Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like

The great tripod & head thread!

I'm a tripod guy and I guess most in MF are. I thought we could all chip in on what we have and write a short comment on how we feel about our tripods & heads.
    I have just got a new tripod and that, ofcourse, triggered my eagerness to tell you about it.

My new 'do-it-all' is an Alpa branded Novoflex Triobalance and in the short time I have used it I like it a lot. A lot.

The ones I have in my stable now are these.

- - - Updated - - -

Gitzo G1500. Bought at the beginning of time. Big, heavy, bulky and ridiculously stable and rigid. I use it for the heaviest cams/outfits I have, for long exposures and for studio. Not really possible to walk around too much, close to the car when out and indoors is where it is used. Extends very high, haven’t got a measurement, but I need a steps to reach teh cam if fully extended. Did I mention that it is stable……

Manfrotto 268.

I believe the biggest ever produced by Manfrotto. It weighs like a small car but can hold a heavy load. I bought this at the same time when I invested in a complete setup of Fuji GX680 III, at the time of its release. This ballhead could easily hold the huge Fuji in place and didn’t even dip when locking. This is my studiohead still but have never taken it outdoors since I got the Linhof.
    It really is so heavy and wide base that I can use it as a stand alone as tablesupport for the Sony with the Loxias.

- - - Updated - - -

Gitzo Carbon fibre GT2531.
    My hiking tripod. There’s a lot to like with these legs. Light and sturdy and the locking mechanism is hard to beat. Very nice. Great combo with the tiny Magic ball, but it holds the Linhof 3D Micro nicely too.

Novoflex Mini Magicball. What a brilliant little tripodhead! Love this one. So easy to handle, smooth movement and locks down very securly. For the Sony it is a perfect match, but even with the Alpa TC/Helvetar 75/Credo 60 it holds it nicely and I do not hesitate to use this combo if minimum weight is required.
    Now it also doubles as a tiny head for monopod use with the new tripodsystem Alpa/Novoflex.

- - - Updated - - -

Velbon Carbon fibre legs Carmagne 630.
    Not bad at all. Lightweight and easy to handle. The least stable I have but in no windy conditions it will do the job just nicely. The legs feels nicer than the head that came with it.
    I personally never use this one but have it as a ‘quality-spare’ for enthusiasts that come along on my workshops that either do not have a tripod at all or is of terrible quality.

Velbon PH-273QL
    Well, nothing really that makes it special. Except its incredible light weight. It is featherlight at 390 gr. Believe it or not but even lighter than the tiny mini-magicball. Not very smooth action and overall less confidence in this one.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Linhof 3D Micro. My to go head and has served me fantasticly well. I know there are quite a few that are put off with the limited angled reach, but this has not been a problem for me. I extend the legs so the tripod is roughly level and tweak to perfection with the head. No probs. What I find bulky is the seperate 90 degree angle piece. This would have been nice if it was somehow incorporated in the main head.
    The smallish knobs for the pano action is a little tough to stay put, you need to tighten a little more than you wish was needed. I know there is a new mechanism for this on the current model so I guess its not only me…
    Apart from that, it suits me brilliant and has been a tremendous help in my architectural assignments. But not to forget the precision for keeping the horizon absolutely level in the field. If you have seen any of my landscapes, you see that I never compromise in this aspect and still I never, (maybe one in a hundred), tweak in post. I figure one less time throwing around the pixels is only for the good. Would be tough to part with this one.
    A bonus now is that in combination with the new Alpa/Novoflex Triobalance head, the angle reach has increased dramatically. Even if I have managed very well without this extra reach, it never hurts with extended possibilities. Who knows, I might even go wild and crazy and compose with cam tilted….
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Alright, why yet another set of tripodlegs and another head. Well, I really liked the modular concept and there are several factors that made me want this system.

First of all, the levellinghead itself with incorporated leg inserts is slim, small and light. I have the excellent circular bubble level from Alpa that is put on top of any cam and it is spot on. Thus, I can quite easily level my cam in the field with this extremely small head.

Secondly, Novoflex has a number of panoheads and/or quick realises to add on, but maybe even better - I have my trusty Linhof 3D Micro and can ofcourse mount this on top and enjoy even further movement, as I already have said.

Thirdly. I have now a three section ‘standard’ length carbon fibre legs that extend more than enough for my use. But I can quickly unscrew the legs and use the tabletop legs that came with the head and shoot extremely close to the ground, or use only one of the tabletop legs in combo with the large once if leaning against a wall, rock or anything with atleast a metre in difference.
    And, maybe the greatest thing of all, to buy the smallest 5 section legs for a specific application in my case which is being able to put the legs and the head inside a backpack, when I go offroading with my motorbike!!!! Now that would be amazing.

Lastly I would say that they look good! Sure, nothing to do with performance, but I am a sucker for stuff that looks good and performs at the same time. Well thought out products that will last and that can be changed/built-on during its lifespan. Great.

- - - Updated - - -

The FPS and Schneider 60XL straight onto the TrioBalance head.

- - - Updated - - -

And here it is used in combination with the Linhof head. (Don't you just love that shade...)
    Alpa FPS • MAX • TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 • Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com Follow me on ›› Facebook
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No write-up on the Triobalance?!

A Gitzo and Acratech are what I use. I think the tripod might be lighter than the head!

Post Thanks / Like

Unscrew one leg and put on the Mini Magic ball and in about 20 seconds you have a perfect monopod.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, that Novolflex trio system looks very good. However, I found their Basic Ball with the solid metal mini legs to be very stable, but resonant. In particular, it was unusable with the old A7R because shutter-induced vibration was obvious in the images. Too bad because it is sometimes useful to insert the metal rods to create a little tabletop tripod. I have not tried the Basic Ball with the A7R2, because I was too lazy to test for vibration. The trio appears much more flexible in allowing the head to be mounted to standard tubular legs but it also accepts the metal rods. Have you tried mounting the head onto the rods, or have you just used tubular legs? No shutter-induced vibration issues?

Post Thanks / Like

For my Linhof Techno I use a Gitzo 3541XLS (discontinued, the replacement is called 3542XLS) and a Arca-Swiss D4 head. For me this is the ultimate combination.

The special feature of the Gitzo 3542XLS is the length, 2 meters (80 inches) max height. I can't imagine having a shorter tripod as my shooting style often benefits from a slightly higher position, and with sloping ground I often need the height even if I'm not standing on something. The drawback is it's quite long folded size and weight. As a result I generally don't carry it on the backpack, but over my shoulders. With full camping gear when I have a huge backpack with proper carry system I can put it on the backpack though.

Having no center column it's a pain to use for closeup photography, but I do very little of that so I can live with that.

I went for the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head instead of the Arca-Swiss cube. It's lighter and it's quicker due to unlocking action (which I do use from time to time), so I prefer that. The drawback is that it's a bit "jerkier" in the movements when turning the gears but it poses no real problem for composition, and it's rock-stable so to me it's the best tradeoff I could find. Here's my review of the D4 head: Arca-Swiss D4 review

I'm a bit boring for this type of thread though as I really only use one tripod and one head and have used the same over several years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    No write-up on the Triobalance?!
    Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    Have you tried mounting the head onto the rods, or have you just used tubular legs? No shutter-induced vibration issues?
    I have just tried out the new Triobalance once, for two hours, so a writeup is a little unfair now. But I can say this much, I have yet to find anything to dislike
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice thread Dan. You are definitely a tripod guy. Wow.
    A thread with consolidated tripod and head related information...
    Whats not to like

Just today I received a TVC-33S tripod. My first impressions are extremely positive.
    It is light and sturdy and unlike a Gitzo 5 series I owned for a short time, I think I am going to keep it for a long time.
    According to one RRS video TVC-33S, due to its reduced height might be the sturdiest RRS tripod.

As far as heads are concerned after happily owning a Markins ballhead for 10+ years, I wanted to buy one thats geared for easier levelling.
    I ended up with KPS T5 based on Ken Doo's recommendation.
    A ballhead with gears - I think its just about perfect for my needs.

IQ3 100 H • Cambo 1200 • Rodenstock 32HR 90HRSW • 350 Superachromat
    UnTroubled Land
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm going to have to recuse myself from this thread to avoid self incrimination

Would love to know more about the Alpa head though.

Shooting with a 6ft+ friend of mine. My gitzo still had two leg segments left and I had to stand on my pelican case to reach the camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	963.7 KB 
ID:	119090  
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    I went for the Arca-Swiss D4 geared head instead of the Arca-Swiss cube. It's lighter and it's quicker due to unlocking action (which I do use from time to time), so I prefer that. The drawback is that it's a bit "jerkier" in the movements when turning the gears but it poses no real problem for composition, and it's rock-stable so to me it's the best tradeoff I could find. Here's my review of the D4 head: Arca-Swiss D4 review
    I use a number of tripods and heads and can swap between them easily by using the RRS rail clamp on each tripod and base on each head. I use both the D4 and Cube as my primary heads. The D4 has the benefit of having greater movement potential for shooting down plus also the gear release does allow you to rapidly change the angle of the head. I also like the lighter weight/mass too on smaller tripods vs the Cube. However, when accuracy and micro adjustments are needed the Cube has few peers and I don't forsee ever not using it when I can.

I'm not going to talk about my B1G, Z1 DP, Z1, P0, P1, BH55, BH25, 2x Acratechs, 410, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    I'm a bit boring for this type of thread though as I really only use one tripod and one head and have used the same over several years.
    The horror of such an admission here on getdpi!
    Ylem ...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, I'm sure there's a name for this affliction of tripods and heads :-)

Do you have a link for the new Alpa head/legs? I can't find it on their site.

Quote Originally Posted by danlindberg View Post

Alright, why yet another set of tripodlegs and another head. Well, I really liked the modular concept and there are several factors that made me want this system.

First of all, the levellinghead itself with incorporated leg inserts is slim, small and light. I have the excellent circular bubble level from Alpa that is put on top of any cam and it is spot on. Thus, I can quite easily level my cam in the field with this extremely small head.

Secondly, Novoflex has a number of panoheads and/or quick realises to add on, but maybe even better - I have my trusty Linhof 3D Micro and can ofcourse mount this on top and enjoy even further movement, as I already have said.

Thirdly. I have now a three section ‘standard’ length carbon fibre legs that extend more than enough for my use. But I can quickly unscrew the legs and use the tabletop legs that came with the head and shoot extremely close to the ground, or use only one of the tabletop legs in combo with the large once if leaning against a wall, rock or anything with atleast a metre in difference.
    And, maybe the greatest thing of all, to buy the smallest 5 section legs for a specific application in my case which is being able to put the legs and the head inside a backpack, when I go offroading with my motorbike!!!! Now that would be amazing.

Lastly I would say that they look good! Sure, nothing to do with performance, but I am a sucker for stuff that looks good and performs at the same time. Well thought out products that will last and that can be changed/built-on during its lifespan. Great.

[snip]

Post Thanks / Like

It's a re-branded Novoflex:

Novoflex - Sets

Just search for 'TrioPod' on B&H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pelorus View Post
    Dan, I'm sure there's a name for this affliction of tripods and heads :-)
    But ofcourse.....

We're a bunch of PODHEADS!

1. A person who loves drink coffee made with coffee pods

2. A person wearing headphones who is largely disconnected from the surrounding world.

3. People who are obsessed with podcasting

4. Someone who is glued to their ipod

5. Someone who exhbits a strong dependency on their photographic tripods and constantly updating or tweaking it
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    It's a re-branded Novoflex:

Novoflex - Sets

Just search for 'TrioPod' on B&H.
    My computer reports the link as an "attack" link. Be careful.

Post Thanks / Like

The link is fine - the problem is with the way forum links/redirects are handled; everything is currently being reported as 'malicious'.

Post Thanks / Like

Prepared a backpack with the Alpa MAX, Schneider 60 and Credo. Sony for behind-the-scene-snaps. Tripod fastened horizontal.
    Today was extremely hot, 40 C......so the bike was no brainer

Wanted to try the larger Max with Triobalance head only to see if it would be frustrating without the precision movements from the Linhof. I must say it was very easy to level the cam and fasten it in place. The bubble corresponded with the two on the MAX. On the snap above I positioned the legs uneven on purpose.

A couple of behind-the-scene shots.
    Locking mechanism feels solid, need to turn a little bit more compared to my Gitzo, but feels good. Upper legs have markings which is helpful if you don't extend the full length. Overall it is a great tripod and one that will see a lot of action from my side.
    It is still early days, but I can definitely already recommend to try this system out if you are looking for a new flexible tripod system. I probably going to get the short legs too.....

Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

sounds very interesting. How does the Novoflex work? Just release some lock, adjust, and re-lock? Their site is beyond vague about this.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    sounds very interesting. How does the Novoflex work? Just release some lock, adjust, and re-lock?
    Indeed. A single lock/unlock lever for the levelling head.

I wrote above about the locking mechanism and was refering to the leg sections only.

I have only been out twice but it feels second nature now and love the flexibility it offers.

Just look at this setup for very tight spaces!!! Bringing one of these tiny, featherweight tabletoplegs allows for tripod use just about anywhere....brilliant

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a used Majestic tripod (weight 13 lbs) in 1968 it was my sole tripod until 2015 when I bought an Induro with an Induro head. I hauled that Majestic everywhere on every job and I still use it in the studio. I have hauled it and my 8x10 up mountains and into the ocean (just a little bit off shore to photograph a clients very large sculpture) The tripod itself weighs 6 lbs and the head 7 lbs. It extends in height to a bit over 6 feet. It is stable in a high wind. I used it last year in 35 mph winds on long exposures and not a bit of camera shake.

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant, from what i understands, you can also attach a gorilla pod on the side to grab on to poles to secure the rig.

I wrote above about the locking mechanism and was refering to the leg sections only.

I have only been out twice but it feels second nature now and love the flexibility it offers.

Just look at this setup for very tight spaces!!! Bringing one of these tiny, featherweight tabletoplegs allows for tripod use just about anywhere....brilliant

Last edited by HiggsSinglet; 12th June 2016 at 17:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Dan

Thank you for your report about this TRIOPOD SYSTEM .
    That intrigues me very much . NOVOFLEX is only about 60km from my place and as I will visit a
    location near by next week anyway , I will just visit them and have a detailed look .

NOVOFLEX does not sell the TRIOPOD SYSTEM with the ALPA label . But that is only nice to have anyway . Am I wrong here or is the TRIOPOD with the ALPA label of better quality ?
    Where did you buy yours ? And what is the max. hight you have . Carbon legs I assume .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jurgen,

160cm high. Bought direct from Alpa Zurich.

.....and how could you not just love the exquisite way they have branded it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jurgen,

160cm high. Bought direct from Alpa Zurich.

.....and how could you not just love the exquisite way they have branded it
    Yes Dan , I agree . I can't find the branded TRIOPOD on the ALPA site nor on the NOVOFLEX site .
    It seems , you have a private and very secret channel with ALPA .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Yes Dan , I agree . I can't find the branded TRIOPOD on the ALPA site nor on the NOVOFLEX site .
    It seems , you have a private and very secret channel with ALPA .
    I believe in longterm business relationships and do not look for the ‘best’ deal all around the world. I appreciate service and trust more.

I have been a good client for 3 decades to the oldest photoshop in Sweden, Mattssons Foto in Lund. From them I have bought lots and lots and a little more….Linhof Supertechnica 4x5, Contax RTS and 3 lenses, Hasselblad 500 CM and 5 CF lenses, Contax G and 2 lenses, Mamiya 6 and 2 lenses, Fujifilm GX 680 III and 3 lenses, Canon 1Ds II and 5 L-lenses, Leica M9 and 3 lenses, Sony A7r and 3 lenses and the list goes on but you get the point.
    I get excellent service and hints and tips when something is looking interesting in my field. I still use the email from their website and still use the main phonenumber and get connected to who I want to speak to. Friendly on the phone, swift replies on email. Works perfect for me and I don’t need more.

Same with Alpa. A decade ago I completely fell in love with the craftmanship and overall concept and ideas of pure photography. I have been ‘very’ faithful because the system as a whole inspires me and (I’m sure of it) makes me a better photographer. In the film era I only had the same feelings towards the GX 680 III as I now do with Alpa. None of the rest has made my heart beat faster.

Now, on purpose I simply copy/paste the two last sentences for Mattssons, because they are equally valid for Alpa…..
    I get excellent service and hints and tips when something is looking interesting in my field. I still use the email from their website and still use the main phonenumber and get connected to who I want to speak to. Friendly on the phone, swift replies on email. Works perfect for me and I don’t need more.

Post Thanks / Like

Playing around with a couple of Profotoheads for tabletop shooting. Testing how the Triobalance handles in studio. No behind-the-scene though.....

Just for fun

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,
    Great test photo. As always, your sense of balance is exquisite.

Here is my "stable", much of which has been learned from this great GetDPI resource:

Gitzo 3541XLS: Not used much any more. As Graham pointed out, it has the one big advantage of getting really tall. I am almost Jack-tall and I can walk under it.

RRS 34L w Cube: Not quite as tall as the big Gitzo but "tall enough" even on hillsides. And the legs are just soooo nice. A little shorter folded up so it fits in my suitcase with the head removed.

RRS 24L w D4: This was my backpacking setup. But now that I've got a DB with live-view the need for a geared head is reduced, so I may ditch the head all together and just use the RRS leveling base.

Gitzo 2541 w BH-40: Ah, the original light CF tripod paring. Reserved for mountaineering w/ a7rII.

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Senior Member Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As most of you do, I have more gadget bags and tripods than I do lenses! But my most-used combo for the XF is a Gitzo GT3530LS and The Cube. Has never let me down.

For moving subjects I'm usually hand-holding but I may use an Acratech ball head instead of The Cube. For macro work (flowers, ground dwelling critters) with the waist level finder I use a Leitz table top tripod with a ball head. Not something you'd generally put a heavy MF camera on, but it works quite well once it's properly balanced. The vibration delay in the XF is very useful then.

Post Thanks / Like

What a great thread and Dan, that is some serious obsession. Please let us know how the therapy is going.

Here is a behind the scenes shot with my frankenstein. I'm not proud of it but it works. RRS TV34L with leveling base, cheapo indexed rotator and cube. My biggest problem with this rig is weight and I can't keep the legs tight.

Would be interested in trying some of the options mentioned here. If the linhof micro had indents on the bottom rotator I don't think I would be able to help myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great idea for a thread Dan! Especially for those of us who are as addicted to tripods and heads as we are to other photo gear.

I haven't pulled the trigger on a Cube yet, but I do have a few favorite tripod/head combos that will carry my medium format and 4x5 field cameras. Here are two of them: a Gitzo GT3530S with an Acratech leveling base and RRS BH-55 and a Induro CT313 with the FLM Centerball 58 FT. I have a very strong preference for 3 section leg tripods instead of 4 sections and usually buy/use a tripod/head combination that is probably bigger than required. Probably because I rarely have to carry them very far for the kind of photography I do.

I also have an older Ries J-100 with a J-250 double tilt head. It is an absolutely beautiful piece of kit. I don't have a picture of it here on my computer, but I will take and post one soon.

Although I would not want my wife to read this, I believe my current tripod collection numbers more than 10, but less than 15.

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 30th June 2016 at 04:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic thread, thanks to everybody for all the responses!

Hope I am not hijacking this thread but am wondering if anybody had any suggestions for a smaller setup? I currently have a large Gitzo tripod (cant remember the model name but it is really large) and an Induro PHQ3 head.. My standard camera setup is the Sony A7RII and a Canon 24mm TS-E II.

It works totally fine but I would love something smaller for travel..

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much in advance!

Post Thanks / Like

Two suggestions: RRS 24/24L. If that is still too big then the Gitzo GT2542 / 2532.

The BH-40 head from RRS is a great combo for the Gitzo.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the RRS 24L with a BH-40 head which I use with my Cambo WRS setup and couldn´t be happier (except if I could get a miniature lightweight Cube type head ;-)
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

The only head that I've found similar to the geared AS Cube in a lighter form function is the KPS T5 geared ball head. The AS Cube is a bit too top heavy for my RRS TVC-24, but perfect on the more robust TVC-33, which also has a wider leg stance (spider). The KPS T5 works well on both RRS 2 and 3 series---easy to swap out using the Graham Welland RRS tripod head quick release system...

I'm using both Phase XF and Cambo WRS.

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You can never have enough tripod:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ylem ...
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just settled for Gitzo g1505 and a Benro monoball head for that easy mountain hiking...

Was a bit silly few years ago when I chose Vanguard Alta Pro series with pistol grip head. Except its massive failure of a locking screw coming to a hard stop rather than tighten properly, one thing that abomination does exceedingly well is to topple sideways and pinch your hand (part between thumb and finger) to make you instantly recall all long since forgotten ancient Balkan curses, especially as you are trying to reach for a branch or a rock to hold on to as you are crossing a waterfall or something similar....

On top of that the mid column is wobbly and it rusts faster than an Alpha Romeo...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice thread!

What is a good alternative head or ballhead to RRS BH-55? it is heavy and bulky, and it give extra weights when i travel, and also i am not much in love with My Markins Q3T and RRS clamp, i want something that can handle big loads minimum 25kg for example but not as heavy as BH-55.

Also, i am looking for a head for large format camera but not a ballhead type, i want with handles so i can control each orient separately, any recommendations?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is my Ries J-100. This tripod is at least 20 years old, probably closer to 30. A good friend of mine who passed away a few years ago was the original owner and he took very good care of it. He used it with a Arca Swiss Monoball head. I decided to get the Ries J-250 head for it as I will be using it primarily with 4x5 cameras. A friend of mine has a Ries with an A-S Cube and that setup would certainly be more versatile for using with a medium format camera.

I think a classic wooden tripod, especially one as well made as the Ries, is simply beautiful. A real pleasure to use and own. Handmade in Bremerton, Washington.

http://www.riestripod.com/

Gary

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Nice thread!

Also, i am looking for a head for large format camera but not a ballhead type, i want with handles so i can control each orient separately, any recommendations?
    I have this Gitzo pan/tilt head that I really like for larger cameras. I have used it with my 4x5 field cameras (Ebony and Toyo) and a Mamiya RZ67 Pro II. I too prefer a classic pan/tilt head with handles over a ball head in many situations.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Way_Head.html

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's my Gitzo and Arca C1 Cube to the photo collection of this thread...
    best, Domenico.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    You can never have enough tripod:

Is this in a Behind the Scenes thread, too? And what did you use for this capture?

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like

here a H5D-50c mounted on a Arca Swiss D4 with Arca Swiss flip lock quick release and L-bracket.

Name:	IMG_5025.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	427.9 KB 
ID:	119913  

Post Thanks / Like

Grabbed a 2nd hand Gitzo G1507 and a Benro ball head.
    It will make a perfect mountain hiking combo with RZ67

Wondering if any Swedish GetDPI dwellers can point me to 2nd hand sales or rentals in Stockholm area? Can't quite fit the 1507 into luggage and it would be nice to have a work tripod at home in Europe..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jvpictures View Post
    here a H5D-50c mounted on a Arca Swiss D4 with Arca Swiss flip lock quick release and L-bracket.
    How does it work with the HTS attached?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use a few tripods and head combinations below is the prettiest

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    How does it work with the HTS attached?
    that I don't know since I do not have yet the HTS, but currently looking around for a used one...
    the camera sits on the Arca Swiss Flip Lock slide and can be moved forward or backward. I guess with moving forward there might be enough space between the head/tripod and the HTS, but again I don't know for sure. Maybe somebody else can chime in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I use a few tripods and head combinations below is the prettiest

I think that the term is sex on a stick (or perhaps 9 sticks)
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

RRS Tripod and head

Name:  _MG_9320.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  326.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

The heads I had…

Hi,

I started with the Acratech Ultimate ballhead. A great design, except I hated the quick release…

Next up was the RRS BH-40 with lever type QR. Quite OK, but no love…

The next one was RRS BH-55, a small improvement over the BH-40. I don't think ball heads are for me. A lot of pain in the wrists.

Arca Swiss D4, with gears. I love that one. Unfortunately, no gears on panning. Had a small accident driving over that tripod head with my Toyota RAV 4. No damage to that head, works perfectly. That mean much more luck than deserved…

The two heads I really liked were the Acratech and Arca Swiss D4. Some day I may buy an Acratech again…

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jvpictures View Post
    it works very well with HTS 1.5, without the special H adapter when the camera is moved on the rail fully to the front.

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	120308  

Post Thanks / Like

@erik
    watch out for the new arca heads.... geared pan.
    [ no picture ]