happy to finally be able to offer some help on my turn! :)

Joao