The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)

Nick-T

A digital x-pan.

You won't be seeing an x-pan on the 22nd. In the future who knows, but I think it extremely unlikely.

Why? When the x-pan first came out you didn't have the stitching options that we have now so it was pretty unique (a baby 6X17). Now you can easily stitch if you want, or indeed crop into a high resolution chip if that's what you need. Also it's not as if anyone if making chips in this format, it's just too niche a market.

A re-badged something else.

No no and no. This is a totally new thing.

People have pointed out that Mr Oosting has a background in luxury products (Vertu) but that has no bearing on this thing.

And I agree that the Lunar/Stellar this was very badly done, this is nothing at all like that.

I'll say it again, I really do think the thing is a game changer. I thought so the minute I handled it.

Bring on the 22nd!

tjv

If it's a viable Mamiya 7 replacement and reasonably priced in NZD then I'll almost certainly get one. Well, as soon as I've paid off my Credo...

V

Vivek

Yes or no?

New lens mount.

Large sensored compact with a fixed lens.

Monochrome only.

bensonga

Thanks Nick. I look forward to learning what Hasselblad announces on the 22nd and to hear more from you re the new camera, when you are free to tell us about your experience with it.

Regardless of his background, I think that Perry Oosting is taking the company in the right direction again.

Gary Benson

Last edited:

MomentsForZen

... I'll say it again, I really do think the thing is a game changer. I thought so the minute I handled it.

Bring on the 22nd!

Forgive my ignorance, but I am intrigued by the circumstances by which you got your hands on the new camera? You may be able to write of the setting, the drama, the emotions of being on the inside of this development. For sure it would be a grand story to share ...

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

JeRuFo

No amount of pre-launch hype will make up for a bad product, Hasselblad learned that the hard way. On the other hand, if it's good, I believe no amount of skepticism will kill it.

The market has been reasonably fair. Quirky is ok and some people will like that. But not enough R&D will kill new cameras quick. We are spoiled nowadays and don't want an expensive camera with just one outstanding feature anymore.

Nick-T

No amount of pre-launch hype will make up for a bad product, Hasselblad learned that the hard way. On the other hand, if it's good, I believe no amount of skepticism will kill it.
It's good.

I stake my reputation on it.

MrSmith

Nice thumb wheel pic on Instagram, whatever form the camera takes it appears to have the blend of design/materials/tactile feel that presses a lot of want buttons however it performs. A bit like the first time you pick up a MacBook Air or a Leica.

Quite a well managed tease campaign, nobody has leaked the full specs with or without approval.

AreBee

Nick,

You won't be seeing an x-pan on the 22nd. In the future who knows, but I think it extremely unlikely.

Why?... it's not as if anyone if making chips in this format, it's just too niche a market.
That could be viewed as an opportunity to corner the market.

AreBee

Nick,

A 617 aspect sensor could be 18% wider than the 43mm x 33mm sensor in the X1D and still remain within the lens image circle because it's reduced height would enable it to 'reach' farther in width.

Cropping a 617 panorama from the X1D, 51.3MP sensor will return a 24.3MP image, whereas a 617 aspect sensor would return 33.6MP, which represents an increase in resolution of 39%

With this in mind I am sure you will agree that the business case for manufacture by Hasselblad of a 617 aspect sensor is incontrovertible, and that it is a moral imperative that you raise this with Hasselblad CEO Perry Oosting as a matter of urgency.

iiiNelson

Nick,

A 617 aspect sensor could be 18% wider than the 43mm x 33mm sensor in the X1D and still remain within the lens image circle because it's reduced height would enable it to 'reach' farther in width.

Cropping a 617 panorama from the X1D, 51.3MP sensor will return a 24.3MP image, whereas a 617 aspect sensor would return 33.6MP, which represents an increase in resolution of 39%

With this in mind I am sure you will agree that the business case for manufacture by Hasselblad of a 617 aspect sensor is incontrovertible, and that it is a moral imperative that you raise this with Hasselblad CEO Perry Oosting as a matter of urgency.
I personally think many would argue the logic of a limited interest sensor size for minimal printing resolution gains (although I'd like to see a panoramic sensor or "multi format" sensor like the Panasonic GH2 had at some point).

bensonga

I personally think many would argue the logic of a limited interest sensor size for minimal printing resolution gains (although I'd like to see a panoramic sensor or "multi format" sensor like the Panasonic GH2 had at some point).
Interesting....I had never heard of a multi-aspect sensor, let alone that the Panasonic GH2 had one. I think I still have my GH2 stashed away in a closet somewhere. I'll have to read up on this now. Thanks for the observation!

Gary

iiiNelson

Interesting....I had never heard of a multi-aspect sensor, let alone that the Panasonic GH2 had one. I think I still have my GH2 stashed away in a closet somewhere. I'll have to read up on this now. Thanks for the observation!

Gary
The GH sensors used oversized sensors to be able to output images at the same resolution no matter the aspect ratio chosen.

AreBee

HiredArm,

I personally think many would argue the logic of a limited interest sensor size for minimal printing resolution gains...
No doubt. However:

1. Hasselblad was first to announce "the world’s first 50MP medium format CMOS sensor camera" (even if Phase One actually shipped units first). Likewise, Hasselblad is first to announce the world's first mirrorless MFD camera. It would be one more feather in its cap to announce the world's first panoramic sensor camera;

2. Release a digital panoramic camera (not a scanning back like the Seitz 617) and you would corner the market, regardless of size;

3. Display stunning panoramic prints at product release and whet the appetite/raise awareness of the format to others;

4. Make a statement camera just because you can, and in so doing increase brand equity -- it's not always about money...well, not directly.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
In truth,

If you cannot take a panorama with multiple exposures that does not smoke a 617 ...

Take up golf.

Sensors are so good ... exposure is almost a guarantee ... and software these days is amazing.

My take is no manufacturer will underwrite the expense and risk when the solution has been addressed.

And yes ... all of us want to return to our youth and the cameras that men took into the wilderness.

Reality check ... if they make it 99% of folks will go the cheap route.

JMHO

Need to check the grill....

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Bob, You make it sound golf is easy? :confused:
No idea ... Chasing a small ball around a beautiful park full of sand and rough never appealed to me.

But honestly to do photography is not easy if you approach it as most of us do here.

My thought was that if you cannot stretch to do a panorama ... you should really challenge yourself.

Way above my skill level ... I will stick to the cello.

Bob