Site Sponsors
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Hands on today with the X1D - beware, it's a touch / hold it you want one type of camera!! Feels great in the hand and build quality and heft were excellent. One thing I didn't like was the mode dial as it has a tapered top that wasn't easy to grasp however, the rep said that this was going to change in the production version so that the knurled edge would be easy to turn unseen.

The UI was easy to use and I liked the fact that the mode dials displayed in the EVF. Personally I found the EVF intuitive plus you can use the rear LCD. No complaints there.

We discussed the lenses and the forthcoming 30mm. Interestingly the rep was asking what would be preferred next? A super wide or zoom / 150mm or so. My preference was a 150mm but the super wide was a new option.

I was picking up a 43mm for my mamiya 7 so had a chance to compare sizes between 503, X1D and my Mamiya 7. The X1D was surprisingly svelte and about the height of the 503 body/folded waist finder.

Btw, definitely still a work in progress. The firmware didn't have the square/xpan VF overlay plus AF was iffy on one body and the same body rendered a banded image. However, none of this should bother people because they'll be fixed by product release. Definitely beta firmware right now.

images looked great at ISO 3200 shot indoors.

Attachment 119684
    Thanks for the report, Graham. My Mamiya 7 and lenses are sitting here in my closet waiting for a home. Too bad I didn't now you were looking for the 43mm. I have a nice mint copy.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn. This might derail my Leica S system building plan. They're not identical use case cameras, but there's a lot of overlap. Nevertheless, thanks Graham.

--Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad has really got me itchy and scratchy now looking at all my accumulated gear and packing it up for sale ...interesting thing for me is that I will probably buy into XID AND MF like 6D or Phase One.

Photokina will be very interesting....Hasselblad has pretty much declared FOR EVF and FOR lightweight as a new market. It will be up to others to chase now. Hopefully there are a few announcements about future product as rumoured for Fuji for example. This means I will be able to get a Hasselblad sooner rather than later. Pretty obvious that CCD market is now in contraction mode .....
    Last edited by PeterA; 8th July 2016 at 21:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    Damn. This might derail my Leica S system building plan. They're not identical use case cameras, but there's a lot of overlap. Nevertheless, thanks Graham.

--Matt
    You know that you want it. As a quant on Wall Street you know that you can ... Subject to spousal approval
    (As a fellow Wall St compensated person )
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 9th July 2016 at 01:51.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw if you want the best in used gear I recommend Jim, Tom & Steven at ptophotosupply.com - excellent passionate photographers.
    Ylem ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts on the use of a touch interface ?

I have mixed feelings - convenient for things like moving the focus point, but I find buttons better for accessing functions.

And in cold weather or when ever so slight damp, touch screens can be downright annoying. Gloves can't be used in the cold weather, and many touch screens just don't work if there is moisture on the screen.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Post Thanks / Like

--Matt
    The beauty of the X1D is that if you scratch two lenses from your S-plan, you can buy an X1D with both lenses.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    The beauty of the X1D is that if you scratch two lenses from your S-plan, you can buy an X1D with both lenses.
    If I bought the lenses new, sure. So far, an S(006) with protection plan, S 35, and S 70 have totaled $10,000 exactly. Those are both f/2.5 lenses. That's a good deal cheaper than anything in MF with a CMOS sensor and comparable lenses.

So I'm looking for S glass in the $3,000 range, but, as I said, the X1D complicates things.

You know that you want it. As a quant on Wall Street you know that you can ... Subject to spousal approval
    (As a fellow Wall St compensated person )
    I'm a *retired* Wall St. person, so the cash flow is all negative, and my wife can sign arrest warrants. I have to be careful! But seriously, I do believe that frequent system switching is a bad thing. The S(007) - if I ever go there - has most of the advantages (for me) of CMOS mirrorless - live view, magnified view focusing, high ISO/DR, and it accepts Contax and Hassy lenses with full AF. The X1D is smaller, cheaper, has lighter lenses, and a few more pixels. Those are advantages not to be dismissed, and I don't dismiss them.

I LIKE using the S system, though (except for it's weight and lens price). A system I don't like stays on the shelf and is worse than useless. So we'll see. That you like the X1D is more informative to me than any of its specs.

Best,

Matt
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A system I don't like stays on the shelf and is worse than useless.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

If I bought the lenses new, sure. So far, an S(006) with protection plan, S 35, and S 70 have totaled $10,000 exactly. Those are both f/2.5 lenses. That's a good deal cheaper than anything in MF with a CMOS sensor and comparable lenses.

So I'm looking for S glass in the $3,000 range, but, as I said, the X1D complicates things.

I LIKE using the S system, though (except for it's weight and lens price). A system I don't like stays on the shelf and is worse than useless. So we'll see. That you like the X1D is more informative to me than any of its specs.

Best,

Matt
    I'm in the same boat as Matt. I like my S system, the X1D ticks a lot of boxes, and I would like to buy one. After shooting the H5D-50c, I can really appreciate what HB has done with the new offering. But the end result would be way too much equipment that didn't get used and life is too short to obsess over this stuff. I'll probably pick one up when they become more available and I don't have to get on a six month waiting list.
    I'm still looking for a S 45 lens deal to fill out my Leica kit.

What I really need is for this gawd-awful heat to go away so I can get out and do some shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

I need a mirrorless Leica S
    Last edited by erick.boileau; 9th July 2016 at 09:07.
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    What I really need is for this gawd-awful heat to go away so I can get out and do some shooting.
    John, I can't agree with you more. The heat and humidity are brutal.

Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/DHfQY7r28Kg?t=1m4s

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is odd that the Hasselblad guy is interviewed with so many wine bottles next to him.

Quote Originally Posted by erick.boileau View Post
    Leica needs one for sure.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomentsForZen View Post
    Any thoughts on the use of a touch interface ?

I have mixed feelings - convenient for things like moving the focus point, but I find buttons better for accessing functions.

And in cold weather or when ever so slight damp, touch screens can be downright annoying. Gloves can't be used in the cold weather, and many touch screens just don't work if there is moisture on the screen.

Just an observation on the XF+100. I recently was in a snow storm with gloves on and I had left the original screen protector on my DB. It worked flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erick.boileau View Post
    I need a mirrorless Leica M. Oh wait, then it can't be called an M. Oh well, still want a mirrorless Leica like my Q, but not an SL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    John, I can't agree with you more. The heat and humidity are brutal.
    +1

This summer has been brutal. I'm down in Atlanta and going outside isn't a whole lot of fun at the moment. I've been sweating just by walking my dog....at 11pm...well after the sun has gone down. We've had a lot of air quality warnings to boot. Fall needs to hurry up haha

Thanks Graham for your thoughts on the hands-on with the camera. Interesting from the Digital Rev video that they said the JPEGs are not the full 50mp. I think that's the first time I've heard that.
    -Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I need a mirrorless Leica M. Oh wait, then it can't be called an M. Oh well, still want a mirrorless Leica like my Q, but not an SL.
    ??

I don't like to change , I like my M lenses and I'd like to use them on a future M with an Electronic system or Electronic/Optic, I have never said anything else

The SL will have a 50 Summilux that's not enough actually to be a complete AF system and I am not interested in the 2 zooms, with a few interesting lenses I could change at once

The Q with a 28 mm is not for me

If a mirrorless S comes it will be (again for me) more interesting than the SL
    Last edited by erick.boileau; 9th July 2016 at 10:20.
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

Hands on today with the X1D - beware, it's a touch / hold it you want one type of camera!! Feels great in the hand and build quality and heft were excellent. One thing I didn't like was the mode dial as it has a tapered top that wasn't easy to grasp however, the rep said that this was going to change in the production version so that the knurled edge would be easy to turn unseen.

The UI was easy to use and I liked the fact that the mode dials displayed in the EVF. Personally I found the EVF intuitive plus you can use the rear LCD. No complaints there.

We discussed the lenses and the forthcoming 30mm. Interestingly the rep was asking what would be preferred next? A super wide or zoom / 150mm or so. My preference was a 150mm but the super wide was a new option.

Attachment 119684
    Graham:

I looked back at the launch of the H1 in 2002. There were 4 HC lenses at the launch. The 35, the 80, the 150 and the 50-110 zoom. The next year, Hasselblad released another 3 lenses. The 35, the 120 Macro and the 210. The X1D is (sort of) launching with 3 lenses, the 30, the 45 and the 90. So, I am hopeful that Hasselblad will release 4 new lenses in 2017: a 24, a 150, a 210 and a zoom with an equivalent range to 24-70 in 35mm terms. Perhaps a relatively fast normal prime like the HC 100 f/2.2.

Did the reps or the shop that sponsored the demo relay any information about delivery times if one were to order now?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone heard if Hasselblad is planning on having a vertical grip for the X1D?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the Kenmore Camera store today for the X1D demo. I believe Kenmore camera will have production demo models at the end of next month.

Just some quick notes:

1. EVF refresh rate isn't that bad. It does black out sometimes, rep assures that it will be corrected soon.
    2. No live peaking to begin with. It is on Hasselblad's to do list. So hopefully via firmware.
    3. AF inside the store was alright not too bad. Again this is pre-production, I wasn't impressed with it. Backlit situations AF was hunting. With that being said I was not too disappointed either. AF selection points will come soon. No True Focus or any of the other Hasselblad feature. (Testing AF with 90mm mostly at F3.2).
    4. Camera can handle weather elements, definitely not weather sealed.
    5. As someone pointed out HB has plans to release other lenses next year but they are working with a lot on their plate. For some reason I got the impression that X1D would be a lesser priority when compared to H5/H6.
    6. Someone asked about vertical grip. I did not ask the rep about it but it didn't look like X1D would have a vertical grip.

Solid camera for sure, the Kenmore reps had a Sony A7R next to HB for comparison. Seriously great work by HB. I would still wait until Photokina to decide on my order. HB vs Fuji for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Graham:

I looked back at the launch of the H1 in 2002. There were 4 HC lenses at the launch. The 35, the 80, the 150 and the 50-110 zoom. The next year, Hasselblad released another 3 lenses. The 35, the 120 Macro and the 210. The X1D is (sort of) launching with 3 lenses, the 30, the 45 and the 90. So, I am hopeful that Hasselblad will release 4 new lenses in 2017: a 24, a 150, a 210 and a zoom with an equivalent range to 24-70 in 35mm terms. Perhaps a relatively fast normal prime like the HC 100 f/2.2.

Did the reps or the shop that sponsored the demo relay any information about delivery times if one were to order now?

Thanks.
    I was enquiring more about landscape photography options and the rep did say they do have wide angle lenses planned next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koushikr View Post
    Went to the Kenmore Camera store today for the X1D demo. I believe Kenmore camera will have production demo models at the end of next month.

Just some quick notes:

1. EVF refresh rate isn't that bad. It does black out sometimes, rep assures that it will be corrected soon.
    2. No live peaking to begin with. It is on Hasselblad's to do list. So hopefully via firmware.
    3. AF inside the store was alright not too bad. Again this is pre-production, I wasn't impressed with it. Backlit situations AF was hunting. With that being said I was not too disappointed either. AF selection points will come soon. No True Focus or any of the other Hasselblad feature. (Testing AF with 90mm mostly at F3.2).
    4. Camera can handle weather elements, definitely not weather sealed.
    5. As someone pointed out HB has plans to release other lenses next year but they are working with a lot on their plate. For some reason I got the impression that X1D would be a lesser priority when compared to H5/H6.
    6. Someone asked about vertical grip. I did not ask the rep about it but it didn't look like X1D would have a vertical grip.

Solid camera for sure, the Kenmore reps had a Sony A7R next to HB for comparison. Seriously great work by HB. I would still wait until Photokina to decide on my order. HB vs Fuji for me
    Thanks for the notes!

Post Thanks / Like

koushikr,

What focal lengths would fit your definition/desires as far as landscape applications is concerned? There is a 30mm X lens well down the pipeline towards release.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomentsForZen View Post
    koushikr,

What focal lengths would fit your definition/desires as far as landscape applications is concerned? There is a 30mm X lens well down the pipeline towards release.

True. 30mm would just be enough for starters.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koushikr View Post
    True. 30mm would just be enough for starters.
    If I happen to be wealthy enough, the 30mm might be enough to motivate pressing the buy button. But for me, a 21-22mm would be perfect.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    If I happen to be wealthy enough, the 30mm might be enough to motivate pressing the buy button. But for me, a 21-22mm would be perfect.

G
    That's about a 16mm in FF35mm terms, are you landscape guys really wanting something that wide???

Post Thanks / Like

..... a 30mm X lens well down the pipeline........
    Could someone help me. I'd like to know what equivalence the X1D 45mm lens [and 30mm too] has in lens focal lengths for the 36 x 24mm sensor format, BUT :

Not calculated by format diagonals, but by matched FOV on the long side of the two formats.

............ Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Could someone help me. I'd like to know what equivalence the X1D 45mm lens [and 30mm too] has in lens focal lengths for the 36 x 24mm sensor format, BUT :

Not calculated by format diagonals, but by matched FOV on the long side of the two formats.

............ Chris
    By long edge ratios,

45*36/44 = 37mm equivalent
    30*36/44 = 24.5mm equivalent

--Matt

(It's easier on the Leica S, as it has a 3:2 aspect ratio, so any measurement suffices, and 45 -> 36, 30 -> 24, 24 -> 19)

Post Thanks / Like

Dang, wasn't quick enough on the draw ...

... what the heck, I'll post this anyway.

According to Barnack:

Hasselblad X1D = 35mm Full Frame = Horizontal Angle of View

30 = 24 = 74
    45 = 36 = 52
    90 = 71 = 27

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    That's about a 16mm in FF35mm terms, are you landscape guys really wanting something that wide???
    I'm sure folks would LIKE one but I don't think that they've thought through what that means to actually make such a super wide MF lens ...

Personally I'm ok with the 30mm on 44x33m. Kind of equivalent to my 43mm on 6x7. I'm more interested in something like a 30/45/90/150 or 180mm outfit.

For seeing and comparing focal lengths/rendering I use DT's visualizer: https://digitaltransitions.com/suppo...ualizer-tools/
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nick, most of my landscape images are in the 24-70mm (35mm equiv.) range. The super-wide shots are few, and mostly in cases where stitching would suffice. Beyond the initial lens announcements, my "wish list" includes a 24-70mm zoom and a 135mm tele. Would I buy a super-wide if one were offered? Probably more for amusement than serious work. I'm attracted to shiny objects.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

By long edge ratios,

45*36/44 = 37mm equivalent
    30*36/44 = 24.5mm equivalent

--Matt

(It's easier on the Leica S, as it has a 3:2 aspect ratio, so any measurement suffices, and 45 -> 36, 30 -> 24, 24 -> 19)
    Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Dang, wasn't quick enough on the draw ...

... what the heck, I'll post this anyway.

According to Barnack:

Hasselblad X1D = 35mm Full Frame = Horizontal Angle of View

30 = 24 = 74
    45 = 36 = 52
    90 = 71 = 27

Jim
    Wow, can't we agree on something?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Wow, can't we agree on something?

Joe
    This *is* getDPI...

Given that lenses that say "50mm" can be off by up to 5mm, it doesn't really matter.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure folks would LIKE one but I don't think that they've thought through what that means to actually make such a super wide MF lens ...

Personally I'm ok with the 30mm on 44x33m. Kind of equivalent to my 43mm on 6x7. I'm more interested in something like a 30/45/90/150 or 180mm outfit.

For seeing and comparing focal lengths/rendering I use DT's visualizer: https://digitaltransitions.com/suppo...ualizer-tools/
    The Leica S 24 is very unusual for an MF SLR lens. It's about a 19mm FF FoV. I want one! I've never been much of a 35mm FF shooter (45mm here), so my S lens lineup would be 24, 35, 70, and 100 or 120.

--Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 11th July 2016 at 14:38.

Post Thanks / Like

Not this landscape guy! I would like to see the longer end of the range filled out after the 30mm lens is released. A 150, a 200, and a mid range f/4 zoom (e.g., 30mm-100mm). Then, perhaps a fast(er) 120mm lens for people.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know what focusing mechanisms are used by the XCD lenses? Are they "silent"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikec View Post
    Does anyone know what focusing mechanisms are used by the XCD lenses? Are they "silent"?
    Seemed silent enough. I was stuck with the 90mm and the focussing sound did not bother me inside the store. MF by Wire and CDAF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried both the 45 and the 90 and whilst I wouldn't refer to them as 'silent' they were as quiet as any other zoom lens I possess. They were essentially noiseless as far as the subject is concerned. Only a slight zip noise like any other lens.
    Ylem ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, exactly. That's what nets the same field of view, when cropped square, as a Hasselblad SWC (Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* on 56x56 mm format).
    My vision for the Hasselblad X1D is to fit it with a 22mm lens, set it to crop square, and achieve an SWC digital.

It's what I do today with a 15 or 16 mm lens on my Leica SL:

Leica SL + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
    ISO 1600 @ f/5.6 @ 1/160 @ 16mm

I don't shoot much "landscape" unless you interpret the term rather differently from how most people use it...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I tried both the 45 and the 90 and whilst I wouldn't refer to them as 'silent' they were as quiet as any other zoom lens I possess. They were essentially noiseless as far as the subject is concerned. Only a slight zip noise like any other lens.
    S lenses are pretty noisy! If the XCD lenses are quiet, I'd appreciate them even more.

Post Thanks / Like

On the question of "Which lens to develop next?" ...

Given the announced range of 30-45-90mm lenses, I would be prepared to wait a while for something wider than the 30mm.

Likewise, I would be happy to wait (or skip altogether) a zoom lens that operates across the announced range such as 30-90mm. I would, however, note that Hasselblad CEO, Perry Oostin, was quick and at pains to correct the record that Hasselblad were going to release zoom lenses for the X1D. I (personally/selfishly) like prime lenses, but I am in the minority these days. The general market appears to like to have 2 zoom lenses to cover the normal range - perhaps in this case, a 30-90mm (24-70mm for FF) and 90-250mm (70-200mm in FF). Hence, I would not be surprised if something like a 30-90mm zoom was next on the list.

I would like a 150 mm as the next lens. And then a 250 mm or a decent macro, and I mean a "true" macro (i.e., 1:1 or better).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oddly, when Leica replaces the original under-spec'ed S AF motor, they are considerably quieter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Yes, exactly. That's what nets the same field of view, when cropped square, as a Hasselblad SWC (Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* on 56x56 mm format).
    My vision for the Hasselblad X1D is to fit it with a 22mm lens, set it to crop square, and achieve an SWC digital.

It's what I do today with a 15 or 16 mm lens on my Leica SL:

G
    Same for me, Godfrey. I prefer 1:1/5:4 print ratios resulting from years of B&W silver printing on standard paper sizes. I'm also a lover of the SWC and my S-24mm gets me most of the way there, but not quite. Consequently, for me, the angle of view of the short side is more important than the long side for urban landscapes and portraits.

Gary
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolophoto/

Post Thanks / Like

Nick,

That's about a 16mm in FF35mm terms, are you landscape guys really wanting something that wide?
    14mm equivalent will be fine, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm all for a super wide but some folks might be sticker shocked by what it takes to produce such a MF lens. The list of affordable 23/24mm medium format digital lenses can be counted on ... Err ... Zero fingers
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for a super wide but some folks might be sticker shocked by what it takes to produce such a MF lens. The list of affordable 23/24mm medium format digital lenses can be counted on ... Err ... Zero fingers
    http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11/hcd24-uk-v4.pdf

Ok, question of what "affordable" means ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Compared to Rodies, both the Hasselblad 24 (I didn't know this lens existed) and the Leica 24 are quite cheap.

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmueller View Post
    http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11/hcd24-uk-v4.pdf

Ok, question of what "affordable" means ;-)
    Indeed. In a thread were people are bandying about comparisons between their Leica S system, P1 system, Alpa system, Hasselblad SLR system against the new X1D system ... ?

A quick glance at Leica S lenses says new prices are in the $4000-$10,000 range. The X1D's currently announced two lenses are $3500-4500. The XF 24mm is $7800. Ultra wide lenses are easier to design and build for shorter mount registers without a mirror in the path, but they're not cheap nonetheless. I would not imagine an X1D 21mm lens to cost much more than the Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm f/3.5, which at least one person here has already said is one of their favorite lenses.

Seems a bit over the top to be cautionary about affordability when you're talking $9000 and up bodies and $4000 to $12,000 lenses ... !

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream