Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Hi,

On the shopping list! But I need to sell off some old gear first to pay for it.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    @erik
    watch out for the new arca heads.... geared pan.

Post Thanks / Like

you can sell me your d4 without the geared panning ;-)
    [ no picture ]

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like time to resurrect this thread.

The problem of tripods is weight, stability, and height. You can get something really big and stable, but you never can take it with you. You can get something really portable, but while you carry it, you never use it, usually because it is too short. Personally, I look for something I can carry (defined as all day in mountainous terrain) and that can hold the camera at (my) eye level. I also like simple, compact heads. The solution that has worked for me for a really long time has been a Manfrotto Carone 441, three section legs, their short center column (lighter than the standard column), and an Arca Swiss P0 ball head.

The tripod is no longer made--I have had it that long--but I think similar models are available. I also like flip locks rather than twist lock (I have a couple of Gitzo tripods too). One reason is a visual inspection will show if the leg is locked. I do not use quick plates simply because I do not want the additional weight or bulk, both for the tripod and the camera. The Arca Swiss P0 ball head is a really compact and stable design. I simply mounted a 70mm diameter single screw plate to the top to attach the camera.

BTW, this was the photograph taken at the time of the shot above:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post

Velbon PH-273QL
    Well, nothing really that makes it special. Except its incredible light weight. It is featherlight at 390 gr. Believe it or not but even lighter than the tiny mini-magicball. Not very smooth action and overall less confidence in this one.
    Dan, I have had a couple of these mag-alloy Velbon ball heads. I think that model and the one smaller that is only 160g. Not the most elegant of designs, but they are stable with good size loads and inexpensive. The double slit design works really well for positioning the camera up or down, unlike the Arca Swiss with one slit, requiring the head to be spun to change the camera. If you need a ball head that is light, these are great. Also, unlike expensive models, you don't feel so bad using it in harsh conditions. Velbon previously used this design for some bigger steel heads. My largest ball head is this design. Bomb proof, much like the large Manfrotto you showed.