The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Nick-T

I think that the point of the shallow depth of field and the MF look are more important for many people than the maybe slightly better Color to noise ratio of the bigger pixels
(which are actually not so big at all, 5,4 to 4,65 Micron - or in percent a 24x36 Sony A7RII chip pixel has around 77% of the 50 Mpix MF chip - and that one is not Backside illuminated.... ).

and losing the ability to use any kind of lens because of the lacking FPS is even more severe. On a scale of max usability that weighs much higher than a subpar AF.I would have completely left this off, by this Blad could have also made the lenses much smaller , lighter, cheaper and nevertheless more lightcollecting, with maybe f2.0 or even better.

There could have been a growing market of third party accessories, lenses, adapters and much more - all these things that make a camera system fun to use.

Nothing of all this will happen.

Sad.
I really don't get this continued desire to bash Hasselblad.

I just went and looked at your site and looked at your cameras, they are not for me but I'm not going to hunt down a forum post and rant about missing features, 4K video, image stabilisation, microwave, lasers (because lasers are cool). Why do you feel the need to attack some one else product?

Stefan Steib

Well, other than your continuing bashing of this new release maybe you could expand on how 'YOU' would provide lenses with 'MAYBE F2.0 OR EVEN BETTER'. Come on Stefan..... what is this really all about??

Its a great effort by Hasselblad and can only be improved on in future releases.....as most computers are improved on in time.

Victor
the lenses Nitto builds for Hasselblad are "on Order". The same company probably could have built an f2.0/30mm, f2.0/55mm and an f2.0/90mm Manual Focus.
Make these with a flange focal distance of 25-30mm and I bet a lot of Sony users or other mirrorless camera users Like Leica SL would have been potential customers for these as well !
With adapters all the Zeiss F Lenses like the 2.0/110 or a Mamiya 1,9/80mm would have been available, a Canon FD-L 1,2/85mm, and many many other lenses which have the image circle easily could have been used.

The H Line as a pro Camera line with backs would have been clearly separated and also shaped especially for the task it was made.

This new camera would get totally new customers into the Hasselblad world and build a 2nd column for earnings.

From a financial view I think it is nonsense, to build leafshutter lenses now, when in a few years lately globalshutter will be status of technology.
It remembers me to a bridge the german Bahn built for an existing line of trains, and shortly after they had finished the bridge, the line to that city is closed.

Am I the only one who sees this ? Calling Madness madness is not bashing, it is a constructive criticism, as I would wish Hasselblad survives alive and healthy.

If this will go wrong, that was it. After the recent lunacy desaster, a second blowup will not be taken.

And for the fans: it won´t do any good to just close the eyes and sing louder. Photokina will come and there are others out there who are doing their math
razorsharp and with no pity. It is a cruel world out there. Nearly ok is not good enough any longer.

Nick-T

Nick have you had this in your hands yet and anything you expand on for us.
Hi Guy
Thanks for asking. Yes I have held it (all too briefly). All I can say is I love it. It has a nice heft (if that makes sense for such a light thing) and feels beautifully made. Didn't get to explore it properly but I'm working on getting hold of one (who isn't!).

V

Vivek

From a financial view I think it is nonsense, to build leafshutter lenses now, when in a few years lately globalshutter will be status of technology.
Hi Stefan, Although I would have preordered one had it come with a FPS, i think as it is, it stands to make money for Hasselblad. Customers are forced to use the leaf shutter lenses they offer or there adapter and the H lenses. Even if the future (several years away) brings a global shutter to such a large sensor, mechanical leaf shutters still would find use in many applications.

They did incorporate the old Nikon iTTL flash for the X1D users. It is a huge bonus.

fotografz

There may be even cheaper ways to add a PC port with a third-party adaptor. If I remember correctly from my SB-900s and 910s, Nikon speedlights also have PC ports and can set to trigger only.

A pocket wizard/elinchrom sky port or whatever other wireless trigger you normally use?

Yeah I believe even the PCB Cyber Commander is rated to sync up to 1/2500 of a second. I've never tested it but that's what the tech people advertise.

Not sure anyone caught it in the video above he did say Nikon SB units. Anything Nikon is going to work with this cam. So you just need Nikon triggers and on camera flash Nikon TTL.

All of the above is understood.

What is most interesting in the above is that the Nikon Speed-lights have PC ports. Because what I want is a mobile set-up where a TTL speed-light is in the hot-shoe for fill, and a PC port to trigger the Profoto AIR radio for the key strobe light.

Stefan Steib

Hi Stefan, Although I would have preordered one had it come with a FPS, i think as it is, it stands to make money for Hasselblad. Customers are forced to use the leaf shutter lenses they offer or there adapter and the H lenses. Even if the future (several years away) brings a global shutter to such a large sensor, mechanical leaf shutters still would find use in many applications.

They did incorporate the old Nikon iTTL flash for the X1D users. It is a huge bonus.
Don´t get me wrong Vivek - I welcome that camera and I think that this was long overdue.

But what really makes me crazy, is to see a 90 % finished job with nice and thoughtful details, spoiled by marketing and a management decision to keep this closed system.
Hasselblad had gotten a lot of problems from this over the years, just remember their policy with the bodies and only lately opening them for Phase/leaf backs.
Sinar has pulverized nearly the whole company with this approach and on the other hand Sony and Leica now show how to do this differently.

arghhhhh.......Even I would have bought one did it have an FPS and we all could start working bringing this to little Cambo Actuses, Shift tilt adapters, Long teles and much much more............grmpfffff
:banghead:

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There may be even cheaper ways to add a PC port with a third-party adaptor. If I remember correctly from my SB-900s and 910s, Nikon speedlights also have PC ports and can set to trigger only.

A pocket wizard/elinchrom sky port or whatever other wireless trigger you normally use?

Yeah I believe even the PCB Cyber Commander is rated to sync up to 1/2500 of a second. I've never tested it but that's what the tech people advertise.

Not sure anyone caught it in the video above he did say Nikon SB units. Anything Nikon is going to work with this cam. So you just need Nikon triggers and on camera flash Nikon TTL.

All of the above is understood.

What is most interesting in the above is that the Nikon Speed-lights have PC ports. Because what I want is a mobile set-up where a TTL speed-light is in the hot-shoe for fill, and a PC port to trigger the Profoto AIR radio for the key strobe light.
Godox I can do that today with a portable flash in the hotshoe of the transmitter and the transmitter in the camera hotshoe . Than use the AD360 II units or there 600 units out there for key and background. Far cheaper system too and on the Hassy just buy Nikon version of flash, transmitters and such.

I have two portables and three AD360 II units and I can do just about any setup. Total cost 5 strobes about 1800 total with some modifiers . All that Exoensive studio stuff is long gone. I need it I rent it

Godfrey

FPS? :facesmack:
I believe that means focal plane shutter.

There've been some acronym heavy posts about the Hasselblad X1D, both here and elsewhere. For my part, on seeing the announcement, I pulled out my SWC and hugged it: "You've got a new baby brother!" ... :angel:

Dogs857

Just finished this from start to finish, you blokes are a really tough crowd.

I don't know of any company that has produced a camera that fits everyone's needs exactly, nor one that makes allowances for a third party market from which they will make no money (except in selling the body). This looks like a big step forward into the mirror less system that a lot of people have been asking for. Is it a perfect camera... no not at all. But that doesn't make it bad or unattractive to those who will benefit from it.

I love these early product launches, and can't wait to see what the output from this thing is like. I can't afford one right now, but that doesn't mean it won't be on my radar. The 645D is a fantastic camera but if I can shave a couple of kilos of weight from my system and still get great results I could be tempted.

The only thing I wonder about is using the rear screen with gloves. But I am sure there are ways around this.

Congratulations Hasselblad, I will watch this with interest.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There are buttons on the right that you can use to access the screen so yes you can use gloves it looks like.

Don Libby

We now have 5 pages and counting filled with pro and cons about a system that hasn't even hit the market yet. This has turned into the now traditional way of posting about a new release. I'm actually surprised (unless I missed it) that someone hasn't posted their thoughts about how much better their 35mm is.

It looks like we have several months ahead of us till someone's preorder will actually be filled and we can begin a fun with thread; makes me wonder just how many more pages will be added in the meantime.

:watch:

V

Vivek

Don, in case you missed it, the CDAF in this is going to be s lower than the ones found in m43rds. ;)

Why go to 35mm? :)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Joe,

Pages are shorter on LuLa. That thread has a little more than twice the number of posts in this thread. :lecture:

;)

Matt

Godfrey

We now have 5 pages and counting filled with pro and cons about a system that hasn't even hit the market yet. This has turned into the now traditional way of posting about a new release. I'm actually surprised (unless I missed it) that someone hasn't posted their thoughts about how much better their 35mm is.

It looks like we have several months ahead of us till someone's preorder will actually be filled and we can begin a fun with thread; makes me wonder just how many more pages will be added in the meantime.

:watch:
I guess when Hasselblad (or Leica, or {name your brand...}) introduce a new camera, the rest of the world stops for a few hours... It's an Event. :toocool:

G

PeterA

At first I was a bit disappointed then looking at the few photos available I changed my mind.

I will shoot this like I previously did the Mamiya 7II ... basically a travel camera on monopod mainly at F8 - 11 at the lowest ISO that will work. Fast AF does not matter to me ... most of my subjects are static.
If I want mojo then my Leica S006 and 100 will suffice.

My Fuji X-Pro and lenses will be dropped and this will be for me a perfect kit to replace them.

Placed my order this morning. Now to decide on the best PC adapter for my Profoto strobes when I need more than the Pocket Wizard to sync.

Bob
Keep me posted Bob - I'll be using the camera for exactly same purposes as you - my number 1 filter for buying anything has become ease of use and carry around ability - this camera will be a huge upgrade on MF Leica/Alpa/Sinar/Mamiya/Hasselblad systems I no longer like using - because it is all too big and clumsy/futzy for me these days. Leica M ( because I love the lenses) and Hasselblad X ( because of 50 megapixels) - everything else can go to those who have more use for it than I - at 20 cents in the dollar.

Pete