Site Sponsors

Thread: Anyone shooting Medium Format Film

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone shooting Medium Format Film

I was thinking of buying a MF camera just to use every now and then and will use it for portraits. I am want a not so heavy camera system with Excellent IQ and NOT expensive. I won't be using it too much. My thoughts are with Mamiya 7ii
    and 75mm lens. Sounds crazy to want to shoot film after all these years. I am using Nikon D810. I read some reviews on the Mamiya about the Rangefinder going out of adjustment. Any suggestions as to my Crazynist? Thanks

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Anyone shooting Medium Format Film

Quote Originally Posted by rollsman44 View Post
    I was thinking of buying a MF camera just to use every now and then and will use it for portraits. I am want a not so heavy camera system with Excellent IQ and NOT expensive. I won't be using it too much. My thoughts are with Mamiya 7ii
    and 75mm lens. Sounds crazy to want to shoot film after all these years. I am using Nikon D810. I read some reviews on the Mamiya about the Rangefinder going out of adjustment. Any suggestions as to my Crazynist? Thanks
    Love my Mamiya 7 although I use the 65mm with mine. All of the lenses from the Mamiya 6 (50/75/150 etc) and Mamiya 7 (43, 65, 80) work well with perhaps the 150mm being the only one that doesn't have the same stellar reputation. I've had, erm, several Mamya 7's over the years and I've never had a problem with RF alignment. The biggest issue used to be the overly optimistic hyper focal settings on the lenses and the need to effectively use 1-1.5 stops extra leeway if relying on hyperfocal focusing for infinity for example.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

A masochistic endeavor if you ask me.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    A masochistic endeavor if you ask me.
    You're not a real masochist until you use a GX680. I do when i have time. Unfortunately, I don't have a good medium format scanner available for the time being, but it's on my shopping list.

My daughter told me to add this, or else...
    8 year olds can be very persuasive sometimes
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You're not a real masochist until you use a GX680. I do when i have time. Unfortunately, I don't have a good medium format scanner available for the time being, but it's on my shopping list.

My daughter told me to add this, or else...
    8 year olds can be very persuasive sometimes
    Or, if you want a slightly easier time, RZ67 Pro IID

But for the OP, not much better than the Mamiya 7II or my other favorite the Bronica RF645 which is especially oriented to portraits (literally).

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Anyone shooting Medium Format Film

I'd suggest the OP grab a Fuji GW/GSW 670 or 690 and give it a try. These are straightforward and built like tanks, have great lenses, not much to worry about really. They probably are not the most portrait oriented cameras, but if he enjoys the experience he can later move to a Mam 7II and sell the Fuji without a loss.

Oh, and there's nothing crazy about shooting films these days, only people who don't and will tell you so... I still shoot MF and LF and prefer the results I get over my MFDB, which I use for work only.

Post Thanks / Like

Not crazy at all. I still shoot with my Leica M9, but my main cameras are a 4x5 shooting almost all Portra color films and a Hasselblad. Since I develop my own film, I have to shoot for multiple years before I can burn enough film for high end MF Databack, and I shot ~400-500 sheets of 4x5 in the last couple years doing 3 portrait projects.

If your interest is mainly portrait, I would recommend picking up a Hasselblad 500CM with a 80/2.8 and it should not cost more than a Mamiya 7. The Mamiya will be sharper for sure, but the Hassy renders differently and is more flexible.

Check out my 4x5 projects here:
    http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/Tran...lay-Portfolio/
    http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/Worl...FnF-Portfolio/

I am not doing projects with the Hasselblad per se, but here are a couple portraits

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends on how much money---or investment into the entire system you want to do.

Fuji GA645 series?? Sorta like a medium format point and shoot. Keeps it simple.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The main thing is to have a good MF scanner or scanning device too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can deal with all manual operation and scale focus, and really want compact and handy to have with you, it's hard to beat a Voigtländer Perkeo II folder. Folded, it's about the size*and weight of a Leica CL. It has a very sharp Color Skopar 80mm f/3.5 lens, and is extremely well made. The lens gives it about the same horizontal angle of view as a 35mm lens on you D810, but you have that much more vertical angle of view as well.

Camera, clip-on rangefinder accessory, a small meter, and a couple of rolls of film all fit in a very small bag. I bought mine in good shape for a little more than $100, and paid another $150 to have it completely overhauled: it works and feels like new.

(I also love to shoot with a Hasselblad SWC, which is ultra-wide, very compact for what it is, and incredible quality, but you said "NOT expensive"—which it is not.)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    The main thing is to have a good MF scanner or scanning device too.
    While I have a Nikon SuperCoolscan 9000, I tend to do my medium format scanning using a Leica BEOON and a flat panel light box nowadays. Both the M-P and the SL fit nicely on the BEOON and it allows very quick, very usable 16Mpixel captures of 6x6 negatives and transparencies. I created a customize calibration profile for Lightroom that does the inversion and gamma correction processing, which makes working with negatives almost as fast and seamless as working with transparencies.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestions. Let me narrow it down to My Priorities:
    1- AF and NOT a Heavy camera( will use it for Travel and Portraits)
    2_ Budget of no more than 2,000
    3 Excellent IQ
    Not sure about RF I am 69 and AF is best for me.
    Where to buy
    Thank you everyone

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. I appreciate the suggestions. Let me narrow it down to My Priorities:
    1- AF and NOT a Heavy camera( will use it for Travel and Portraits)
    2_ Budget of no more than 2,000
    3 Excellent IQ
    Not sure about RF I am 69 and AF is best for me.
    Where to buy
    Thank you everyone
    For AF and compact, light weight, you're likely limited to the Fuji GA645 series cameras. Prices in the $300-$450 are common on Ebay.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious about your approaches. I've thought about picking up an older Mamiya that can use my Phase One lenses to shoot some film. But if I'm going to scan the film to process it digitally then it seems somewhat pointless - a bit like using an axe and hand saws to make your own lumber but then using a shop full of power tools to build furniture from the lumber.

I'm not being critical, I'm genuinely curious about why you approach the process that way. Why don't you stay analog and make darkroom prints?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you. How good is this? Good for portraits?
    Fuji GA645 Professional Autofocus 6x4.5 Medium Format Camera with 60mm f/4 Lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This might sound stupid but how much of a difference is there from Fuji GA 645 from the Hassy H2 with 80/2.8 in terms of IQ. Big difference in price but How do they compare? Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

This might sound stupid but how much of a difference is there from Fuji GA 645 from the Hassy H2 with 80/2.8 in terms of IQ. Big difference in price but How do they compare? Thank you
    Just to make things clear. The Fuji GX 645 AF is identical to the Hasselblad H1, except the color. The Fuji GA 645 is a rangefinder style AF camera.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Some folks suggested Mamiya 7, I would guess it is a good proposition as they are known to have very good lenses.

The problem with film is scanning, CCD scanners don't have the density range of slide film and they may have problem to keep up with Ektar 100.

The Mamiya 7 is capable of excellent results, but you need scan the images on a high end drum scanner.

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, which was regarded a pretty decent scanner in the days it was made. With that scanner I could not really touch my Sony A900 in anything that matters, except possibly resolution. I was mostly shooting Velvia with a Pentax 67.

So, I would say that I am quite a bit skeptical about scanned 120 format film. That said, the potential is there, just that you need a very good drum scanner and good post processing. Some info:

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2014/1...vs-6x7-velvia/

https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/1...ra-comparison/
    https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/1...ison-comments/
    https://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2011/1...rs-commentary/

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on Rolleiflex, or even the Rolleicord Vb is a great camera. I have a number of 12x12" pics on the wall at home from my old 3.5f. No AF but everyone should own a Rollei at some point in their life.
    David
    Auckland, NZ.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    +1 on Rolleiflex, or even the Rolleicord Vb is a great camera. I have a number of 12x12" pics on the wall at home from my old 3.5f. No AF but everyone should own a Rollei at some point in their life.
    I also had the Rollei as my backup.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot medium format film in 617. 617 and 5x7 are my most used cameras.
    I rarely use my Fuji 690's and once a year use my 645 AFD to do the 1 time per year family group photo and pic of my baby nieces.
    As long as you enjoy it..nothing else matters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maggy-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	119159  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Some samples, Pentax 67, Velvia, Minolta Dimage Pro scanner

Hi,

Here are some sampes From my Pentax 67: https://echophoto.smugmug.com/Travel/Sextener-Dolomiten

Most images are shot on Velvia with a P67. Some images are probably Provia, the last few are digital images shot with Sony Alpha 99.

Scanning was on Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro a 3200 PPI CCD scanner made for 120 film.

CCD scanners are significantly limited in Density Range. The Minolta was probably around 3.2 while the Max density of Velvia was around 4.0. These figures are log 10 units. Minolta's specs said 4.8, but that figure is just a marketing number.

To scan slide film really well, you would need a drum scanner using Photo Multiplier Tube technology. The Imacons are often said to be drum scanners, but they are definitively not. They have no drums, and they are CCD devices.

Best regards
    Erik
    Last edited by ErikKaffehr; 13th June 2016 at 17:00.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just under your budget and as a bonus you get 36 spare bodies if one goes wrong...

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/yrk/pho/5554642592.html

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Some samples, Pentax 67, Velvia, Minolta Dimage Pro scanner

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    To scan slide film really well, you would need a drum scanner using Photo Multiplier Tube technology. The Imacons are often said to be drum scanners, but they are definitively not. They have no drums, and they are CCD devices.
    A well-done camera based film-scanning capture system will exceed a drum scanner at many many times faster; I know as I've done the tests myself.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some samples, Pentax 67, Velvia, Minolta Dimage Pro scanner

PHi Doug,

I would agree in part, as I have done tests like that of my own. But I have some reservations, too.

Foremost, it is not easy to set up a good film scanning setup. Yes, DT knows how to that, but I don't think folks looking into MF film have such a high budget.

Also, a CCD based system will never be able to match the Density Range of Velvia, late generation CMOS will do.

Some high quality drum scanners can scan at 10000 PPI, and I don't think that resolution can be matched by digital backs.

On the other hand, film has inherent grain, while digital is very clean. Also, film has a gradual drop of of MTF, while digital backs maintain MTF in high frequencies better than film.

So, if you have a a good digital back, it will be much better used for shooting the subjects digitally than going over film and doing repro of the film.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    A well-done camera based film-scanning capture system will exceed a drum scanner at many many times faster; I know as I've done the tests myself.
    Last edited by ErikKaffehr; 13th June 2016 at 18:08.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    You're not a real masochist until you use a GX680...
    Guilty!!
    My hiking choice, though for now it sits in the case while I use my pocket camera RZ67..

I am shooting film still and I do love Delta100, FP4+ and HP5+...and on colour side I stocked up on Fujichrome Pro400x - it's a truly amazing film!
    I still have one frozen roll of Astia 220 - it's absolutely unbelievable, and just as gutting that it's out of production.
    Scanning on Epson 970 is a bit of a challenge, especially to get the settings right in the beginning, but I would love to think that I nailed it.

Velvia100

Pro400X

Reala100 (out of production)

Astia100 (out of production)

Film has certain character and its properties might be pleasant for some, and unwelcome for others.
    Another thing that kept me shooting is the lack of instant gratification - there is something magic for me personally in waiting to see how results turned out.
    But that's just me.

Ed. Maybe look at Fuji GW690 series? the lens is fantastic, and it's a light one. Only drawback is Japanese Engineering Genius that couldn't make shutter close on releasing the shutter cable at long exposures. "Brilliant work!"
    Last edited by Krosavcheg; 7th July 2016 at 00:52. Reason: After thoughts..;)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

here is some work of my 6x6 trix - 501cm cfi 80mm

Ohne Titel by Michael Guggemos, auf Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gmfoto...57662224367615
    [ no picture ]
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some images i did with film:

B&W [RZ ProII + 50mm + TMAX100]

Color [GSW690III + Velvia 100 or 100F]

I do have more photos from those cameras and also from Hasselblad 501CM and Holga 120N and Mamiya RB, wish my Mamiya 7II is working then i will have more from this one for sure.
    Tareq
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For portraits, I would rather recommend a TLR or SLR, but no rangefinder like the Mamiya 7. An RB67 or RZ67 does not cost much these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rollsman44...since you recently bought a Pentax 645D and will be buying lenses for it, you might give some thought to a Pentax 645 film camera, which of course uses the same lenses. I have a 645NII. They can be found in very good condition for about $500.

The Pentax 645 FA 150mm f2.8 would be an excellent lens for shooting portraits.

SMC Pentax-FA 645 150mm F2.8 [IF] Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Or even the older, smaller and less expensive manual focus 150/3.5 lens.

SMC Pentax-A 645 150mm F3.5 Reviews - 645 Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 8th July 2016 at 08:18.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing this thread again ... I really must pull out the Hasselblad SWC and take it for a photo walk! Perhaps tomorrow morning. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, I decided to sell my Fuji and buy a Pentax 645N and 3 lenses. I also purchased today a Pentax 645Z and will sell the 645D I just purchased a few weeks ago. I really wanted the Z and should have bought it initially.
    Anyway, these are the lenses I have for BOTH Cameras:
    FA 75/2.8
    FA 45/2.8
    A 120 / 4.0 Macro
    FA 80-160 /4.5
    A 150/ 3,5
    I will try them all and see which ones I will keep,
    I never thought I would own this many lenses and MY DREAM Camera the 645Z

My 645D Is up for sale now. Thank you for your recommendations and hope to hear some more ideas/ suggestions for me with my NEW systems. Thanks Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats on the 645Z-wonderful camera. Surprised you don't have any wide angle lenses as you could be missing something.

The 150/2.8 was one of my favorite medium telephoto lenses. I liked the 75/2.8 and the 55/2.8 (very sharp on the Z) for mid/normal range work. Seldom used my 300. The 90 macro was often used and was blazingly sharp. I only bought AF lenses which I mainly used in MF mode, but used AF mode when I wanted to dial in a situation or just use AF only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was going to try the 45mm to see if its enough coverage for what I need. I will try all these lenses out this week and see if they all good enough for my work. I plan on using them along with my 645N as well. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gary, I decided to sell my Fuji and buy a Pentax 645N and 3 lenses. I also purchased today a Pentax 645Z and will sell the 645D I just purchased a few weeks ago. I really wanted the Z and should have bought it initially.
    Anyway, these are the lenses I have for BOTH Cameras:
    FA 75/2.8
    FA 45/2.8
    A 120 / 4.0 Macro
    FA 80-160 /4.5
    A 150/ 3,5
    I will try them all and see which ones I will keep,
    I never thought I would own this many lenses and MY DREAM Camera the 645Z

My 645D Is up for sale now. Thank you for your recommendations and hope to hear some more ideas/ suggestions for me with my NEW systems. Thanks Dennis
    Congratulations on a terrific system for both film and digital Dennis! I really should consolidate my camera systems and pick up a 645Z, but I have a hard time selling off gear. I'm sure you are going to get some terrific images with it.

One other lens you might want to take a close look at on the wide end is the 35mm. I don't shoot wide very often myself, but if you do, by most accounts this is a very good lens.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Gary, I was thinking of the 35/3.5 lens. I know its MF but read some good reviews. Have any knowledge on this one?
    Thanks for your info. Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Gary, I was thinking of the 35/3.5 lens. I know its MF but read some good reviews. Have any knowledge on this one?
    I had that lens on my 645Z and it was superb. I used to leave the beep for on when in focus and once I heard that I would shoot. No issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you kindly. Dennis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Dennis. There is also a FA version of the 35mm lens, before Pentax released the new FA-D version. I think Dave's review indicated the FA (autofocus) and A (manual focus) versions of the 35mm lens are optically very similar.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrevi...F3.5-Lens.html

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from a trip to Maine where I actively avoided bringing a digital camera (except my iPhone for fun snaps). I shot with an R4a, an M6, a Rollei 2.8E, and a Chamonix 45N-2. I shot 7 rolls of Velvia and Provia, 3 rolls of mixed C41 neg, 8 rolls of 120 400H and Ektar, and 24 sheets of 4x5 Velvia, Provia and Ektar. I got back on Saturday and I'm already scanning some of the E6. Looks pretty fantastic! I can't wait to get to doing proper wet-scans of my 4x5 film. It was my first time using ND grads and that really helped with the chromes I think.

One thing that keeps me away from shooting digital for my serious personal work is that I just have no trust in the archival-nature of a digital file. I trust pigment inkjet prints, but that's a different story. No-one is going to find a box full of .NEF files in three decades from now. When I'm old and looking back on my work, will I open up LR CC version 106 to flip through my DNGs? Obviously not. Sure there are DAM procedures that work pretty well but you have to be so "on it". Knowing that I'm human I know I will make a mistake somewhere along the lines. Baring a fire, a child, or a very angry woman my negatives are fine in their sleeves.

Then there is the joy of using the cameras. They are objectively a different experience, and it's not just nostalgia. If sailing and horseback riding were just about transportation obviously no-one would still be doing either (and people don't say "look at all those hipster sailing enthusiasts"). My Rolleiflex elicits a very different response from both myself and my subjects when shooting portraits. If you can get over the fact that your film images have grain and will never beat digital for absolute sharpness, there is a lot to love in film photography. It's funny because every Photo 101 course in the world teaches students that 'sharpness isn't everything', and yet it still seems like that's what people talk about the most. Kind of a shame, really.

To answer the OP, you can't have AF in a small 120 camera that is good for portraits. The Fuji P&S 120 cams are good for many things, but not portraits. Get an H1 or Fuji GX645 for that, but know they're big. I recommend a Rollei or a Hasselblad. They're great all-rounders, and not too big. The Rollei has a more classic look generally and the Hasselblad lenses are far more modern and contrasty. I like the Rollei look and the speed of it's operation but more people that I know that shoot 6x6 prefer the Hasselblad. (They're wrong of course. )

Scanning really is still a problem though. Do people realize that Hasselblad has not changed the X1 or X5 scanners (which are not that different from Imacon 848 & 949s) for a decade, and the price hasn't come down AT ALL? They can't still be in production because Kodak made the CCD. Come on Hasselblad, there is no reason the X1 should cost more than an H5D-50c. For my negative 35, 120, and what pro work I do on film, I use labs that scan on Fuji Frontier SP-3000 scanners. They're great for up to about 11x14 and wedding albums. The colorists there are really good and the turn-around is great. I personally use The FIND Lab and Indie Film Lab.