The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Franke & Heidecke file for insolvency

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Doug I lost ya there. A RZ 67 would not work for my type of work nor would a waist level finder. But if i did more studio work a RZ would certainly be a nice compliment to my Phase body when that is more adept at other more fluid work. For what I do I am more the DSLR style of shooting.

D

DougDolde

For what I do, I'm finding the waist level finder to be almost always on the camera. The view is larger, more magnified, and more like looking at a large format ground glass, though a small one.

Bob, pass some grass man.

PeterA

Jack

I would consider buying Sinar - if I could secure the services of LL to push the product - you know like the great job he has done slagging off @ Hasselblad and ignoring every other back maker - except you know umm which backs does he like again? :D

Am I a touch too cynical? Yes - way too cycnical to invest one dollar of mine or my clients money in these soon to be terminated companies - victims of their own high margin low return business models.

It is truly scary whats going on and sad..very sad for craftsmanship

Guy

For me it isnt about the tool to do a job, because I have realised years ago that pretty much they all do the job and everything else is just - well everything else.

There is a pleasure working with the right tool that fits your hand which cant be objectified or rationalised. This pleasure is just as real - and perhaps more important than the raw files to be manipulated in software that they all produce.

If I didnt marvel at the magic of glass and the wonder at the mechanical and electrical genius of the construction of these things we call cameras, if teaching myself the beauty of shifts and tilts rises and falls wasnt fun - well my friend

I woudl buy a P&S with a 28m fixed lens and give it to my wife to make family snaps and find another hobby like ..maybe ..the search for the perfect Martini.:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
and find another hobby like ..maybe ..the search for the perfect Martini.:)
Dude, you must have missed that thread.... We already found it!

Seriously. Hendricks gin. Bone dry (don't even whisper vermouth as you pour the Hendricks into your shaker) and shaken GENTLY until as cold as is possible for 80 proof alcohol to get. Pour into a chilled martini glass, garnish with a generous slice of fresh Persian cucumber -- and don't even think about adding an onion or an olive, you'll destroy it.

I now return you to your regular programming :D

Guy Mancuso

I agree pleasure is nice Peter but I have still yet to find a camera fit my hand better than the DMR and I have been through a lot of systems. My pleasure anymore is really in working the files and seeing what they do. The hardware part in a lot of ways I keep losing interest in for some reason and not sure why. Since going into MF the glass got less important than it did when i shot the M8 or the DMR or any Canon which sucked or Nikon which i don't like the color. To me in 35mm glass is king for a great file in MF I feel it is the back and software are much more important than the glass anymore. I do still like nice glass and have some stellar ones but for some reason i don't put much into now and the Franke-Heidecke does absolutely nothing for me except seriously deplete all bank accounts. LOL

I'm in a funky mood today if you have not picked up on it. Just not happy with the world and my phone is deadly silent today. Not good things

D

DougDolde

My phone isn't ringing either. I really dig it that way..peace and quiet.

fotografz

I agree pleasure is nice Peter but I have still yet to find a camera fit my hand better than the DMR and I have been through a lot of systems. My pleasure anymore is really in working the files and seeing what they do. The hardware part in a lot of ways I keep losing interest in for some reason and not sure why. Since going into MF the glass got less important than it did when i shot the M8 or the DMR or any Canon which sucked or Nikon which i don't like the color. To me in 35mm glass is king for a great file in MF I feel it is the back and software are much more important than the glass anymore. I do still like nice glass and have some stellar ones but for some reason i don't put much into now and the Franke-Heidecke does absolutely nothing for me except seriously deplete all bank accounts. LOL

I'm in a funky mood today if you have not picked up on it. Just not happy with the world and my phone is deadly silent today. Not good things
Cheer up Guy, for you are not alone.

If things don't pick-up I won't need any of this stuff, and I can go back to running rolls of B&W through the Hassey just for the love of it.

But oddly, weddings are up for me.

Terrible news about Rollei.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks bud. I know your in the same space. Good on the weddings , may have to look that way myself.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks bud. I know your in the same space. Good on the weddings , may have to look that way myself.
Photography, Engineering services, corporate industrial moneys have dried up. I had to put my offices on thirty hour work weeks..I'm not a popular guy right now...pass me a Hendricks.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Mike my corporate industrial the bread and butter has no life blood. I still have a couple that are doing okay but the rest OUCH. I can see why your not a popular guy right now, so pass on the Hendricks bud. LOL

helenhill

I'll take a Full Bottle.....
Are we all in the Swamp
Very Sorry Mike.

This thread did make me Laugh :D:ROTFL:
as well as Terrify me

woodyspedden

MODERATOR WARNING
Discussion as to the liver temperature of Contax 645 or other dead or dead-appearing systems is strongly discouraged. Be careful, you never know when your favorite camera might be suddenly supported by a chapter 7 company or one merely acting that way. Consider that if they were any damn good then they would have generated enough sales to be interesting to somebody who would have at least bought the rights to the installed base.
Old Cameras, like relatives, often are most loved when gone.
You have been WARNED!
we return to our normal programming and apoligise for all of the inconvenience
As a former owner/lover of the Contax 35mm systems (three generations starting in 1975 and ending in 2005) I too am sorry that Kyocera opted out in such a destructive fashion. We will never know what might have been if they had gotten out of the way so that the brand could have been sold to someone who knew how to make a business of it.

On the other hand (he says in his most pragmatic broadcasters voice)it is what it is and Contax no longer exists for any format. You can make use of your contax 35mm lenses on the Canon mount and you can certainly buy up Contax 645 stuff in great shape which will take wonderful images for the rest of our lifetimes. Point is that it is a dead end, over and outl

So I say, get over it and move on to Phase, Mamiya, Hasselblad etc and buy into a system that will continue to be improved each and every day. i suspect we will see many of the Contax features implemented in these other systems as time moves on.

JMHO and definitely YMMV

WOODY SPEDDEN

PeterA

Jack - I did miss the thread and the recipe - thanks for that i will try it tonight my secretary is out sourcing the Gin now. Only problem is "Persian' cucumber - wtf is that ? LOL sorry buddy I like a green olive in mine. You know what - maybe a lunch time drink isnt such a bad bloody idea today!

Guy - I am on a downer myself - i think we are all sharing some pain no matter what field of enterprise we engage in to put bread on the table mate.

I have a really bad problem with gear - bottom line? I just dont LIKE digital I have tried to compensate by buying and checking out all the best stuff I can - but in the end I JUST DONT LIKE IT as much as ..dare I say it ? FILM * ....mad laughter now follows.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Only problem is "Persian' cucumber - wtf is that ? LOL sorry buddy I like a green olive in mine.
A slice of *ANY* kind of fresh cuke is better than an olive in this one -- and I *love* martini olives...

PS: I'm drinking one right now. Killed my last bottle though, so tomorrow is restock day.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Keep a spare in the pantry.
Besh advishe I could give ya
I do, but that WAS the frigging spare! And now I'm flat out and having to look askance at my bottle of Sapphire......

Talk about on a downer!

David K

Workshop Member
Persian cucumber... must be a California thing, but you are dead on with the cuke in the Martini. Tried it and loved it and I pick my bars these days by who stocks Hendricks. BTW, after a few of these I find I shoot the Contax better than the Hy6 :)