Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad X1D

I see a couple things I did not see before. Standard stuff eye piece adjustment on top. I see the EVF cut off / on sensor in the eye cup. Sensor plane mark, mic. Looks like plastic caps over plugs and sad slots for moisture protection.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    if Leica had introduced it with an f/2 class 35 or 50mm lens as an option beyond the SL24-90. Many more people would be interested in the SL
    Exactly my point of view, with a 35 or 50 mm Summilux I could sell my M240 at once
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

For those that know and have used it, I've read here that the A7R (not MKII) had only contrast detection for focus. Is this true? If so, how did it perform? Could we expect that – forgetting for a moment that the bluk of the new X lenses might reduce speed – the X1D's focusing could theoretically be in the same league of speed and / or accuracy? If this is the case, I can see a strong rationale here for H keeping the lenses small with modest max aperture in order to speed things up and keep bulk down (not to mention improve the ballance of the camera.) Either way, I have no problem with f3.5 / f4 lenses, but would prefer a 30mm and 60mm as a simple two lens setup.

This system is looking better and better for me. Looking forward to further H announcements at Photokina.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In an attempt to answer my own question, I read this on DPReview about the A7R.

"AF System & Performance

Unlike the a7, which has a 'hybrid' autofocus system, the a7R sticks with a more conventional contrast detect setup... from our experiences, its focusing performance is on-par with DSLRs in good light, and a bit slower than the best mirrorless models.

In low light, however, the camera can struggle to focus - unless you are mindful to set the AF point over a contrasty area. If you do so, we've been very pleased by the camera's autofocus accuracy in shot after shot."

LINK TO REVIEW PAGE

It seems I might be more pleased with the X1D AF performance than I first though when reading through peoples initial impressions of the specs. If Hasselblad can develop the firmware to improve the initial demo units performance, then it seems I'll most probably be happy. As long as it's not too slow and is accurate, that is.

So, besides general AF performance, these are the things I'm interested in knowing, in no particular order.

1: Startup time.
    2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)
    3: If there is a 60mm lens planned for release.
    4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something.
    5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?
    6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses?
    7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?)
    8: Can I have one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    For those that know and have used it, I've read here that the A7R (not MKII) had only contrast detection for focus. Is this true? If so, how did it perform?
    cdaf like in the a7r shows its limitation already in studio situations with modeling lights. in my case 650 w halogen bulbs are not enough to focus fast and properly even with fast lenses. i can´t see hasselblad being better than sony. the more i learn about this camera the more i think this is not the camera for me but i will wait and test for myself if af speed and accuracy is acceptable with the hc lenses i already own but my ecxpectations are not that high.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

"AF System & Performance

Unlike the a7, which has a 'hybrid' autofocus system, the a7R sticks with a more conventional contrast detect setup... from our experiences, its focusing performance is on-par with DSLRs in good light, and a bit slower than the best mirrorless models.

In low light, however, the camera can struggle to focus - unless you are mindful to set the AF point over a contrasty area. If you do so, we've been very pleased by the camera's autofocus accuracy in shot after shot."

LINK TO REVIEW PAGE

It seems I might be more pleased with the X1D AF performance than I first though when reading through peoples initial impressions of the specs. If Hasselblad can develop the firmware to improve the initial demo units performance, then it seems I'll most probably be happy. As long as it's not too slow and is accurate, that is.

So, besides general AF performance, these are the things I'm interested in knowing, in no particular order.

1: Startup time.
    2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)
    4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something.
    5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?
    6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses?
    7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?)
    My experiences with the A7R is similar. In good light it's generally accurate with the occasion misfocus. In low light it can hunt but with the zoom capability it's usually easy enough to manually focus quickly when needed in my experience.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Folks, a general question for Hassy users.

I am intrigued by this camera, though not excited enough to dump my Pentax right away. Not sure I would be able to get it before my trip to Italy in September anyway. Still, it's always good to speculate - anticipation is half the fun!

My question is about legacy H glass, since we know very little about the new releases with this body.

My experience with the MF lenses is limited to Phase/Schneider and Pentax. I also consider Leica M glass to be in the same league and now the Batis/GM offerings from Sony/Zeiss. While Canon L lenses are well suited to the bodies they are mated with, I find the Sony/Pentax to be superior.

Where does H glass fit in, in terms of sharpness, 'drawing', contrast and color?

My order of quality for lenses shorter than 70mm has been:

Leica M summilux 50 ASPH
    Batis 25
    Sony 55 1.8 (technically almost perfect but lifeless)
    Phase/SK 45 2.8
    Pentax 55 2.8

Just got the GM 24-70 by Sony, not tried it out much yet. I've owned and used many other lenses but these are the ones that stand out for me.

So how does the H glass compare? I know this may be OT for this thread, but the main attraction for me is the landscape ability of this new system.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Folks, a general question for Hassy users.

I am intrigued by this camera, though not excited enough to dump my Pentax right away. Not sure I would be able to get it before my trip to Italy in September anyway. Still, it's always good to speculate - anticipation is half the fun!

My question is about legacy H glass, since we know very little about the new releases with this body.

My experience with the MF lenses is limited to Phase/Schneider and Pentax. I also consider Leica M glass to be in the same league and now the Batis/GM offerings from Sony/Zeiss. While Canon L lenses are well suited to the bodies they are mated with, I find the Sony/Pentax to be superior.

Where does H glass fit in, in terms of sharpness, 'drawing', contrast and color?

My order of quality for lenses shorter than 70mm has been:

Leica M summilux 50 ASPH
    Batis 25
    Sony 55 1.8 (technically almost perfect but lifeless)
    Phase/SK 45 2.8
    Pentax 55 2.8

Just got the GM 24-70 by Sony, not tried it out much yet. I've owned and used many other lenses but these are the ones that stand out for me.

So how does the H glass compare? I know this may be OT for this thread, but the main attraction for me is the landscape ability of this new system.
    I have used a full range of Hasselblad H series lenses for over 10 years. With the exception of the 35mm lens, which was soft in the corners and I sold it, I have found the HC lenses to be excellent optically across the board. The 80, the 100, the 150N, the 210 and the 300 are excellent. The 50II is exceptional. I am not a wide angle lens guy, so I am not familiar with the 24 and the 28. I prefer longer lenses for my style of landscape work.
    The X1D will start out with a 45mm and a 90mm, with a 30mm to follow. I am confident that Hasselblad knows what it is doing in designing these lenses, and they will also be excellent. They would cover my needs up to 90mm. As for adapting the 150N and the 210, I am concerned about the weight of those lenses on the X1D lens mount. Hasselblad has not commented on that issue, AFAIK.
    I don't use my H1/IQ180 to photograph people, so things like "drawing power" and bokeh aren't an issue for me, but there are many Hasselblad shooters who do use them to photograph people and are apparently happy. For many years, the H1 and and HC lenses have been the de facto standard in rental houses.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

The interesting reality with mirrorless medium format is that there appears to be only one game in town for the sensor, the 50mp Sony sensor. What could a Fuji or Sony really do that would be "better" than the X1D? Phase One at least could offer the ability to use Capture One, but Phase One may not want in on a camera at such a lower price point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well there is only one sensor to work with. So unless something fresh comes out this is the base sensor regardless of OEM
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    The interesting reality with mirrorless medium format is that there appears to be only one game in town for the sensor, the 50mp Sony sensor. What could a Fuji or Sony really do that would be "better" than the X1D? Phase One at least could offer the ability to use Capture One, but Phase One may not want in on a camera at such a lower price point.
    I'm sure there not happy seeing the interest in the X1D. I'm sure there also worried about watching the market fill with used Phase gear which will kill new sales. Than again it's Photokinia year and maybe there ahead of this and just waiting to announce. The writing has been on the wall there is a tech change coming and it's mirror less. You have to be half dead not to notice Sony success here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The minute I saw this new Hassy camera I knew the direction of my photography was going to change for good. I've shot many cameras and formats most of my life, including the Hassy 503 film camera system and wonderful lenses and for the last 11 years my Hassy H2 system with 4 different Phase One backs. I will eventually be getting the X1D and using my H lenses....80 and 100 and probably the new 45mm lens for this camera. No more big, bulky, heavy camera systems....only this Mirrorless Hassy and my Sony . My Hasselblad lenses over the years ...both film and digital have been unbeatable. My only regret is not being able to use C1 with Hasselblad RAW.... Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm sure there not happy seeing the interest in the X1D. I'm sure there also worried about watching the market fill with used Phase gear which will kill new sales. Than again it's Photokinia year and maybe there ahead of this and just waiting to announce. The writing has been on the wall there is a tech change coming and it's mirror less. You have to be half dead not to notice Sony success here
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The X1D is the medium format digital game changer. I'm as sure as can be that other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    The minute I saw this new Hassy camera I knew the direction of my photography was going to change for good. I've shot many cameras and formats most of my life, including the Hassy 503 film camera system and wonderful lenses and for the last 11 years my Hassy H2 system with 4 different Phase One backs. I will eventually be getting the X1D and using my H lenses....80 and 100 and probably the new 45mm lens for this camera. No more big, bulky, heavy camera systems....only this Mirrorless Hassy and my Sony . My Hasselblad lenses over the years ...both film and digital have been unbeatable. My only regret is not being able to use C1 with Hasselblad RAW.... Eleanor
    Sounds intriguing.
    Why don't you give Iridient a try?
    I think it's a great converter.
    They also seem to be among the first to support a new camera.
    Iridient is also very easy to learn IMHO.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree...but I already have H lenses and have used both film and digital Hassy systems and have a lot of confidence in the company. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    The X1D is the medium format digital game changer. I'm as sure as can be that other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree...but I already have H lenses and have used both film and digital Hassy systems and have a lot of confidence in the company. Eleanor
    Moi aussi
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a full range of Hasselblad H series lenses for over 10 years. With the exception of the 35mm lens, which was soft in the corners and I sold it, I have found the HC lenses to be excellent optically across the board. The 80, the 100, the 150N, the 210 and the 300 are excellent. The 50II is exceptional. I am not a wide angle lens guy, so I am not familiar with the 24 and the 28. I prefer longer lenses for my style of landscape work.
    The X1D will start out with a 45mm and a 90mm, with a 30mm to follow. I am confident that Hasselblad knows what it is doing in designing these lenses, and they will also be excellent. They would cover my needs up to 90mm. As for adapting the 150N and the 210, I am concerned about the weight of those lenses on the X1D lens mount. Hasselblad has not commented on that issue, AFAIK.
    I don't use my H1/IQ180 to photograph people, so things like "drawing power" and bokeh aren't an issue for me, but there are many Hasselblad shooters who do use them to photograph people and are apparently happy. For many years, the H1 and and HC lenses have been the de facto standard in rental houses.

Thanks, I am not surprised that H1 and HC lenses are so well reputed, that was my impression too.

I don't do people either and my only interest in the X1D is for landscape photography since it is even less suitable for wildlife than the Pentax (which I have used with some success in Africa).

I really like the idea of MF but the Phase IQ180 did not work for me. Pentax is so much more useful but still limited due to size/weight constraints and the lack of top notch glass - the newer ones are expensive and way too heavy again.

So, if the X1D holds its promise of quality in a small package (no reason why it shouldn't), then it would be a very interesting landscape camera for my needs. Since I don't have any experience with H glass, I appreciate your input on its quality. Even if the new lenses are not stellar, the older ones that are could still be used. Big lens/small body is better than big lens/big body.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

I guess for someone in your position you'll need to check to make sure your lenses can handle the firmware updates to accomidate contrast detection AF with the X1D, as Hasselblad have said in their post announcement interviews. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

FUJIFILM Medium Format Camera “Definitely More Affordable” than Hasselblad X1D – Trusted Source

Now, I’m working on it, and I’ve already shared some specs about the Fujifilm Medium Format. 50MP, to be launched along with 3 lenses maybe to be presented to the world at Photokina and available in 2017.

I had a talk with a trusted source, who told me that the Medium Format Mirrorless Fujifilm will be “definitely more affordable” than the Hasselblad X1D.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can live with that even if it is not entirely "hand made" and is called XT1.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot of news there. The Sony 50mp sensor is reputed to cost $4,000 by itself, so if that's true, how much cheaper can Fuji sell the body? No doubt they can produce a camera more cheaply than Hasselblad, but if the body comes in at less than $7000 or so, I expect there will be significant trade offs. Maybe much bigger and heavier, maybe a lousy UI, maybe mediocre ergonomics, maybe too much shutter vibration. I look forward to seeing what Fuji comes up with.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not a lot of news there. The Sony 50mp sensor is reputed to cost $4,000 by itself, so if that's true, how much cheaper can Fuji sell the body?
    That $4,000 figure comes from Ming Thein. It is unsubstantiated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I believe everything I read on the internet.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously if they sold it for 4K they be stupid as hell. If Hassy is charging 9k they could charge as much as 8k and we would consider it s bargain. 6k and they would sell like crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

If they sell it for $6k, I would assume they are installing post earthquake sensors before new production started (starts) up.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously if they sold it for 4K they be stupid as hell. If Hassy is charging 9k they could charge as much as 8k and we would consider it s bargain. 6k and they would sell like crazy.
    8k and with a decent focal plane shutter, i would call it a bargain and would be seriously be interested in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot of news there. The Sony 50mp sensor is reputed to cost $4,000 by itself, so if that's true, how much cheaper can Fuji sell the body? No doubt they can produce a camera more cheaply than Hasselblad, but if the body comes in at less than $7000 or so, I expect there will be significant trade offs. Maybe much bigger and heavier, maybe a lousy UI, maybe mediocre ergonomics, maybe too much shutter vibration. I look forward to seeing what Fuji comes up with.
    I can't speak to the sensor cost @ 4K, however I do trust that if Fuji brings out their MF camera at Photokina, it will be well designed, especially if the UI, ergonomics, design, etc are created by the same team that has brought out the X-T1, T2, (soon) and X-Pro2.

I expect more "planted rumors" of the Fuji will start in late July, once the X-T2 is launched next week.

Hopefully Fuji will carry over some of their good design points:

1. Phase detect, and up to 276 focus points (this on really has my interest based on latest Hasselblad comments)
    2. Tilting/moving LCD
    3. UI based on the X-Pro2 which allows user to control playback and AF adjustment with one hand
    4. OIS on their lenses, or possible a BIS design, but some form of image stabilization
    5. Zoom lenses and prime lens design
    6. Focal shutter and electronic shutter
    7. Constraint of heat build up (done very well on the X-T1, not so well on the X-Pro2)
    8. Possible battery grip for longer use in the field
    9. Remove support via both wired, and WiFi

Price point is anyone's guess, but I personally will be very surprised if the camera comes in over 4.5K, (no lens)

And that still leaves the elephant in the room, Sony, as I have to believe they are working on a similar offering, and Sony does know mirrorless, and know it quite well indeed.

Paul C

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope a Fuji comes along, especially if it is a focal plane shutter camera. Then we all have choices based on our specific need.

The good news is that, while not cheap, even the Hasselbad is not stupidly priced compared to MFD of the past.

I think Hasselblad was wise to maintain their positioning, and would be even wiser to make sure the H adapter is available when the camera launches. The HC 50mm, 80mm and 100mm are not that big, and they are all faster than the planed lenses.

Exciting times.

- Marc

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I hope a Fuji comes along, especially if it is a focal plane shutter camera. Then we all have choices based on our specific need.

The good news is that, while not cheap, even the Hasselbad is not stupidly priced compared to MFD of the past.

I think Hasselblad was wise to maintain their positioning, and would be even wiser to make sure the H adapter is available when the camera launches. The HC 50mm, 80mm and 100mm are not that big, and they are all faster than the planed lenses.

Exciting times.

- Marc
    No sense as to what sensor Fuji will implement ... if it is a Sony and not one of their X-Trans spec'd sensors they will have admitted that their vision of the future is at best not consistent.

And if they introduce a larger X-Trans then the question becomes ... to how bad of a raw processing program do we have to submit ourselves?

Still having less than stellar output from the X-Pros and at the investment level of a MF sensor it had better be great. No half measures. No lossy compressed RAW.

Me ... I cannot fathom the sense of trust for manufacturers who have consistently dropped major items and expect their clients to be satisfied with half-baked solutions.

So the X1D looks pretty good ... considering the marginal history of both Sony and Fuji in their near history of product implementation.

Oh well .... back to the regularly scheduled program.

Bob
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this figure just mentoned here. Way too much to be credible.

Where would that put the Nikon 810 sensor? $1,500, $1,800?
    Not a surprise that Nikon is in trouble!

Post Thanks / Like

I am really excited about the Hasselblad X1D and am thinking about getting it since I have been interested in getting a medium format camera and do a lot of studio work and would love the flash sync speed up to 1/2000.

I know the final product and features aren’t finalized but I was wondering about the autofocus. I read that touch autofocus would be a feature and that the focus point will be able to be moved; however, I was wondering how the focus point will be moved when looking through the EVF. On my camera I have a multi selector (thumb controller) button. I do see that the X1D has fixed buttons and dials but it seems like it would be awkward to move the focus point when shooting with the EVF.

Does anybody know or have an educated guess about how Hasselblad will/could implement moving the focus point when shooting with the EVF?

Also, does anybody know if Hasselblad will have manual focus aids like focus peaking or magnify? I saw that Hasselblad responded to that question with "Autofocus metering via contrast detection with instant manual focus override" but did not directly answer the question.

Thanks!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    I was thinking about this figure just mentoned here. Way too much to be credible.

Where would that put the Nikon 810 sensor? $1,500, $1,800?
    Not a surprise that Nikon is in trouble!
    $250/36mp FF sensor. I have bought NEX-5N (aps-c 16mp) sensors for $50.

Post Thanks / Like

$4k is the old price before mass consumption!

Post Thanks / Like

Well we thought the Pentax 645Z was a good deal for high quality medium format but it was bulky and odd looking. This one will have good looks, small size and high image quality. It's almost a no brainer for me though I do quite like the Phase One XF / IQ180 / 40-80mm combo for shooting near the car. its heavy and as bulky as a large format film camera, even an 8x10

Post Thanks / Like

I'LL TRY TO ANSWER AS BEST I CAN REMEMBER.
    1: Startup time.- WAS SEVERAL SECONDS, BUT PRE-PRODUCTION AND WILL GET QUICKER BEFORE RELEASE
    2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)- DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY, DID SEE BLACK AFTER CAPTURE, BUT DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING DISTRACTINGLY LONG
    4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something. I'D ASSUME THERE WOULD BE SOME WAY TO DO THIS WITH ALL THE INPUT OPTIONS
    5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?- IT SEEMED THAT EVERYTHING THAT WAS VIEWABLE ON THE BACK, WOULD BE VIEWABLE IN THE EVF, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY.
    6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses? NO CLUE
    7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?) YES, YOU COULD ALREADY TURN ON A MAGNIFY PATCH AND IT ZOOMED IN 100%. I DIDN'T ASK IF THERE WERE OTHER ZOMM LEVEL OPTIONS
    8: Can I have one?[/QUOTE]
    $$$$
    Hope that helps

"AF System & Performance

LINK TO REVIEW PAGE

I'LL TRY TO ANSWER AS BEST I CAN REMEMBER.
    1: Startup time.- WAS SEVERAL SECONDS, BUT PRE-PRODUCTION AND WILL GET QUICKER BEFORE RELEASE
    2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)- DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY, DID SEE BLACK AFTER CAPTURE, BUT DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING DISTRACTINGLY LONG
    4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something. I'D ASSUME THERE WOULD BE SOME WAY TO DO THIS WITH ALL THE INPUT OPTIONS
    5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?- IT SEEMED THAT EVERYTHING THAT WAS VIEWABLE ON THE BACK, WOULD BE VIEWABLE IN THE EVF, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY.
    6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses? NO CLUE
    7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?) YES, YOU COULD ALREADY TURN ON A MAGNIFY PATCH AND IT ZOOMED IN 100%. I DIDN'T ASK IF THERE WERE OTHER ZOMM LEVEL OPTIONS
    $$$$
    Hope that helps

Post Thanks / Like

Dennis,
    I am 99% sure all the dials can be pushed in and used as buttons as well. And you can either use the touch screen or the dials to navigate the menus. Relocating the focus point may only be possible via the back screen though. I'm sure they could implement it via the dials, but it seems like it would be tricky to use, unless you only went left to right.

Quote Originally Posted by dennishuang View Post
    I am really excited about the Hasselblad X1D and am thinking about getting it since I have been interested in getting a medium format camera and do a lot of studio work and would love the flash sync speed up to 1/2000.

I know the final product and features aren’t finalized but I was wondering about the autofocus. I read that touch autofocus would be a feature and that the focus point will be able to be moved; however, I was wondering how the focus point will be moved when looking through the EVF. On my camera I have a multi selector (thumb controller) button. I do see that the X1D has fixed buttons and dials but it seems like it would be awkward to move the focus point when shooting with the EVF.

Does anybody know or have an educated guess about how Hasselblad will/could implement moving the focus point when shooting with the EVF?

Also, does anybody know if Hasselblad will have manual focus aids like focus peaking or magnify? I saw that Hasselblad responded to that question with "Autofocus metering via contrast detection with instant manual focus override" but did not directly answer the question.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoshMerwin View Post
    Dennis,
    I am 99% sure all the dials can be pushed in and used as buttons as well. And you can either use the touch screen or the dials to navigate the menus. Relocating the focus point may only be possible via the back screen though. I'm sure they could implement it via the dials, but it seems like it would be tricky to use, unless you only went left to right.
    Thanks, Josh.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoshMerwin View Post
    Dennis,
    I'm told you will be able to select which focus point you want while looking through the EVF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    I'm told you will be able to select which focus point you want while looking through the EVF.
    Thanks, Nick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I got my eye on this camera......
    Likewise.

The thing that attracts me is the 50mpx sensor. Everything I've seen from that sensor is beautiful. It is the most important part of the camera, imho.

In an ideal world I would like a CFV50c to use on a 50x body or SWC. However, to get the same sensor in a much smaller and convenient body at the price point is incredible and ideal for what I want to shoot.

The 30mm lens which they plan to announce at Photokina is essential, imho.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    -----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does Phocus support Sony cams by chance

Like to download it and get some H6d files to play with.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Move been wondering that myself but I believe you have to be a Hasselblad owner to download Phocus.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Move been wondering that myself but I believe you have to be a Hasselblad owner to download Phocus.
    Phocus is free to download and free to use. I believe Sony cameras are supported, exactly which ones I don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

phocus supports sony files via the apple raw engine but some tools are not available for non hasselblad raw files. i must say i do like phocus very much because the files you get are very neutral, with great natural color and well balanced very different to the cooked style of c1. in workflows where you go to photoshop for retouching i much prefer this approach but i think for high volume work lightroom is better suited.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    Likewise.

The thing that attracts me is the 50mpx sensor. Everything I've seen from that sensor is beautiful. It is the most important part of the camera, imho.

In an ideal world I would like a CFV50c to use on a 50x body or SWC. However, to get the same sensor in a much smaller and convenient body at the price point is incredible and ideal for what I want to shoot.

The 30mm lens which they plan to announce at Photokina is essential, imho.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
    You bring up some good points. However, to me, the make or break for this camera will be the lenses. The new lenses are unknown - forget about MTF charts. The lenses have to be tested. The fallback is using existing HC lenses which have a history.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of lenses, evidently the earlier statement about zoom lenses on the Hasselblad Facebook page was incorrect. Now according to CEO Peter Oosting:

“Let me correct that a little bit…there will be more lenses coming.” said the CEO. “There will be also zoom lenses coming. So that is something we have to correct.
    ...with the 45mm and the 90mm, there’s a pretty good ‘compactability’ of the lenses. And that's what we want and will do with the zoom lenses.”
    That's encouraging, especially for those of us who enjoyed the HCD 35-90mm.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 30th June 2016 at 08:28.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

$250/36mp FF sensor. I have bought NEX-5N (aps-c 16mp) sensors for $50.
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Camer...0-c03cdd0282d8

Post Thanks / Like

nice shutter sound...

https://youtu.be/qqPa4PHmCk8

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very interested in giving the X1D a spin. As an fyi, I recently sent a note to the LensRentals folks asking if they had plans to add this system to their rental inventory. They sent a note back, and they plan on having the X1D available just as soon as they can get them...probably Sept. They seem pretty stoked about the X1D too.
    www.douglaswoodphotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That's a great idea to rent one first!
    With best regards, K-H.