The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

tjv

Sounds perfect to me. Pano format sensor, not crop would be amazing.

I'm hoping for a relatively affordable (for MF) rangefinder style panoramic mirrorless. I believe there was a interview of press release where the Hasselblad Representative mentioned the X-Pan. That will actually be game hanging and something that no one else is doing in any format besides film.

markymarkrb

If you go to the instagram feed with this post (hasselblad_official), somebody makes the comment "a rebranded Sony A7?" to which Hasselblad_official replies "please not #mediumformat" I think we can count on this being a medium format camera but will it be an X-Pan or a mirrorless medium format camera? Who knows. When I went to the H6D presentation here in Washington DC, I asked the rep specifically about there being a digital X-Pan and he said he had no knowledge of that camera yet but did know that Hasselblad considered it the ''silver bullet" for products and that we would for sure have a few cameras released from Hasselblad this year. It is still a ways till Photokina so the release of this camera right now is interesting too. I wonder if they know that other manufactures will release mirrorless MF this year too? Sony? Bring on the X-Pan!!!!

gazwas

I'll be so disappointed if its a digital x-pan or square format only camera as I imagine only a small select group of photographers would actually buy one and I'd hardly call that game changing.

I hope its something that builds on HB's heritage and in the vein of the CFV backs that looks distinctly Blad but a mirrorless camera that can be adapted to use all HB lenses new and old. It needs to be a camera designed for photographers, not millionaires IMO and I'm sure they'll sell by the lorry load. A mirrorless body designed for the future that will allow a future version of the same body but with a pano chip for the x-pan fans or a square sensor for the V System fans. All the smart car manufacturers are building cars sharing the same platform/parts so maybe the camera manufacturers should take a leaf out of their book.

iiiNelson

If you go to the instagram feed with this post (hasselblad_official), somebody makes the comment "a rebranded Sony A7?" to which Hasselblad_official replies "please not #mediumformat" I think we can count on this being a medium format camera but will it be an X-Pan or a mirrorless medium format camera? Who knows. When I went to the H6D presentation here in Washington DC, I asked the rep specifically about there being a digital X-Pan and he said he had no knowledge of that camera yet but did know that Hasselblad considered it the ''silver bullet" for products and that we would for sure have a few cameras released from Hasselblad this year. It is still a ways till Photokina so the release of this camera right now is interesting too. I wonder if they know that other manufactures will release mirrorless MF this year too? Sony? Bring on the X-Pan!!!!
That would be interesting if there was a Sony version in collaboration of the Hasselblad camera. I wonder what that would mean for Capture 1 software support if they did that?

tjv

Hopefully the mount is wide enough to accomodate a future FF version, and the lenses are all FF ready...

tjv

Hasselblad could beat Leica at their own game and offer lens adapters, including for the Leica S lenses...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I would be surprised if it's medium format. That's a tiny market with as many players as in the far larger DSLR market. It would be nice if it were a digital X-Pan of course. I'm guessing something in the direction of the SL, but more innovative, but not necessarily with a larger sensor.

BANKER1

I would be surprised if it's medium format. That's a tiny market with as many players as in the far larger DSLR market. It would be nice if it were a digital X-Pan of course. I'm guessing something in the direction of the SL, but more innovative, but not necessarily with a larger sensor.
Sorry Jorgen. If it it isn't MF or close to it, it certainly would NOT be a game changer. It would only be a me too, especially after the quote mentioned earlier from the Hasselblad representative.

Greg

BANKER1

My guess is that it is going to be a mirrorless camera with the current 50MP CMOS sensor and some whiz bang features. If it is a digital XPan, it would have to be a sensor that they have figured out how to join together. It would be no small feat, since I have heard it is almost impossible to do. And, Sony would need to have other manufacturers who are interested in the same format. I really doubt that this is the case so, I do not think the market for that type of Sony sensor will be large enough for them to develop, and thus, no XPan.

It is interesting that they are making an announcement so close to Photokina. But, who knows, maybe they have something else to announce then.

Greg

iiiNelson

It's more than likely MF because they hashtagged the shot with medium format identifiers on their FB page.

tjv

According to Hasselbkad themselves, it's definitely MF. My guess is almost certainly the crop Sony sensor of the 50c. The big question is form factor and other features, mirrored or Mirrorless and lens lineup.

MrSmith

I do wonder if it will genuinely be a "game changer" though, manufactures like to use these terms but often the reality is a Luke warm make-over of existing technology. The last phase release had a built in spirit level:thumbup: a game changer has to be almost disruptive to the marketplace or have some features that totally revolutionise how people make images or cause a huge shift in buying habits. I guess the only recent game changers have been the 5DIII, and sony7. These were brands the pro rental/dealers were not interested in previously (here in London) but now stock.

Be great to see something revolutionary/modular/on chip af etc and not what amounts to an overblown Sony RX1 with limited appeal.

will just have to be patient, only a few more days.

ChrisLivsey

The louder marketing shout "Game Changer" and the longer the teaser countdown campaign, all raising unrealisable expectations, see above, the greater the ultimate disappointment either in the product, think Nikon Df, or the cost.
I'm afraid Hasselblad's prosumer is going to occupy the same market segment 'sumer that buys a digital Leica M without a screen.
Unless the software has an auto shutter release settable at "decisive moment release mode" it's highly unlikely it will produce images that can't be captured with current cameras. Of course the "game changer" could be it's half the weight of a H6 and can take lots of lenses because of no mirror. That presupposes a lens collection across platforms of sufficient quality is just sitting in your cupboard waiting to be used and you are currently missing many opportunities to shoot stunning work just because you can't carry a camera that's high enough quality but light enough, not been looking at the market recently then?
Still saving for the HC 100mm f2.2, the magic is in the glass in front of the body and the brain behind it, sometimes these days in the post software, it used to be called darkroom magic.

CSP

to call this a game changer is for sure the right description because it brings price sanity back to mf.

JeRuFo

to call this a game changer is for sure the right description because it brings price sanity back to mf.
That game was already changed quite a while ago with the 645D. Let's hope they bring something that is more fitting in this second half of the decade.

If they want to get a slice of the market, they'll have to come up with something new, like a MF RX1R. Simple is fine, but it has to be well engineered, the times of terrible live-view and crappy EVFs is behind us. Interchangeable lenses would be fun, but only if Hasselblad is willing to allow the use of all kinds of lenses and integrates their use too.

miska

How about a "universal" Hasselblad ? A mirrorless 50Mpix MF-crop sensor, with adapters for all Hassi lenses:
- H lenses with AF
- Hassi V lenses (manual focus, but with live view)
- Xpan (manual focus, but with live view) with automatic crop of the sensor in one dimension.

So any Hassi lens you've ever had could fit this body. I think it would be pretty sweet.

V

Vivek

I can tell you that it's beautiful.

I can also tell you that it's NOT made by Fuji.

I can also tell you that it is made in Sweden.

If this thread get's cluttered up with people making hilarious comments about the debacle that was the Stellar then I'm out.

Oh and I know marketing like to throw around phrases like "Game Changer" but this one is.
15 hrs since that post and no funny comments.

Tell us more! :)

craigosh

I'm thinking a 50c based mirrorless body with a short flange focal distance. A few initial lenses for the system plus an adapter for H glass and V glass.

Would like to see a compact form that would allow it to be mounted to an Actus.
Adapters to take other brands glass such as Contax 645 and Canon
Maybe an adapter for H glass with shifts built in, or at least the V glass.

The price will probably be less than the H digitals but doubt it will be on par with the pentax.
Would be good if it was though.