Site Sponsors
Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by dickb View Post
    Based on the dimensions given and images of the side view of the camera, with the sensor plane marking, I measure a registry distance of 18.5mm. Give or take a mm or 2, to allow for errors caused by perspective and/or my inaccuracy.

Aaaaargh - even worse. Could you imagine what a nice Device that would have been with an FPS on a Bellows like a Balpro TS with e.g. Mamiya RZ Lenses ?
    Or on an Actus, X2 whatever ? Perfect..........not.

Grmpf
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

not sure it was posted already, there was a nice interview with Ove Bengtson (Hasselblad PM for X1D) on dpreview.com yesterday with some more background information, see
    http://www.dpreview.com/interviews/7...r-ove-bengtson

Best Regards,
    Ralf

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Aaaaargh - even worse. Could you imagine what a nice Device that would have been with an FPS on a Bellows like a Balpro TS with e.g. Mamiya RZ Lenses ?
    Or on an Actus, X2 whatever ? Perfect..........not.

Grmpf
    Leaves room for improvement or a great chance for another brand to step in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    There is no chance of adapting the X pan lenses for any practical use for these reasons:

1. There is no built in shutter in them that can be operated by the camera.

2. Even on film, the 30 and 45mm lenses need a central filter to minimize the vignetting. On a digital sensor, that too a large one, there is no prayer.
    From what I read, a centre filter was needed for the 30mm and to a lesser extent the 45mm, at larger apertures and in the panoramic mode. In that mode the image size is 65mm wide, considerably wider than the 44mm of the XD1. So there may be a prayer still on that front. The lack of shutter remains the major problem of this camera for those who want to adapt lenses other than the officially approved ones..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I have no interest whatever in adapting lenses to the X1D, just like I never had any interest at all in adapting lenses to the 500CM. I only adapt Leica lenses to the SL—because Leica supports them with lens profiles and mount adapters.

I've experimented with adapted lenses on various cameras for years. Very few actually pass muster for me, the native lenses have nearly always outperformed any adaptation in one way or another. So I've given up the adaptation hobby.

I can see adapting lenses for specific purposes where it makes sense, like a perspective control mount or whatever. But it doesn't make sense with the X1D because of the lack of in-camera shutter. It is what it is: judge it on its merits, not what it "might have been".

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 28th June 2016 at 10:06.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I may have made a slight mistake in previous calculation of the registry distance of the X1D. I assumed the height dimension of 98mm was including the EVF bump. I than read this:

Hasselblad X1D dimensions: 150x98x71 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

So that may not be a correct assumption of mine. If the 98mm doesn't include the EVF, the registry distance is 20mm instead of 18.5mm. Not a big difference, but it may be relevant to someone.

For those who think adapting lenses to this camera isn't an interesting idea, feel free to ignore this post..
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The more I think about the X1D, the more I wonder if my days of messing around with big, heavy MF-DSLRs, copal shutters, one-shot releases and LCCs are over. I’d like to see the price pitched a bit lower, but it’s difficult to be too peeved when the cost of the X1D-50c + all 3 lenses is less than that of a used IQ150 (which makes the pricing of those IQ backs looks soooo stale).
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    The more I think about the X1D, the more I wonder if my days of messing around with big, heavy MF-DSLRs, copal shutters, one-shot releases and LCCs are over. I’d like to see the price pitched a bit lower, but it’s difficult to be too peeved when the cost of the X1D-50c + all 3 lenses is less than that of a used IQ150 (which makes the pricing of those IQ backs looks soooo stale).
    One thing that the marketing got right is that- pricing in comparison to...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Personally, I have no interest whatever in adapting lenses to the X1D, just like I never had any interest at L in adapting lenses to the 500CM. I only adapt Leica lenses to the SL—because Leica supports them with lens profiles and mount adapters.

I've experimented with adapted lenses on various cameras for years. Very few actually pass muster for me, the native lenses have nearly always outperformed any adaptation in one way or another. So I've given up the adaptation hobby.

I can see adapting lenses for specific purposes where it makes sense, like a perspective control mount or whatever. But it doesn't make sense with the X1D because of the lack of in-camera shutter. It is what it is: judge it on its merits, not what it "might have been".

G
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Although I would adapt some H glass until we get more native X1D lenses
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One can not ignore how generous Sony have been in making their E mount open and accessible to anyone and everyone.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One can not ignore how generous Sony have been in making their E mount open and accessible to anyone and everyone.
    Yes the Sony system opens a ton of doors to 3rd party. That cannot be overlooked
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One could consider it generous, but one could also consider it self serving and driven by the lack of Sony lens options for so long a time.

Leica doesn't have this problem, as they have a ready assortment of perfectly appropriate M and R lenses in the hands of potential customers and on the market to adapt to the SL with dedicated adapter and profile optimizations. Same for Hasselblad, given the mount adapter for H lenses that will ship with the X1D and nets a system of 14 available lenses. Given these existing ecologies of supporting equipment, there is little real motivation for philanthropy.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say it´s about the Mindset. Take a look at the Leica S. They make very good lenses. BUT - they allow their users to do their own choices and open up this system
    to Hasselblad V, H, Contax 645, Mamiya 645, Pentax 67.
    They offer these adapters by themselves, so they make sure the quality does match the system requirements.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photograp...ical-Equipment

As much as I know Leica is growing and very healthy. They cannot even build the stuff fast enough, many people have to wait for their ordered gear.

Now what does this tell us ?
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Given these existing ecologies of supporting equipment, there is little real motivation for philanthropy.

G
    It is actually a great move on Hassy' part. They ought serve their own interest first before anyone else's. I have no problems with that.

However, the limitations also do not entice me to buy the X1D.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say it´s about the Mindset. Take a look at the Leica S. They make very good lenses. BUT - they allow their users to do their own choices and open up this system
    They offer these adapters by themselves, so they make sure the quality does match the system requirements.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photograp...ical-Equipment

As much as I know Leica is growing and very healthy. They cannot even build the stuff fast enough, many people have to wait for their ordered gear.

I suspect it tells us what common sense leads to: When the Leica S system was introduced, it was a new product line for Leica and had a very limited range of available lenses. The prospective buyers were quite likely to have Hasselblad V, H, Contax 645, Mamiya 645, and Pentax 67 equipment (especially lenses) AND be looking for a digital solution MF (remember Hassy H wasn't digital at first), so the "opportunity for philanthropy" presented itself in the best interest of Leica. They could offer these adapters because the S was designed with a focal plane shutter, which has been Leica's norm since the early 1900s, and so was not limited to lenses that carried compatible shutter systems.

Now that Leica S has 10 lenses in production, the availability of these adapters is no longer so critical but as long as the adapters sell and return profit through their own sales and the sales of S bodies, there's no motivation to discontinuing them.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It is actually a great move on Hassy' part. They ought serve their own interest first before anyone else's. I have no problems with that.

However, the limitations also do not entice me to buy the X1D.
    That may be true, but one body sale will not make or break the success of the X1D as a product. From what I understand, pre-release orders are running well ahead of expectations.

Similarly for me, I'm unlikely to order an X1D at present both for lack of cash to do so and for lack of the lens that makes it most appealing to me ... Namely an ultra wide in the 22mm range. (The 30mm upcoming at Photokina will be nice I'm sure, but for what I want out of this sort of camera, I will not be buying until an 18 to 23 mm focal length surfaces.)

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 28th June 2016 at 11:21.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One could consider it generous, but one could also consider it self serving and driven by the lack of Sony lens options for so long a time.

Leica doesn't have this problem, as they have a ready assortment of perfectly appropriate M and R lenses in the hands of potential customers and on the market to adapt to the SL with dedicated adapter and profile optimizations. Same for Hasselblad, given the mount adapter for H lenses that will ship with the X1D and nets a system of 14 available lenses. Given these existing ecologies of supporting equipment, there is little real motivation for philanthropy.

G
    By that logic of counting Leica M & R lenses as "native" (of convenience I might add) the Sony system isn't paltry (and hasn't been for years) if you count A-mount and Minolta lenses.

Let's be honest about it all. Yes the Sony FE cameras only launched with three lenses with longer and faster zooms coming a few months later but Leica only had "perfectly appropriate" R lenses on the second hand market due to abandoning the system years ago. People got tired of awaiting the "R-solution" and decided to off load R lenses, convert them, or some adapted them to mirrorless bodies.

The SL is a very good camera (few will deny that as attributed to the images in the Fun with thread...) and one that would've kept me as a Leica customer possibly. If we are talking about native use without adapters then yes the FE mount was limiting (and still is for some) for certain types of photography. The SL is far more limited in the number of native options available although the focal ranges covered with the two available lenses are greater than what was available in the FE mount until recently when the 70-300 was released.

Not to make it a brand war (because there's far too much negativity surrounding this camera to begin with) but this is a MF thread on the Hasselblad X1D and the potential merits of it. You've repeatedly stated that you have limited interest in the camera (and how great the Leica SL is compared to everything else in 35mm format, how terrible adapting lenses can be, etc.) so I think it's fair to say... Everyone gets it... You love your Leica and have limited interests in the Hasselblad X1D.

I'm not a moderator or the thread police but you seem to have an odd habit of repeating yourself and continuing to follow threads after you state that it doesn't interest you in multiple threads. Now I think more often than not I tend to enjoy and value your perspectives, your images, and input... Even when I don't agree with them. I just don't understand why anyone would constantly follow or comment on things that don't interest them.

In other news the Regional Manager for Hasselblad reached out and told me they're attempting to plan a Hasselblad X1D Event in my area in the late-July to mid-August timeframe.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tre. Well put.
    May I come back to the X1D, having never owned a larger than FF camera.
    For what kind of photography is the X1D supposedly exceptional and why?
    I read some of the glowing endorsements earlier in this thread but would appreciate a more technical explanation. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Technical Equipment // Leica S // Photography - Leica Camera AG

I believe Hasselblad made the right choice by using specially designed leaf shutter lenses and not incorporating a focal plane shutter. The potential for shutter vibration in a body as small and lightweight as the X1D was likely too great with a focal plane shutter. If Hasselblad had incorporated it so people could stick any old honker of a lens on the body and the image quality with those adapted lenses was impaired by shutter vibration, everyone here and elsewhere would have been screaming bloody murder. Does everyone forget the hue and cry about the Sony A7R? BTW, didn't the Mamiya 7 use leaf shutter lenses? How about the Fuji MF rangefinder cameras? Before jumping to conclusions about why Hasselblad did what it did, let's see what others offer and at what cost (price wise and in terms of other trade offs) and if it's so much better.
    It is also quite possible that the body would have to be much bigger and heavier to accommodate a focal plane shutter and to (try to) properly dampen it. Is that trade off most people want? I don't.
    Last edited by hcubell; 28th June 2016 at 11:26.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Thanks Tre. Well put.
    I read some of the glowing endorsements earlier in this thread but would appreciate a more technical explanation. TIA.
    That's sort of my thinking... I haven't owned a camera larger than 35mm although I've used a few before that were. I think I could get along with the XCD 30/45/90 (corresponds to 24/35/75-ish primes in 35mm terms) for daily or near daily use to keep in my work satchel as a walk around camera. Many days I have my A7RII with a Batis 25/85 in the bag.

It's a lot of money to stomach for me right now but in time and as firmware improves I could see myself with one.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

HiredArm,

If you wish to interrupt perfectly reasonable discussion with ad hominem remarks, fine. But you are now on my ignored list. I'm sure this disturbs you intensely.

Bye.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Some ideas:

Format size affects the ability to control focus zone. Larger formats enable you to obtain shallower DoF for when that is appropriate, smaller formats allow you to obtain deeper DoF.

Larger format, higher Mpixel sensors also generally*enable more gradations in the subject to be captured, so when you are looking for greater subject detailing and tonal texture they are an advantage.

For my expressed interest in the X1D (ultra-wide photography with a short focal length lens), the added depth of field control, high resolution, and ability to capture more tonal gradations are important and what I would look to the X1D to provide beyond my current solution. The look of images made with medium format film, just like larger format sensor digital cameras, has nuances that are not easily reproduced with smaller formats despite how good many of today's cameras have become.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Although I would adapt some H glass until we get more native X1D lenses

Hasselblad, if you are still following this thread can you please provide us with a roadmap of lenses you expect for say the next three years? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

G
    You left off the S and that was very limited out of the gate and took some time to get a adapter.

Anyway let's try and stay on topic with the X1D everyone

Post Thanks / Like

Larger formats enable you to obtain shallower DoF for when that is appropriate, smaller formats allow you to obtain deeper DoF.
    In practice, however, the format which allows better control of DoF is 24x36 because of the availability of very fast lenses. I am just posting that correction, because it is a common misconception that MF has thinner depth of field. It does not have lenses fast enough for that.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It makes me think that the whole full frame mirrorless sony thing is a bit of a waste now- its not saving any size over ff 35mm optical viewfinder cameras- which I understood was part of the draw initially- those small bodies? But a ff 24-70 f2.8 is a pineapple regardless so the size argument for Sony kind of goes out the window-

In the same size package you could have the Hassy albeit with primes only but for my money, if I had to go mirrorless, I'd rather the larger chip.

Taking the optical vf out of medium format changes a lot. Taking the optical out of 35mm ff sort of changes nothing.

Still have my heart set on maybe Fuji taking their hybrid rangefinder EVF design and plonking a 50mp mf chip in the back. That is the real Mamiya 7 back from the grave.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You left off the S and that was very limited out of the gate and took some time to get a adapter.

Anyway let's try and stay on topic with the X1D everyone
    Indeed, the S came up a little later in the discussion, see my response to Stefan Steib. Leica is always slow on such stuff—they just announced their S adapter for the SL, and haven't announced the R adapter yet. But that's neither here nor there.

The X1D is very very interesting to me. It's the first MF digital camera that is sized in the ballpark of what I want to carry and use. I'm not interested in buying with the current lens selection, an ultra-wide lens will drive me there, but that doesn't mean I don't want to understand*and discuss it like anyone else does. ;-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    In practice, however, the format which allows better control of DoF is 24x36 because of the availability of very fast lenses. I am just posting that correction, because it is a common misconception that MF has thinner depth of field. It does not have lenses fast enough for that.
    It's interesting: In ye olde days when a medium format camera had at fastest an f/4.5 lens and a 35mm camera had an f/2.8 or f/2 lens with similar field of view, the complaint most often heard was that the MF camera could not get enough DoF without going to exposure times that were obnoxiously long and unsuitable for many uses. Ah modern times ... :-)

The MF sensor formats are smaller than the MF film formats so the differences are less. And, indeed, common availability of ultra-fast lenses for 35mm format has changed the game somewhat too. But there is still a difference: the coupling between FoV and DoF varies with format size, even if the differences are more subtle than they used to be, and it's those differences along with the gradation nuances of the larger sensor that generally push photographers to the larger formats.

There has been a lot of talk in recent years that the 24, then 36, now 50 Mpixel 35FF cameras have obviated and eroded the MF camera's reason for being. But it's obvious from the amount of interest that the X1D has generated that this isn't really so. It seems to me that the bulk and price of MF Digital, until this camera, were simply out of reach for many. Now that something is becoming available*at a more approachable price/size point, there's a heck of a lot of interest.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    In other news the Regional Manager for Hasselblad reached out and told me they're attempting to plan a Hasselblad X1D Event in my area in the late-July to mid-August timeframe.
    I received a similar message stating that:

We are scheduling Preview events throughout the country; it’s my hope that an event will be scheduled for the Triad Area (North Carolina) in late July or early August. Currently, the cameras in use are pre-production models, hopefully, by the time of our event, we’ll be much closer to a product for release. In the interim, feel-free to contact me and do expect an event announcement soon.
    Hope to see you there.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My guess now is about a stop difference between the two DOF wise . It's a increase of 1.7 in sensor size so not as much as with the FF backs.

As I said in all the workshops I taught I think many folks would have loved to have this instead of the full system back than. Really this a Domke bag system not so much a backpack. BTW I leased a back one and was not a bad idea at the time. It's crossing my mind as I can keep most of my Sony gear. I would lease the body buy the glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Check this out from Fotofunding on a lease

On 10k

First line dollar buy out

View Quote
    Create PDF Quote Letter Display Web Printable Quote Letter Premium Financing Program

Submit an application by clicking the Process an Application by the payment amount.
    Purchase Options 24 Months 36 Months 48 Months 60 Months
    $1.00
    $500.00 Apply Now
    $350.00 Apply Now
    $270.00 Apply Now
    $225.00 Apply Now
    FMV
    $470.00 Apply Now
    $325.00 Apply Now
    $255.00 Apply Now
    $213.00 Apply Now
    Definitions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So dollar buy out 48 months is 270 per month. That's not bad

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Long time to keep a camera ... and is there a mileage limit?

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I've skimmed though a lot of the posts, but have certainly not read them all. I went to a preview event today and got to shoot with one. First impression was great. The size, weight, handling all felt like a very compact, but solid camera. When you take the lens off, the body looks like it's ALL sensor. It's pretty amazing to see that they took what was the size of a digital back and fit it into the small body that they did. The AF seemed to be very accurate and the MF has a very nice long throw. The image kind of popped into focus, I'm not sure of the tracking capabilities. I didn't mess with any of the AF settings. The lenses were well sized and balanced. The HC adapter will allow use of the other lenses, but will add a lot of space between the mount and the lens. So it won't balance as well. It was pre-production firmware, etc. so we couldn't shoot to our own card.The EVF looked good, though not quite as good as the SL's. But I am very impressed so far and they are still working on adding a lot of functionality to the camera before release. If you are thinking about getting the camera, I'd highly encouraged you to find one of their demo days as they travel around the country with it. Hope this helps.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Long time to keep a camera ... and is there a mileage limit?

Bob
    Who is taking bets?
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

So are you back in the fold, Guy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure . More money than I like to spend but will see after Photokinia. I want to know what's coming if anything first.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How do you control remote shutter release with the X1D? There seems to be no mention about this other than via tethering.

Did anyone ask at the show & tell?
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say that I am reconsidering the move ... two unknown lenses that may be technically wonderful but soul-less.

As I look at all of the responses I am conflicted ... could Hasselblad not find a Jono who could distill the essence of this body,
    sensor and lenses so that the rest of us could imagine how we could leverage it. All sorts of comparisons which may be correct
    or not. No telling until the final firmware and actual camera is in hand.

I desperately want this to be a good choice but as I look at the images from my Leica S with the 100 and 45 I am convinced that
    this will not improve my pictures nor re-define my vision.

So I may sit this one out ....

Tired of throwing a bunch of cash at an unknown ...

Sort of like watching the confetti fly at the parade ....

Great sensor ... good start on a system ... but two lenses do not make a system.

JMHO

and I have been learning humility the hard way over the past couple of years.

Regards,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The elephant in the room ( for me) is the 50 megapixel chip - hand holding 50 megapixels when using strobe shooting at up to 1/2000th is fine - but hand holding in available light? I am always looking for something to put my Alpa on when shooting in available light - the light lenses and heavy camera combination kinda works more often than not - and copal lens vibration induced fuzziness is not a problem - except for each lens nasty vibration point usually around 1/15th..this camera (like all) will best be used on a tripod or monopod for best results - so I am asking myself will the small size of the camera allow for better hand hold ability than my digiback combination and will I be likely to use a monopod as part of my walk around kit to get the most out of the chip?I am feeling that the answer to both is yes.

FPS on a body like this as others have stated might have been a bridge too far- in my experience- a properly executed leaf shuttered lens is a better all round bet with less potential for vibration induced issues ...wehat a pity I have a lot of legacy MF glass of high quality which requires FPS...oh well

So megapixel count tick/Size tick/Price tick/ - all that remains is some info on lens quality and IQ - going by MTF charts - the two release lenses look fine for a MF chip/tick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    How do you control remote shutter release with the X1D? There seems to be no mention about this other than via tethering.

I imagine you can remote trigger via wifi and the Phocus mobile (iOS, not sure about android) app. I think you can even focus with the app on the H5D-50c and up by tapping on the screen where you want to focus. One forum user posted a video on YouTube awhile back with the H5D-50c wifi (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TebqC9ZdKJg) but I could be wrong about functionality and features, esp re: the X1D. I hope we see this functionality on the X1D. Hopefully they have a more traditional cable remote release planned as well (maybe via USB?).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to say that I am reconsidering the move ... two unknown lenses that may be technically wonderful but soul-less.

As I look at all of the responses I am conflicted ... could Hasselblad not find a Jono who could distill the essence of this body,
    sensor and lenses so that the rest of us could imagine how we could leverage it. All sorts of comparisons which may be correct

I desperately want this to be a good choice but as I look at the images from my Leica S with the 100 and 45 I am convinced that

Great sensor ... good start on a system ... but two lenses do not make a system.

JMHO

Regards,

Bob
    I'm tiring hard to get one to test.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have the S 007, I would agree that it won't change much for you. If you have a CCD S(006, etc.), then I think it would, if you needed the higher ISO's/live view, etc. I've got he Hx4/IQ140 and the S 006 as a more compact body with the H adapter for my lenses. After playing with it today, I would probably switch the Leica S 006 system for the H X1D, to have a compact system and gain the higher ISO/CMOS advantage and keep the other CCD system. If I already had an 007, I would probably just keep it and wait on this for a little while. Also, in terms of lens character, it seems to have it at a quick glance, and what I was referring to with the long throw of the manual focus. I was MF'ing using the video function and the bokeh looked pretty buttery on the huge camera display. I really hope they can beef up the video specs before release. I know it's built as a still camera, with video kind of thrown in, but if they can up the video quality, this would be ideal for me. I know they are somewhat limited by what the sensor can read out, but I'm hoping they can get the max out of it.

Cheers,
    Josh

JMHO

Regards,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I'm tiring hard to get one to test.
    Love to see the results!

And if you cannot score one something is awry in Mudville ....

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

I would assume that they will sell a remote cable release at some point. In the meantime, I recall that someone said that your iphone could be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I would assume that they will sell a remote cable release at some point. In the meantime, I recall that someone said that your iphone could be used.
    What does the H6d use

Post Thanks / Like

What does the H6d use
    A very poorly made remote cable release. It is quite prone to fall apart. Strange that the other components in the H system are generally well made and robust, but the remote release is not. I am afraid to add up how many of these cable releases I have either lost or that have fallen apart over the last 10 years. With my Sony A7RII, I have generally used the self timer instead. I assume the X1D will have a self timer as well.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    A very poorly made remote cable release.
    I saw that there was the wifi option but TBH that's a liability in the field. Likewise I actually use the timer delay on my XF and the X1D does have that too but it's not ideal (although better than wifi). I did check the accessories listed for the X1D and there wasn't a remote listed yet. If it's any consolation the remotes for Mamiya / Phase One bodies were similar to the Hassy by the sounds of it since I've also had several fall apart over the years too.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well you might be able to use the USB port

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the pictures available and the X1D does not appear to have a plug for a remote cable. I can only see: USB, HDMI, headphones and microphone, all behind the bottom left flap.

Technically, it should be possible to use the mic input plug for a remote, maybe that function is planned.

The H6D (and H1... H5 cameras) use a remote with a 2.5mm jack plug. It is compatible with the wiring of Canon remotes for their low end SLRs, for which 5$ Chinese copies are available. I use one of these myself and it works perfectly.

I'll try to link to the relevant image from dpreview: