The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Wedding photographer checking in.
Chris! You were the first person I recalled when I saw the announcement of this X1D! I think it could be indeed a very good replacement for the 645Z, especially for photographers like you who have already made their names and are therefore not in the need of a huge-sized camera to impress the clients. I really like the idea of significantly reduced weight and size. I would bet that the X1D would still offer an obvious advantage of image quality when compared against the 5DSR when given enough light (so that the slower lenses of the X1D would not be a limiting factor).

I think the Achilles heel of the camera may be the EVF and AF performance. There's some indications that it may actually not be that good. If it's just plain poor, it will hurt the camera badly. If it's fine (don't expect too much!), I think it's overall a really great package.

My expectation/guess is that you really can't track moving subjects with it, so your shoots need to be fairly static or pre/zone-focused. If it's just sufficiently fast in reaching focus where you point I think that will be okay. I'd love if it has true focus, but my guess is that it doesn't.

Then there's the EVF. If it's lagging or pixelated or jerky or whatever that won't be good... I don't know what to expect there, except that it's not going to be market-leading. As the camera won't be action-oriented I think you can live with a little less than the best there though.

What needs to be up there with the best is lenses and image quality, and I feel more confident about that.
I'm told by staff from Sony's sensor department that Sony's next upgrade after the A7R-II will be the next generation BIONZ-X which will be based on a 14nm/12nm fab process, offering a performance several times of the current processor in the A7R-II. AF will be vastly improved with more sophisticated deep learning algorithm. Noise control will also be improved. On-chip PDAF will be the future for sure. Hopefully Hasselblad can seal a deal with Sony to keep up using the latest stuff there.

JohnBrew

At that length, I find it difficult to imagine using it with their two excellent zoom lenses (own both). Not sure the mount will support the weight. I wonder if Hasselblad has tested this?
Hasselblad has already shown the adapter. It certainly appears to be in the 60mm range. I'm pretty certain they wouldn't release something which was not thoroughly tested. A 100 w/adapter would be a sizable chunk, however.

vjbelle

At that length, I find it difficult to imagine using it with their two excellent zoom lenses (own both). Not sure the mount will support the weight. I wonder if Hasselblad has tested this?
That was my concern when I looked at the image showing the adaptor. I can't imagine the lens mount being able to handle much more than 1kg along with the adaptor and even that may be pushing it given the overall length. A lot of their HC lenses fall into that weight category but there are some WAY out of that category.

Victor

Fast lenses are inevitably much bigger and heavier than slower lenses, and are not really in keeping with the form factor of X1D. A major design objective with the X1D was small, light and portable. The initial lenses are slower and smallish. I hope Hasselblad sticks with the plan. However, I suppose it may be possible to produce a "normal" f/2 lens that would not overwhelm the body. I have the HC 100 f/2.2 and its not huge.
However given that the 44x33 sensor inside the X1D isn't significantly bigger than those 35mm format sensors, an X1D with such slow lenses could not match the DOF controls of the 35mm cameras at all.

Probably for the same reason why the US$3K camera with the 42MP smaller sensor in a smaller body is a big deal over its little brother with an even smaller 24MP sensor in an even smaller body at US$1K and with an even larger selection of lenses.
Some people argue that the 44x33 sensor is only 67% bigger than the 35mm format sensors, and that the 35mm format sensors are over 100% bigger than the APSC sensors.

anGy

I thought about this last night and not sure my thinking is correct but let's see what you all think. The HTS is a 1.5 crop factor considered on a full frame MF back. Now with a crop sensor is it still 1.5 times factor. It's a smaller sensor. I'm thinking maybe wrongly here it maybe a 1.3.

Was I drinking to much when I thought of this, maybe. Lol
Wouldn't it be a good idea for Hasselblad to produce a HTS x1,3 option ?
Let the current HTS be the 'full frame' HTS and offer a 'crop sensor' HTS option with less magnification.
Doing so it would be possible to have more or less the same wide angle focal length with T&S on both sensor sizes (staying inside the image circle of the lenses).
Cool idea I think :cool:

Chris Giles

Chris! You were the first person I recalled when I saw the announcement of this X1D! I think it could be indeed a very good replacement for the 645Z, especially for photographers like you who have already made their names and are therefore not in the need of a huge-sized camera to impress the clients. I really like the idea of significantly reduced weight and size. I would bet that the X1D would still offer an obvious advantage of image quality when compared against the 5DSR when given enough light (so that the slower lenses of the X1D would not be a limiting factor).
I agree, my main worry is AF speed and buffer capacity / clearance time. Mainly it would be great for bridal prep, the ceremony, reception and the couple shots. But with anything I often want to shoot and chimp quite quickly. I found the 10 second wait after a burst with t 645Z killed the moment and the experience. I'm very hungry for a Medium Format wedding camera.

Let's see what Hasselblad give us although now the HB has opened the gates to a larger sensor mirrorless camera the others will follow suit if it's a success. It would be nice is the X1D has pixel binning so it can have a higher frame rate.

V

Vivek

They will replace the mount if that happens (I hope that they will). It is highly unlikely to be a plastic mount like the Sony A7/A7r.

I agree, my main worry is AF speed and buffer capacity / clearance time. Mainly it would be great for bridal prep, the ceremony, reception and the couple shots. But with anything I often want to shoot and chimp quite quickly. I found the 10 second wait after a burst with t 645Z killed the moment and the experience. I'm very hungry for a Medium Format wedding camera.

Let's see what Hasselblad give us although now the HB has opened the gates to a larger sensor mirrorless camera the others will follow suit if it's a success. It would be nice is the X1D has pixel binning so it can have a higher frame rate.
If I were to shoot wedding again, I would pick the X1D to cover the formals, the group photos etc where buffer clearing is not an issue, and a Canikon flagship (1DX-II with CFast card or D5 with XQD card) to cover the continuous burst requirements for other scenes e.g. the ceremony. Such a perfect combo!

Tim

I've read this thread top to bottom with interest, I can't see why there would be any angst about this camera. It starts a new previously unoccupied niche - compact MF. We are blessed with the option of another tool to use in our lives. So, if its not for you then keep and use what you have.

The X1D is what I have lusted for a long time in a camera except for the price, but that's not me saying it too expensive, rather, I am too pov. (edit: I can find the cash but more I can't justify it).

So fuji is comming with something this is 100% sure. Now, I was not able to get more info about it, if it will be fixed lens (i hope, for the price) or interchangeable lens. I pray it will be a fixed 80f3.2 like a modern heliar formula at a price around 4K max.
Fuji please do, I might have a hope !

Many of us here, use Sony RX1, Sigma DP Merrill, Ricoh GR and Leica X/Q and other design married fixed lens compacts.
A fixed lens compact MF would sell I am sure, another niche to fill. (edit: if buying a X1D with one lens then this makes sense)

How about you Hasselblad ?

Last edited:

tjv

I don't understand people getting angry / crying about a product that is marked "made in *insert country here*" that has some components made in another country. It's how the consumer manufacturing world works! This camera is designed and made in SWEDEN, with components sourced from many places I imagine, all chosen by Hasselblad to suit their requirements, and tested on their own production line during final assembly. There's no conspiracy, get over it!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Amazing how much this is torn apart before it hits the streets . This is a exciting new option can't we leave it at that. Buy it or not it's a exciting new product from the Hassy camp.

Btw Hassy said lenses made by Nitto in Japan. The is a global economy

iiiNelson

Amazing how much this is torn apart before it hits the streets . This is a exciting new option can't we leave it at that. Buy it or not it's a exciting new product from the Hassy camp.

Btw Hassy said lenses made by Nitto in Japan. The is a global economy
People have selective attention to detail. The camera is made in Sweden. The lenses are designed by Hasselblad and manufactured in Japan by Nittoh. That's been asked and answered multiple times by Hasselblad.

I I don't understand the call for a lawsuit though. That's ridiculous.

Guy Mancuso

I know many want to compare it to other systems and such but we need to realize first the intent of the manufacture . Hassy is targeting a certain type of style or kind of photography here. It's not a full fledged back designed for a separate body or tech cam. They still make those types of units for those needs . It's also not compared to like my Sony A7rII either. Sure we will do that but that is really not the intent of this X1D. If anything there really is nothing to compare it too, that's what makes it interesting to a lot of us is we can still capture a very highly capable Sont CMOS sensor that is tops in its class. This has already been a proven sensor. That debate is long over . I shot this sensor when it came out and it's very very nice. As a Phase owner in the past of 5 backs and everything that goes with it, I'm giving Hassy a ton of love for this as its DIFFRENT and that it has its own merit and place with users that want that simplistic approach . Sure it's not going to have all the bells and whistles and yes it is a closed system today as we know it. That really means little as we know 3rd party will design adapters and such for it.

Now it may not flip your lid as to buy it you need to stop being so narrow minded and think it's all about your needs and if you have any years in this industry start thinking about this effects the industry and how this can change , motivate and inspire other OEMs to build comparable product. Without someone stepping in the water first than they all will be standing looking at it with there hands in there pockets .

You want certain things than you need to be involved in a positive way to make change. Trust me sitting in the corner crying like a baby gets old and no one will listen to you. In fact you will get ignored. Anyway I see this on every released camera and it's sad to see a OEM try there best but it gets shot down by over critical people that won't be buying the product anyway and as a Sony owner myself see these silly fanboys from Nikon and Canon just rip the heart out of Sony. That's not helping the industry folks.

Nuf said from me but honestly when things turn like this I leave the thread and you wonder why the forums have slowed down and less participation this is exactly why. No one wants to keep banging there head into a wall. This is supposed to be fun and for myself if it's not , I'm history on a subject, thread, post or forum. I'm too much about the industry maybe but I have a very long career in this business along with many others. This stuff is painful to watch

I know many want to compare it to other systems and such but we need to realize first the intent of the manufacture . Hassy is targeting a certain type of style or kind of photography here. It's not a full fledged back designed for a separate body or tech cam. They still make those types of units for those needs . It's also not compared to like my Sony A7rII either. Sure we will do that but that is really not the intent of this X1D. If anything there really is nothing to compare it too, that's what makes it interesting to a lot of us is we can still capture a very highly capable Sont CMOS sensor that is tops in its class. This has already been a proven sensor. That debate is long over . I shot this sensor when it came out and it's very very nice. As a Phase owner in the past of 5 backs and everything that goes with it, I'm giving Hassy a ton of love for this as its DIFFRENT and that it has its own merit and place with users that want that simplistic approach . Sure it's not going to have all the bells and whistles and yes it is a closed system today as we know it. That really means little as we know 3rd party will design adapters and such for it.

Now it may not flip your lid as to buy it you need to stop being so narrow minded and think it's all about your needs and if you have any years in this industry start thinking about this effects the industry and how this can change , motivate and inspire other OEMs to build comparable product. Without someone stepping in the water first than they all will be standing looking at it with there hands in there pockets .

You want certain things than you need to be involved in a positive way to make change. Trust me sitting in the corner crying like a baby gets old and no one will listen to you. In fact you will get ignored. Anyway I see this on every released camera and it's sad to see a OEM try there best but it gets shot down by over critical people that won't be buying the product anyway and as a Sony owner myself see these silly fanboys from Nikon and Canon just rip the heart out of Sony. That's not helping the industry folks.

Nuf said from me but honestly when things turn like this I leave the thread and you wonder why the forums have slowed down and less participation this is exactly why. No one wants to keep banging there head into a wall. This is supposed to be fun and for myself if it's not , I'm history on a subject, thread, post or forum. I'm too much about the industry maybe but I have a very long career in this business along with many others. This stuff is painful to watch
Well that's just about perfect Guy, thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Well that's just about perfect Guy, thanks.
Thank you let's continue on and discuss this new entry into the field. I know from teaching our workshops a lot of folks would love to have one of these type cameras. The 30mm is going t be nice but love to see them down the road give us even wider like a 18 and 135 / 35 equivalent . I do think a dedicated HTS adapter dedicated for this format would be nice and I think it does not have to be 1.5 but maybe even get away with a 1.2 or 1.3. I don't know the math on it but that would be very very useful in the field.

Guy Mancuso

I also from we learned so far like lack of focus peaking and some other features can be done relatively easy before this even ships as that right now seems to be a work in progress. Maybe since they are using the H6D menu model some users that know that can talk about some of the feature sets so we understand what they maybe planning in regard to that. Another question I have is can we customize there existing buttons. Like rear focus for instance