Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

As usual...I'm right there with you Joe!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Today I had the oppertunity to follow a Hasselblad X1D presentation in Munich and could play a bit with the camera.

some details that were new for me

- Hasselblad plans to introduce a black version of the X1D at Photokina
    - they plan to release TS lenses and further tele lenses in the future starting 2017
    - the final firmware will offer nine focus points equally distributed within the 44x33mm sensor area; there will be no face or eye recognition which would require more focus points to work properly
    - there is no way to use Hasselblad V lenses even with the V-H plus H-X adapter (this means no way to trigger the leaf shutter in the V lens by the camera)
    - there is (currently) no way for an electrical cable release (only wireless via the iOS app); maybe technically possible via the USB port?
    - it will be possible to zoom in to 100% on the app (on iPhone or iPad) because a full resolution jpg is transmitted wirelessly
    - with current firmware the life view changes from back screen to EVF by the eye sensor, in future fw one will be able to switch off the back screen manually
    - leaf shutter noise: terrible sound. loud, high frequency, 'cheap', annoying, IMO unacceptable. that was a kind of dealbreaker against the camera for quite everyone who attended the presentation. i am wondering no one else mentioning that issue in the early reviews. i remember the leaf shutter noise from a normal Hasselblad H lens on the Alpa FPS (without using the built-in focal plane shutter) and that was a very silient and pleasent noise. totally different from the X1D.

not new but recognizable

- the camera feels very nice in the hand. the grip is well shaped (more ergonomical than Leica SL), grip height is sufficient to be used without a battery grip (which is anyhow not available) and it is rather deep
    - the EVF is basically the same like in current Sony and Fuji cams but frame rate is rather slow; will be quicker at final release but the Hasselblad rep could not specify how quick it would be and if the lag could be reduced
    - the camera becomes rather warm already within minutes due to the heat generated by the large sensor that is in action continously to deliver the life view in the EVF or back screen; according rep should be better with final version but may still remain a critical issue especially at high outdoor temperatures
    - the lenses have a very nice feeling of MF even with drive-by-wire and they feature a silicone O-ring at the mount à la Zeiss Batis; they are heavy and rather large which is a bit surprising considering that they are rather slow
    - the camera is really slim so a bit hard to imagine to add a focal plane shutter in front of the sensor for more lens flexibility in a future version
    Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What? No wired cable release?!

I'd never trust a wireless / iPhone release in the field. If this is true and there is not a proper, wired cable release in the works, it is a major oversight.

For the rest of it, I'm surprised there will only be 9 focus points. It wouldn't bother me in pratice I don't think, but I would have thought the user could select points across the entire frame like other mirrorless cameras?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrismuc View Post
    - leaf shutter noise: terrible sound. loud, high frequency, 'cheap', annoying, IMO unacceptable. that was a kind of dealbreaker against the camera for quite everyone who attended the presentation. i am wondering no one else mentioning that issue in the early reviews. i remember the leaf shutter noise from a normal Hasselblad H lens on the Alpa FPS (without using the built-in focal plane shutter) and that was a very silent and pleasant noise. totally different from the X1D.
    I did not notice that during the presentation I assisted (not the same one). The noise was different to the one of the H cameras, but not really loud. It is different because the aperture is closed right before the shutter function and opened again, so it is a series of 3 clics.

Maybe the specific prototype your tried had a different shutter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    What? No wired cable release?!

I'd never trust a wireless / iPhone release in the field. If this is true and there is not a proper, wired cable release in the works, it is a major oversight.

For the rest of it, I'm surprised there will only be 9 focus points. It wouldn't bother me in pratice I don't think, but I would have thought the user could select points across the entire frame like other mirrorless cameras?
    Same for me. Wifi with my Fuji or Sony is often unreliable. If I for example quickly have to do 30 outdoor shots on tripod within a few hours and I switch off the camera while moving the tripod it is no problem to shoot immediately afterwards using the cable release but to set-up the wifi every time it was lost is really time consuming and annoying.

I also don't understand why not more focus points are possible, but the rep said they would be placed exactly in the centers of the nine fields one can see if the double line grid is switched on.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    I did not notice that during the presentation I assisted (not the same one). The noise was different to the one of the H cameras, but not really loud. It is different because the aperture is closed right before the shutter function and opened again, so it is a series of 3 clics.

Maybe the specific prototype your tried had a different shutter?
    He had a 45mm and a 90mm lens available, both had this very strange sound, but the rep said it's 'normal'. Acc the rep, the lenses are final designs, just the (very few existing) cameras are pre-release models.
    And actually you're right, it's a kind of multi-click-sound from the combination of aperture and leaf shutter (a bit like the first Sony A7 which also had a strange double-click sound).

Post Thanks / Like

He had a 45mm and a 90mm lens available, both had this very strange sound, but the rep said it's 'normal'. Acc the rep, the lenses are final designs, just the (very few existing) cameras are pre-release models.
    And actually you're right, it's a kind of multi-click-sound from the combination of aperture and leaf shutter (a bit like the first Sony A7 which also had a strange double-click sound).
    first off thanks for the detailed report of the experience you have had with one of the prototypes,to your noise issues I believe someone did mention that noise also.
    Its a bit hard to get cameras for testing from a brand company and then drop a bomb on the review I would guess if you not a reviewer but an actual ambassador for the company? The news about the TS lens possibility is strong, that alone will sell many cameras in conjunction with the proposed zoom offerings. Go H!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TS lenses would make the X1D basically a compelling camera for me. For travel it would make it very interesting as an alternative to my Cambo Actus DB+ & IQ150. Of course that are many aspects still why many of us love shooting real technical cameras but having a system camera body with TS lenses ticks most of my check boxes.

Of course, this is all predicated on the TS lenses being wide & mid range lenses and not like the sole Phase One TS lens which is way too long for much use for landscape shooting.

45 & 90mm TS would be great. A 35mm TS even better.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    TS lenses would make the X1D basically a compelling camera for me. For travel it would make it very interesting as an alternative to my Cambo Actus DB+ & IQ150. Of course that are many aspects still why many of us love shooting real technical cameras but having a system camera body with TS lenses ticks most of my check boxes.

Of course, this is all predicated on the TS lenses being wide & mid range lenses and not like the sole Phase One TS lens which is way too long for much use for landscape shooting.

45 & 90mm TS would be great. A 35mm TS even better.
    TS lenses would be a very attractive proposition, but strangely at odds with the explanation that a remote cable release will not be available because the X1D was
    conceived as a "walk around" camera. I wonder if Hasselblad misjudged the real market for the X1D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No cable release at all would be very disappointing although a timed release is there built in. Discussing with the rep when they demo'd the X1D consensus was that a USB remote would have to be provided as an option if only for credibility reasons. I agree that it is a significant oversight not to have a solution at product launch. (That said it took phase one a year+ to deliver a cable release for the XF although at least there was a dedicated port!)
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

- there is no way to use Hasselblad V lenses even with the V-H plus H-X adapter (this means no way to trigger the leaf shutter in the V lens by the camera)
    And that is, unfortunately, a show-stopper for me for the near future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    TS lenses would be a very attractive proposition, but strangely at odds with the explanation that a remote cable release will not be available because the X1D was
    conceived as a "walk around" camera. I wonder if Hasselblad misjudged the real market for the X1D.
    That's not quite accurate. What I said was that it was conceived (IMO) as a walk around camera. It does have a tripod socket and I have asked if there will be a wired or wireless remote, Haven't had an answer yet as a bunch of Swedes are on holiday

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D XC Lens

Hi,

The 50 mm needs to cover a larger area as it is designed for a larger sensor size. So effective light drop off is about same on the X1D compared to 50 mm HC/3.5 used on larger sensor.

The 45 mm is actually wider than the 50 mm, albeit the difference is small.

The MTF data indicates it has very high image quality, but MTF is about sharpness in the focal plane. So it is perfectly possible the lens is very sharp but may still have less than pleasant bokeh. But, a very good MTF usually indicates a well designed lens.

Light fall off is not a great issue, as it is easily corrected in software. Software correction of images have been a hallmark of Hasselblad for a long time.

So, I don't think it's half the image quality at half the price. My guess the new lens is better than the old lens when the old one is used on a crop sensor back.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by modator View Post
    With the introduction of this new model the MF lens become lighter and small...

But everything have a price, the relative illumination XC (yellow) versus the HC-50 II (white)
    looking at the graph they seems identical... also the XC graph seem better...

Better if You don't look at the scale... in fact the XC relative illumination scale ends at around 28mm... looking at the other lens size for the 50mm that's the closest to this 45mm F3,5 it seem in the time the glass is becoming little little..

Finally the XC lens have it's advantage in the price ! with half of the glass and half of the weight, it has half of the price.

Who knows if it has also half of IQ ??

Domenico.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    That's not quite accurate. What I said was that it was conceived (IMO) as a walk around camera. It does have a tripod socket and I have asked if there will be a wired or wireless remote, Haven't had an answer yet as a bunch of Swedes are on holiday
    I got the impression from the product launch and previous comments from Mr. Oosting that it was conceived for portability, not necessarily strictly as a walk around camera. An X1D plus native XCD lenses may not be a walk-around camera per say, but it would certainly fit the bill for portability...especially compared to an H + HTS + HC/HCD combo.

Regarding remotes, I also imagine a wired remote would be possible with the ports present and some enablement via firmware. The X1D uses the usb-c standard. It's still pretty new and a google search doesn't pull up any usb-c wired remotes currently available, but in time I'm sure we'll see some (at least some third party chinese ones) and hopefully the X1D will allow their use. As previously stated, regardless of ports, it took Phase how long to come out with a remote for the XF and it's still in short supply? I think we should give Hasselblad a little slack here. I too prefer wired remotes but I use time delay all the time with my H4D and it serves the same purpose just fine (though I also enjoy my cheap $4 third party remote trigger). I'm going to a hands on Aug. 9th and will be asking a bunch of questions and will try and follow up on TS lenses, remote, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I am absolutely sure I don't need this camera. I have plenty more gear than I really need already. I am very interested in this camera because of my previously stated interest in ultra wide, larger format photographs; a compact MF digital body, without a swinging mirror and with a high quality UW lens, would net me the "SWC digital" camera I have wanted for a decade. Even better that it would be a Hasselblad.

G
    With the announcement of a 30mm later this fall it will make your 'SWC digital camera', no? Alternatively, if AF is not a must for you, a SWC with a mighty fine Phase One back will do as well, although net wise more expensive. Than again, what would you consider ultra wide on a MF camera?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    With the announcement of a 30mm later this fall it will make your 'SWC digital camera', no? Alternatively, if AF is not a must for you, a SWC with a mighty fine Phase One back will do as well, although net wise more expensive. Than again, what would you consider ultra wide on a MF camera?
    The SWC is 38mm on 56x56 format. That is ultra wide to me. To achieve that on 33x33 format requires a 22mm lens.

The available digital backs I could use on the SWC are not 56x56 format.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

There is a 23 mm from Rodenstock
    Canon's 17/4 TSE L and 24/3.5 TSE L would be usable if the camera would have FPS

A lens like the SWC doesn't play well with digital sensor, because the symmetrical design gives large angles.

The effects of the large beam angles are:

• Vignetting (cos 4, and vignetting by pixel pits)
    • Crosstalk between pixels
    • Astigmatism caused by cover glass (can probably compensated in optical design)

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The SWC is 38mm on 56x56 format. That is ultra wide to me. To achieve that on 33x33 format requires a 22mm lens.

The available digital backs I could use on the SWC are not 56x56 format.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe. In my experience using the 60 Mp Dalsa 40x54mm sensor on the SWC requires stopping down to f/16 to pull the corners in owing to the large beam angles from the symmetric Biogon design - why the SWC is so wonderfully compact, after all. A LCC is also required if you're picky about the colors out there as well. I could hand hold this combo but with base ISO = 50 this was really only feasible in bright daylight (sunny 16 and divide shutter speed in half). I reluctantly just sold my SWC/M - I enjoyed using it but the conditions under which I could use it or get images I was happy with were just to restrictive.

30mm on a crop frame MF sensor combined with the portability of the X1D seems like a pretty attractive alternative to the SWC, at least for me. No it won't give the same diagonal field of view as the SWC on 6x6 film but in terms of a horizontal (or vertical) field it's pretty close.

John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

There is a 23 mm from Rodenstock
    Canon's 17/4 TSE L and 24/3.5 TSE L would be usable if the camera would have FPS

A lens like the SWC doesn't play well with digital sensor, because the symmetrical design gives large angles.

The effects of the large beam angles are:

• Vignetting (cos 4, and vignetting by pixel pits)
    • Crosstalk between pixels
    • Astigmatism caused by cover glass (can probably compensated in optical design)

Best regards
    Erik
    Yes. I'm well aware of all that.
    The camera doesn't have a focal plane shutter. That's the design.

I don't want to adapt lenses. I want a native lens, matched and optimized to the body and the format. A 20-24 mm lens would be suitable, preferably 22 or wider.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    Maybe. In my experience using the 60 Mp Dalsa 40x54mm sensor on the SWC requires stopping down to f/16 to pull the corners in owing to the large beam angles from the symmetric Biogon design - why the SWC is so wonderfully compact, after all. A LCC is also required if you're picky about the colors out there as well. I could hand hold this combo but with base ISO = 50 this was really only feasible in bright daylight (sunny 16 and divide shutter speed in half). I reluctantly just sold my SWC/M - I enjoyed using it but the conditions under which I could use it or get images I was happy with were just to restrictive.

30mm on a crop frame MF sensor combined with the portability of the X1D seems like a pretty attractive alternative to the SWC, at least for me. No it won't give the same diagonal field of view as the SWC on 6x6 film but in terms of a horizontal (or vertical) field it's pretty close.

John
    I'm not interested in anything but square format with as close to that SWC FoV as possible. That's my particular desire/need... 30mm is way too long a focal length for what I want.

On a FF 35mm sensor, a 15 to 16 mm lens does the right thing. It's why I have the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 and WATE for the Leica M/SL cameras.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...

So it is possible for 'Blad to make a cable release that plugs into the USB-c port? If so I hope they acknowledge this and put out a product asap after or at release. It's essential, IMO. For those of us that do tripod based work in the field, timer release is not an option, and neither is wireless via an app etc. When things are moving in front of the camera, a split second is an eternity.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok...

So it is possible for 'Blad to make a cable release that plugs into the USB-c port? If so I hope they acknowledge this and put out a product asap after or at release. It's essential, IMO. For those of us that do tripod based work in the field, timer release is not an option, and neither is wireless via an app etc. When things are moving in front of the camera, a split second is an eternity.
    I don't know the first thing about the electronics involved here, but isn't it quite possible that a cable release plugged into a port on the X1D that was not designed as a dedicated port for a cable release would require some changes in the internal circuitry? Not just firmware. If so, that ship may have sailed, as the X1D was supposed to start shipping by late August. In any event, I am surprised that Hasselblad has not addressed the issue yet. If they don't come up with a solution, this is one negative that will have to be weighed against all of the positives. IMO. Everything in life is a series of tradeoffs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok...

I do agree with you about a wired remote release. Even though my two system cameras are fully controllable with WiFi remote release capabilities, and I use that in the field a lot of the time, there are situations where the convenience, immediacy, and responsiveness of a wired remote just beats the wireless remote operation hands down.

Since the X1D will indeed have remote operation software, both tethered with USB and WiFi, according to the reports I've read, that means the control protocol for a wired USB remote is all in place already. What they'd need to do, at its most complex, is to make a USB device that engages the shutter release protocol in its hardware.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Good point. If you can control the camera via usb tethered connection, a simple wired cable release is surely easy to make. Just need word from Hasstlblad to confirm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It always amazes me that these companies shoot themselves in the foot by missing basic things like support for hard wired remotes or inability to deliver basic items (Phase One) such as the normal length cable releases or for a long time the waist level finder.

Hasselblad could avoid all of the conjecture amongst potential buyers by just making an announcement or update of their web site to clarify the remote release issue. Maybe it's not an option immediately but at least providing some roadmap information would stop some potential buyers from writing off the camera ahead of time.

It's not a complete deal breaker for me but I really really hate the option of using a smart phone as the triggering device. It's really not a reliable option out in the real world especially as mentioned here if you power on/off the camera between shooting setups. You can also guarantee that it'll be a situation where the battery is low in the phone or conditions are bad enough that you don't want to soak or handle the phone & camera.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post

John
    In regard to your last paragraph I have similar thoughts. I use a P25+ on the SWC and if a X1D with a 30mm comes close enough for 'an affordable price' who am I to have nightmares over the traditional film 56x56 format. Heck, I can't even find a decent lab anymore to process colour film and e6 is dead in my territory.

LCC profiles are always helpful I guess, I especially need them if I mount the DB on a customized slider. With a total 32mm shift the angle to the lens (Schneider Super Angulon 58mm) causes all sorts of nightmares that can be easily solved using LCC profiles.

Post Thanks / Like

It always amazes me that these companies shoot themselves in the foot by missing basic things like support for hard wired remotes or inability to deliver basic items (Phase One) such as the normal length cable releases or for a long time the waist level finder.

Hasselblad could avoid all of the conjecture amongst potential buyers by just making an announcement or update of their web site to clarify the remote release issue. Maybe it's not an option immediately but at least providing some roadmap information would stop some potential buyers from writing off the camera ahead of time.

It's not a complete deal breaker for me but I really really hate the option of using a smart phone as the triggering device. It's really not a reliable option out in the real world especially as mentioned here if you power on/off the camera between shooting setups. You can also guarantee that it'll be a situation where the battery is low in the phone or conditions are bad enough that you don't want to soak or handle the phone & camera.
    I hear ya, but you and I are old geezers coming from different, old skool, thoughts. Gen Y rely on forward engineering and all is electronics and software based these days. There likely will not be any competitor bringing something similar to the market including the good ole cable release hardware. And that my friend, is exactly what these companies are betting on these days. My mum always said 'if you can't beat them, join them'. Silly enough, only the older I get the more I understand she is so much right about that.

Post Thanks / Like

In regard to your last paragraph I have similar thoughts. I use a P25+ on the SWC and if a X1D with a 30mm comes close enough for 'an affordable price' who am I to have nightmares over the traditional film 56x56 format. Heck, I can't even find a decent lab anymore to process colour film and e6 is dead in my territory.
    True enough. I have grown accustomed to shooting the 4x3 format and often crop to longer aspect ratios for landscapes. However Godfrey's comment got me thinking about the joys of shooting 6x6 on the SWC.

I am planning a little hike tomorrow morning to photograph a scene that I spotted on the trail last week. So, when I packed my bag tonight I decided to include an A12 back with a roll of Velvia, together with the 40mm + Flexbody + digital back. Let's just say that I'm relying on "muscle memory" to load the film in the back, should the opportunity present itself.

John

Post Thanks / Like

It always amazes me that these companies shoot themselves in the foot by missing basic things like....
    Well they've shot themselves in the foot with a camera that sold in a week what they hoped for in 6 months...

Here and elsewhere I have seen people say they will ABSOLUTELY not buy this camera because:

No cable release (currently, watch this space)

No focal plane shutter

No face detection

No multi-shot

No ultra wide angle

No zoom (currently)

No ability to use with Capture One

No optical viewfinder

No ability to use on a view camera

And so on.

I say again, do NOT buy this camera if you need a feature that it doesn't have.

Just don't.

But again, many many many people are buying this camera and that is good for Hasselblad which is good for medium format.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Graham,

Never had a camera without a cable release, albeit I mostly use the self timer. On the Hasselblad I don't have a regular shutter button, so I am cable release full time.

From the discussions I understand the using an iPhone is not a very stable solution. Albeit it should be a near ideal one.

Hopefully Hasselblad get things right before shipping…

My understanding was that they demonstrated some early samples, with firmware far from ready.

Even if they may have missed some things, that may even matter a lot to certain users, they got many things right.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

Two more things the rep mentioned:

There was no cooperation with Fuji in developing the X1D system (not new), but the lenses are produced at the Japanese lens manufacturer Nito (not new) which is already producing the Hasselblad H lenses (new to me) from the previous joint-venture with Fuji.

The final firmware will include the two crop-format modes

'V' = square = 6200x 6200 pixel = 38 MP
    'X-Pan' = 1:2.7 = 8272 x 3064 pixel = 25 MP

(naming and exact pixel count estimated)

In both cases the image in the EVF and the back screen will be cropped accordingly to see only the resulting picture. Sounds quite cool for fans of these formats, even if resolution is lost by cropping.

Remark: In a second step Hasselblad could offer the 'X-Pan' mode with shift (shifting the crop), to simulate that shift feature of the Horseman and Linhof 612 panorama cameras;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well they've shot themselves in the foot with a camera that sold in a week what they hoped for in 6 months...

Here and elsewhere I have seen people say they will ABSOLUTELY not buy this camera because:

No focal plane shutter

No face detection

No multi-shot

No ultra wide angle

No zoom (currently)

No optical viewfinder

And so on.

Just don't.

But again, many many many people are buying this camera and that is good for Hasselblad which is good for medium format.

Very true and so far I am with that. For me the problem isn't a missing feature but the old 50MP CMOS...

I know some will know say its pretty current, but honestly it isn't.

I am, however, happy for anyone buying it and I'm happy they are doing well, because I can image the next generation will be exactly what I'm looking for.

80-100Mp
    On sensor electronic shutter
    By then we have a complete lens range and I don't have to "hope" for a specific lens.

Post Thanks / Like

No focal plane shutter

No face detection

No multi-shot

No ultra wide angle

No zoom (currently)

No optical viewfinder

And so on.

Just don't.

But to miss out on many sales for the sake of a simple release beggars belief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    But to miss out on many sales for the sake of a simple release beggars belief.
    I don't know how much it really affects total sales but it really is a bit of a joke to not acknowledge or present a roadmap early on for something that has been the staple of every serious camera since the year dot.

As to Nick-T's list, other than item one (cable release), I personally could care less about the rest. The lack of cable release isn't a new phenomenon as I said. I've spent 6+ months shooting without one with my Phase One XF until last week. But, at least we knew that it was coming, even if apparently made of unobtanium.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

I'll amost certainly get an X1D when budget allows, but a cable release is a must for what I'd use it for.
    All other things the camera doesn't have I couldn't care less about. In the meantime, I'll save my dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

To say if it hasn't got it then don't buy it isn't particularly helpful. Hasselblad does seem to listen to comments on forums - they did after all introduce the type of camera many were hoping for in the form of the X1D!

Hopefully they are listening to these calls from photographers for what is a given standard and that they see sense and actually act on them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No focal plane shutter
    No face detection
    No multi-shot
    No ultra wide angle
    No zoom (currently)
    No optical viewfinder

And so on.

Just don't.

I couldn't agree more with both your points.

I hate all this bombastic 'deal breaker' nonsense too. I buy equipment that exists and does what it does on the basis of thinking that it might pose an advantage to my photography. Whatever faults it might have I either work around or don't affect me. If they do affect me and I can't work around them, well, that means I shouldn't buy the camera. So what? That doesn't stop it from being a great camera for many many others.

With respect to the X1D, I want/need a wider lens than currently available (or known to be shipping soon). Once that becomes available, I am very much all for it ... presuming I can afford it and that I feel the larger format/more megapixels actually is advantageous to my photography. It's okay, I'm patient, I can wait. But outside of that, I applaud Hasselblad for making such an excellent camera overall—even if it isn't exactly the right camera for me, yet.

BTW, on this remote release business, of recent cameras put on the market I feel the Impossible I-1 instant film camera got it just right. The camera shipped simultaneous to an iPhone app that could control it being available as well. The iPhone app connects to the camera via BlueTooth, not WiFi: The camera has a dedicated spot on its one control dial to hand control over to the app and connects instantly. The iPhone app includes both a remote release for auto operation, a remote release with self timer for auto operation, and a full manual control mode where you can set everything and remote release the shutter. Absolutely 100% reliable operation so far, after 25 packs of film using it. The distinction between remote release only and remote will full manual function is fantastic. Its as responsive as wired remotes have been. Perfect. or nearly so.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Very true and so far I am with that. For me the problem isn't a missing feature but the old 50MP CMOS...

I am, however, happy for anyone buying it and I'm happy they are doing well, because I can image the next generation will be exactly what I'm looking for.

80-100Mp
    By then we have a complete lens range and I don't have to "hope" for a specific lens.
    This kind of new technology will materialise for the 35mm format first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voidshatter View Post
    This kind of new technology will materialise for the 35mm format first.
    The ultimate deal breaker. No decision necessary for 10 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    The ultimate deal breaker. No decision necessary for 10 years.
    If it weren't for the earthquake then we would have expected to see it in Photokina this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    To say if it hasn't got it then don't buy it isn't particularly helpful. Hasselblad does seem to listen to comments on forums - they did after all introduce the type of camera many were hoping for in the form of the X1D!

Hopefully they are listening to these calls from photographers for what is a given standard and that they see sense and actually act on them.
    Sorry Keith, I'm not trying to be unhelpful, as I said earlier I *have* asked the product manager about a cable release (even though he is on holiday) and he will come back to me. Oh and I'm a photographer too, just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post

80-100Mp
    pretty much how I'm feeling right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Keith, I'm not trying to be unhelpful, as I said earlier I *have* asked the product manager about a cable release (even though he is on holiday) and he will come back to me. Oh and I'm a photographer too, just saying.
    Nick, apologies, I didn't intend to sound like I was shooting the messenger!

Best

Keith
    Last edited by KeithL; 31st July 2016 at 08:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad might consider the merits of offering the same camera with 'only' 25 megapixels - add some in built anti-camera shake and true focus at least please. As the system is no threat to 5/6 series 'blad or the Phase One XF body - on a tripod - or the S series from Leica on a tripod. Do we really think we can walk around and snap shot 50 megapixel;;s - really?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Hasselblad might consider the merits of offering the same camera with 'only' 25 megapixels - add some in built anti-camera shake and true focus at least please. As the system is no threat to 5/6 series 'blad or the Phase One XF body - on a tripod - or the S series from Leica on a tripod. Do we really think we can walk around and snap shot 50 megapixel;;s - really?
    Agree, it may be difficult but given the right kind of setup certainly possible.

This one with the Pentax 645z and the DFA 55mm lens, hand-held at 1/15 second, random shot of the waiting area of a diner in Austin. No MLU, remote trigger or any other aids. As casual as it gets. Posted it before on another thread.

I have plenty of images with the Sony Rx1R2 (42MPx) shot casually. In fact it is now my main walkabout camera. Has no IBIS unlike the A7R2 but is stable enough for me in most situations.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

I have hundreds of handheld 645Z shots taken at base ISO and up to perhaps ISO800 at 50MP. No issues if you keep your speed up. Of course I kept lens choice at normal to wide lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I would really like to see a lens roadmap (maybe at Photokina this year) for the X1D.

Post Thanks / Like

I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Anyone here knows anything about this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickgrainger View Post
    I would really like to see a lens roadmap (maybe at Photokina this year) for the X1D.
    I agree - in my case, I'd be most interested in knowing if a wide TS lens (ie for architecture) is on the cards or not. If it is, I'd likely be all in with this system.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Anyone here knows anything about this?
    Last Wednesday I had the chance to play with the X1D.
    Don't know about WB info, but exposure info in the EVF can be switched on or off.
    The Hasselblad rep mentioned lots of goodies to come. One thing is for sure, Hasselblad breaths photography again.
    Frans Rutten