The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

MrSmith

It's certainly a risk... as it wouldn't hurt their core focus group for this camera. They could have over-simplified it. I hope not, but I would not be surprised.
There seems to be wifi and filming symbols on the screen, maybe the wifi is for exporting a square 1080x1080 jpeg straight to Instagram

torger

Hope it will compatible with E mount Sony via adapter. It will be more attractive
That's unfortunately highly unlikely. Even if the flange distance look short, it seems to be around 20mm and E-mount is 18mm. To fit an adapter to E-mount I guess it would have to have a flange distance of like 10mm or so...

torger

Their public image is fine at least regarding the people I talk to in person who don't live on and live for photo enthusiast gear forums.
It's not about the people that have worked in the company built cameras and survived many ownership and CEO changes. I've seen many companies destroyed by poor leadership and top-down steering into the wrong products, I've personal experience about that even, very frustrating when you're one of the designers and forced doing something you don't believe in. The new CEO comes from luxury brands. The owners/board usually don't hire a CEO with that background by coincidence.

So far I've been surprised of how much camera and how little luxury that has come out from this new leadership. So it looks good so far, but I still think the owners have things to prove that they intend Hasselblad to be a relevant camera manufacturer rather than some sort of luxury brand living off the brand alone.

This new camera looks good to me so far, but it will be interesting to see how they market it, and what the feature set is. If it functions like a silly compact camera and is marketed to instagrammers there will be a big minus in my book, but if it really has logical functions and is a genuinely well-designed camera for photographers ("prosumers" or not), then it's on the plus side.

M

mjr

I think it looks to have great potential at that price point, as long as you can adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO quickly and easily then whats not to like about a 50mp mf camera that is compact. I don't have really big hands but if it's the size of an A7 then it wouldn't work for me, I need a bigger feel although that's entirely personal. As for all the rest of the gubbins, I am sure it will have lots of technology but you don't have to use it, it needs image quality and ease of use. As with all cameras, in the hands of someone competent I am sure it will produce beautiful images, but no amount of tech or new design will polish a turd as they say!

It's not for me I am positive but I think they could be on to a real winner with this, because of the short flange distance, I'd love to see some tilt/shift adapters to the H lenses, or a mount for some of the Arca/Cambo kits for those interested in movements.

Good luck to them!

Mat

Uaiomex

Where did the dial go? Is it one of those small button-like things on the back to the right of what seems to a an EVF?
If it is 44X33 is way overpriced for 2017!
It looks so much like a SWC.

Seems like images have leaked now. Hasselblad X1D.... $9k body only, so my guess of $8.5k was not too bad. Looks like a 44x33mm sensor, 45mm/3.5 and 90mm/3.2 lens available for $2.3k and $2.7k. I'm hoping for a wide angle too, but it seems like the start is only two lenses.

The jagged button in the Hasselblad instagram photo seems to be a popup button located behind the shutter button.

markymarkrb

Is it just me or does anyone else not see the dial that was on the second teaser picture released by Hasselblad? Is this "leaked" picture fake or is their a second camera out there?

torger

Is it just me or does anyone else not see the dial that was on the second teaser picture released by Hasselblad? Is this "leaked" picture fake or is their a second camera out there?
I think the dial is there, but it's of popup type, look behind the shutter button. Press it, and it pops up, turn it to select whatever you select with that button, and press it again to move it out of the way. The image looks too good and too reasonable to be a fake.

med

It could be noted that the new mirrorless mount seems limited to the 44x33 size, and the new lenses are designed for that size, eg an "APS-C" of medium format. This should be expected though as it's intended as a prosumer camera, not to cannibalize on their own H line. The mirror box will stay in the pro segment for yet some time...
This is the same thing that many said about the Sony E mount for quite some time before the A7 was released, and that was with the NEX's in hand and the exact mount specifications known. I would be shocked if Hasselblad locked themselves into a "crop" sensor size.

This is definitely an intriguing camera and I am looking forward to seeing proper specs, as well as what Fuji does.

Uaiomex

I agree with you. For Hasselblad to lock this system with a 44X33 sensor automatically makes it a niche camera. Full frame 645 has to be. Or is niche market cameras the future for enthusiast photographers? Gosh, at least a 48X36!
I grabbed my 500CM without lens and mirror up to take a good peak at the camera through the lens opening. Taking into account this sensor must be at around one third the distance to the lens flange, did visual calculations. If this new lens mount is as big as the V camera's, a 54X40 sensor could be possible. me thinks

Besides Canon, Nikon and Sony are too close in sensor size with their FF35 bodies at 1/3 the cost.
Eduardo

QUOTE=med;695647]This is the same thing that many said about the Sony E mount for quite some time before the A7 was released, and that was with the NEX's in hand and the exact mount specifications known. I would be shocked if Hasselblad locked themselves into a "crop" sensor size.

This is definitely an intriguing camera and I am looking forward to seeing proper specs, as well as what Fuji does.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the LCD appears fixed. :thumbdown:
Right, after experiencing a flip screen for the first time on the Z, I'm not sure I could go back. This seems even more important on a compact camera that you can easily hold at all sorts of heights and angles.

On one hand I'm happy that there's finally a mirrorless MF camera coming out, but on the other hand I didn't expect it to cost more than a 645Z, it seems Hasselblad is still banking on pedigree to some extent.

I also wonder how the viewfinder and electronics will perform with such a large sensor, and also the thermal limitations of cramming all that stuff into a small body. It's going to need a beefy CPU to handle that no matter how you cut it.

vjbelle

I don't see anything wrong with building the system around the 44 X 33 sensor size. There's room to grow for pixel density without severely affecting lens performance (by requiring maybe one lower f stop for the same diffraction spec). This would be an easy camera for 16 X 9 two shot pano's as 10mm of shift is equal to 5 degrees of swing which is really pretty small. I was extremely happy with the files I got out of my Leaf CMOS sensor - even single shot. Now...... when will it be available?

Victor

Uaiomex

Is it really you Victor?!!!! :ROTFL:

I don't see anything wrong with building the system around the 44 X 33 sensor size. There's room to grow for pixel density without severely affecting lens performance (by requiring maybe one lower f stop for the same diffraction spec). This would be an easy camera for 16 X 9 two shot pano's as 10mm of shift is equal to 5 degrees of swing which is really pretty small. I was extremely happy with the files I got out of my Leaf CMOS sensor - even single shot. Now...... when will it be available?

Victor

vjbelle

Who is K&M Camera? They don't list Hasselblad as one of their product lines. If I was truly interested I would be talking to Dave at CI.... At this point I'm only slightly tempted but its a great release for Hasselblad assuming its available sometime in 2016.

Victor