Site Sponsors
Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

It very much seems that more things are to come at Photokina.

Local reps are selling off their demo units of the CFV–50c and HCD 28mm lenses, for example. I wouldn't mind betting we'll see an updated version of the former (with the new interface and hardware), and a proper "full frame" version of the 28mm lens announced.

I thought they'd already said that along with the X1D 30mm lens being released at Photokina, they'd announce one or several others they're working one. Not quite a roadmap, but...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Anyone here knows anything about this?
    I don't know if it shows the WB or not, but is that something that's important considering it doesn't matter if you set it when shooting or later?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    I don't know if it shows the WB or not, but is that something that's important considering it doesn't matter if you set it when shooting or later?
    Hi NickT,

You are right, the WB is not important at all, but I do care about exposure and would like a preview of that so I can see the final picture before I take it. I pretty much only use spot metering for my natural light portrait work and not being able to see a preview of the exposure would slow me down quite a lot.

I'm not on the floor crying in rage, I'm simply curious as it is something which would change the way I work. I know people who come in here and talk about one feature deal breakers are not popular, but that is not the case here. I just need more information and I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Last Wednesday I had the chance to play with the X1D.
    Don't know about WB info, but exposure info in the EVF can be switched on or off.
    The Hasselblad rep mentioned lots of goodies to come. One thing is for sure, Hasselblad breaths photography again.
    Thank you Miller.

When you say exposure info do you mean a histogram, or that your exposure settings are actually applied in the view finder, thus giving you a clear idea of what the final picture will look like?

I only have Fuji cameras with EVFs , but I think this is the equivalent of Live View on a DLSR but in the EVF, not the screen.

Post Thanks / Like

Erik,

Misunderstanding on my side, I think. At first, the viewfinder did not show any information regarding light metering, aperture and shutter speed. When I asked the Hasselblad rep, he quickly activated this feature.
    I have now read the Dpreview post you referred to and I quote:
    "It was also stuck at fixed gain, and the Blad rep said that the EVF would NOT adjust with exposure at this time!!! I drilled down on this point, as the EVF exposure WYSIWYG is one of the key features of CSC".
    I did not ask about WYSIWYG in EVF, nor did I see adjustments to the EVF when changing aperture or shutter speed.
    Not a feature I am interested in, really. I am old school optical viewfinder all the way. I think the EVF on the X1D works fine, and I could get good results with this setup, nevertheless.
    Frans Rutten
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Received this yesterday regarding my query about previewing the X1D in North Carolina:

Joseph,

We haven't forgotten North Carolina, we're just awaiting our demo units. The current events have been "Preview Events;" using a preproduction model -- I expect to bring a fully functioning demo unit to NC in early September -- I'll keep you updated.

Thanks,

Eric Peterson
    Region Sales Manager - Mid-Atlantic/Southeast
    Hasselblad Bron, Inc.
    This would suggest that production units (and shipping to customers?) will start in September, not in August as I had hoped. Oh well, the wait continues.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Received this yesterday regarding my query about previewing the X1D in North Carolina:

This would suggest that production units (and shipping to customers?) will start in September, not in August as I had hoped. Oh well, the wait continues.

Joe
    Last I checked B&H said the ship date was Aug. 30th, which puts it barely in August. They're of course not the final word on shipping date and other retailers may get stock earlier/later.

I made it to the preview event with Eric in Atlanta yesterday. I believe he said regarding availability that they should start shipping in a couple weeks, meaning end of August/early September. As he said, the X1D he had with him was a pre-production model and not a production demo. There don't seem to be many pre-production models out in the wild as I think he said he had just gotten his hands on it recently (maybe even as recent as that morning but I don't recall). He said he hoped to have a demo model in his hands in a couple weeks.

I didn't ask specifically, but I also got the impression that they had a lot of preorders. They did not deny the statement "if you haven't ordered already, you may not see a camera this year"...but that's not a confirmation either. One person was asking about availaility because they "had a timeline", but I would certainly not plan a shoot around gear that you don't have in hand let alone plan shoots with the X1D given what we've heard about preorder volume on the forums. Regarding the earthquake, it was confirmed that most manufacturers had stock of the 50mp sensor (so X1D wasn't affected, at least not too much) and the earthquake affected the 100mp more, but things are back on track post-earthquake.

My thoughts regarding the X1D....not a whole lot more to say than has already been said by others. Camera feels great in the hands. It's heavier than expected but not too heavy and felt well balanced with the lenses on. The grip is very comfortable and feels great. For me and my hands, the button placement was well thought out and I loved the simplicity of the buttons (compared to the X-T1 and A7R that I have). The touchscreen interface (basically the same platform as the H6D) is great (the menu design is muuuuch more attractive than the boxy menus of Fuji and Sony) and MILES ahead of the interface and screen on my H4D. The lenses had a good feel to them and a nice weight, and had really smooth focus rings. After shooting side by side with the H6D, it was a shock to shoot the X1D and have no mirror slap/recoil at all. The shutter noise of the X1D/XCD lenses was different than the H/HC lenses, but the sound did not bother me as it has others.

The camera at the preview was definitely a preproduction model with preproduction firmware (ie there were bugs), so I'm not sure I can really make any useful insights regarding the EVF and other functionality at this point because many of my observations may be rendered moot once production firmware (and the first couple of updates) lands. The camera body, as others have mentioned, got very warm...but the rep said that this would be remedied with the production firmware. Touch AF wasn't enabled yet, but you could tap an area on the screen, it would magnify, and then you could focus manual and fire. Even that would be a huge feature for the tripod shooting I do. It magnified too much for my taste (maybe ~400%?), so hopefully different magnification levels can be set to ones taste.

The rep said a request for wired shutter release (remote) has been passed up the chain but he had no information about it. Also said he had no information about T/S lenses or a lens roadmap in general aside from the 30mm which was already announced, sort of. He did say that they are hoping to get a tripod mount on the H=>X adaptor to help deal with the weight of some of the H lenses (and the HTS adaptor), which would make me feel more comfortable about using the adaptor and not stressing lens mounts.

As I've said before, it's a camera system with a lot of potential, and I'm excited to try it again once production models land and see how the system develops.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

Joe
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully they won't choose the weekend that I'm in Mexico...
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Demo units will be out by the end of the month. The Swedes have mostly been on holiday so they are getting back into it.

I have been talking to the product manager about a wired cable release and will keep you informed here.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the shutter is in the lens does that mean that future Hasselblad lenses for the X1D could allow for faster shutter speeds than 1/2000th of a second?

Post Thanks / Like

Since the shutter is in the lens does that mean that future Hasselblad lenses for the X1D could allow for faster shutter speeds than 1/2000th of a second?
    In theory: yes. We can prove that: the old H1 cameras can use faster shutter speed with recent lenses (from 1/800s to 1/1000s, which is not much but is -strictly speaking- faster).

In practice, this is unlikely to happen. Central shutters are limited mechanically to about 1/1000s on MF lenses and the present 1/2000s already uses an electronic trick in-camera. Development on central shutters is also limited, very few companies are manufacturing and improving them (which also explains that Hasselblad did the job themselves).

In short: an educated guess is that future lenses will top at 1/2000s. Which is actually plenty for this kind of camera.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Anyone here knows anything about this?
    I reached out to Hasselblad and they confirmed live Exposure preview in the EVF would be available in a future firmware update.

I also asked them about how to move the focus point while you are in the EVF. If you press a button a grid with the points will be appeared and the focus point can be selected using the control wheels.

Not as a good as a joystick, but will have to do.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

B and H has moved ship date to September 15.

So my Leica Q will be with me on Isle of Skye next month.

At least I will have that distraction while we wait.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that for an order you place now?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Patience, lads.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Isn't that for an order you place now?
    I took it to mean the first ship date. If no availability due to the number of
    orders vs received camera you would wait longer.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    I bet the Swedes are working hard on the firmware. Seems like it was far from finished when they were demoing the X1D. If they had been ready for an August 30th launch I think we would have seen a proper review by Ming Thein and other Hasselblad ambassadors by now.

Here in the UK a lot of dealers will start demoing the X1D in the second week of September with Hasselblad representatives, which also seems rather late for a August 30th Launch.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I have yet to pre-order even though the X1D seems to have all the features I want, but it would be nice to see some more in-depth review of its performance and of the new lenses before I spend a small fortune. Then again I might just do it so I can actually post a picture in the Having fun with MF thread instead of just trolling your forum with my poor APS-C camera

Post Thanks / Like

I bet the Swedes are working hard on the firmware. Seems like it was far from finished when they were demoing the X1D. If they had been ready for an August 30th launch I think we would have seen a proper review by Ming Thein and other Hasselblad ambassadors by now.

Here in the UK a lot of dealers will start demoing the X1D in the second week of September with Hasselblad representatives, which also seems rather late for a August 30th Launch.

Hopefully it will be worth the wait. I have yet to pre-order even though the X1D seems to have all the features I want, but it would be nice to see some more in-depth review of its performance and of the new lenses before I spend a small fortune. Then again I might just do it so I can actually post a picture in the Having fun with MF thread instead of just trolling your forum with my poor APS-C camera
    Can confirm that the firmware had some polishing that needed to be done when I tested the camera at the preview I attended Aug. 9th. Hopefully the Sept. 15th date is for a second allotment and some cameras will ship out tomorrow, although from what I saw on the 9th, I wouldn't be surprised if it got pushed back sadly. I'd rather them push the date back then ship a camera with half-cooked firmware personally. I think it will be worth the wait once they get the firmware kinks worked out (the preview camera I tried froze a couple times, for example) and get the features in that they've promised (the AF points and touch-AF weren't on the camera I tried).

I'm hoping to order mine sometime in the next couple weeks. I was going to wait until Photokina but if there's stock available before then (which doesn't look terribly likely) that could change. I'm shooting a friends wedding pro-bono Sept 18th and it would be fun to have one alongside whatever primary camera[s] I'm shooting with...definitely not holding my breath though.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a new user report about the X1D in action. Although not much more additional information than what is already known, but still interesting while waiting on the production units:

http://scottkelby.com/guest-blog-wed...ng-ali-rajabi/

Post Thanks / Like

While we wait for the X1D to arrived maybe someone could explain to me how you calculate the equivalent f-stop between cameras with differently sized sensors?

I know some are not super happy with the slow lenses for the X1D, but the sensor is almost four times as large as what I'm used to on my Fujis so I am curious how big the difference really is when it comes to lens speed.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

While we wait for the X1D to arrived maybe someone could explain to me how you calculate the equivalent f-stop between cameras with differently sized sensors?

I know some are not super happy with the slow lenses for the X1D, but the sensor is almost four times as large as what I'm used to on my Fujis so I am curious how big the difference really is when it comes to lens speed.

thanks
    An f/2.8 lens would be an f/2.8 lens in front of any-size sensor, however one that is four times larger will also collect about four times as much light, so in terms of gathering power you're looking at a two-stop advantage. In other words, assuming identical sensor tech and equalized to a given size, it would have the effect of an f/1.4 lens on a Fuji. (But in noise performance)

Depth of field is a more difficult metric to talk about because the depth characteristics of larger formats are different; you get a narrower DoF at any given aperture, but the transition between what's in focus and what's not is more gradual. Imagine if you will taking a four-shot 2x2 panoramic with every exposure, and that's about the effect you'll get.

A more minor effect is that specific focal lengths tend to adhere to certain optical formulas, for instance a 50mm can be double-gauss whether it's used as a portrait lens on APS-C or a wide-angle on 645, so whatever characteristics these formulas have are carried over to different fields of view on different formats. I'm not to savvy on the specifics of this aspect.
    Last edited by Kolor-Pikker; 30th August 2016 at 03:20.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    Same F-stop lets in the same amount of light, so the speed is the same as equivalent f-stop on any other sensor. But perhaps your question is related to how narrow the depth of field is?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks
    Forget the silliness about "four times the sensor, two stops more light" ... that's wrong. An f/2.8 lens on either camera allows the same amount of light light energy per unit time to pass through: there's no difference in actual light gathering power. If this were not the case, you could not use the same exposure meter for a medium format camera as you would for a 35mm camera; the f/number normalizes the lens opening to ensure that f/2.8 on any lens gives the same exposure as on any other, regardless of format.

The difference is in the evaluation of Field of View and Depth of Field. The smaller format camera will use a shorter focal length lens to achieve the same Field of View, which means that a larger lens opening generates more Depth of Field because the physical size of the lens opening for a given f/number is larger.

Example: The Fuji sensor is 16x24mm, so a normal lens on the Fuji is approximately 35mm focal length. The Hasselblad X1D sensor is 33x44mm, its normal lens on the X1D is 68mm focal length for the same FoV (approximately 44 degrees across the diagonal, discounting format proportion differences). So the Fuji camera has a crop factor of ~1.9x relative to the X1D. This is very similar to the relationship between FourThirds format and 35mm FF format (crop factor ~2x based on diagonal measure), so you would expect that a given f/number on the Fuji gains DoF relative to the X1D similarly to the way a given f/number on an Olympus E-M1 gains DoF relative to a 35mm FF format camera.

Running the numbers through a DoF calculator, the DoF produced by the Fuji 35mm at f/2.8 is achieved by a hypothetical X1D 68mm lens at f/5.6, which is virtually the same difference seen by considering an Olympus E-M1 25mm lens (its normal) against a Leica M-P 50mm lens (its normal).

So the difference in X1D Field of View compared to your Fuji camera is about a crop factor of 1.9x and the difference in DoF for the same field of view lens is about 2 stops. This means the X1D 45mm f/3.5 lens behaves similarly to a 23mm lens on the Fuji with respect to field of view and exposure, and at f/5.6 it produces DoF similar to what that 23mm lens on the Fuji would at f/2.8.

You can run the numbers yourself for the 90mm lens ... ;-)

G

BTW: This difference in depth of field is why 35mm cameras were touted as such an advantage over medium format cameras for hand-held work with active subjects. Because of the smaller format and consequent DoF gain, you could get more DoF with shorter exposure times which, back in the day, was a big deal when film speeds averaged ISO 25 for normal film and ISO 160 for grainy, high-speed film. The problem with larger formats then was seen as too little DoF or too long an exposure time, which 35mm cameras solved nicely with a 2-stop-plus gain in speed due to the format size change with its shorter lenses.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

You can run the numbers yourself for the 90mm lens ... ;-)

G
    Looks like it would be the equivalent of a 47mm1.6F XF lens

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it would be the equivalent of a 47mm1.6F XF lens
    Right on.

Now you can understand why having 17mm f/0.95 and 42.5mm f/0.95 lenses is so important for FourThirds format cameras ... It's how you can get Depth of Field control similar to fast 35 and 90 mm lenses on a 35mm FF camera. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Satrycon View Post
    As I understand it, this won't impact the near-term supply of 50MP sensors. And we don't know yet whether the most recent quake will have any impact on the Sony Kumamoto plant production. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

But, it's handmade in Sweden.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see a 50Mpixel sensor made by hand, eh? ;-)
    I suspect it might take a while ...

G

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see a 50Mpixel sensor made by hand, eh? ;-)
    I suspect it might take a while ...

G
    Fat pixel sensors would be a lot more popular, no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

haha

it's by 99% chance made by a German or Japanese CNC machine ... in Sweden

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chrismuc View Post
    haha

it's by 99% chance made by a German or Japanese CNC machine ... in Sweden
    Specially trained reindeers

Post Thanks / Like

Could someone explain to me how you announce a product in April, send out crippled demo's for testing and get known top photographers make some videos touting the great ease of use of the camera and features knowing its not really fully functional. Is that how marketing 101 goes with camera companies? Then give a ship date, do introduction by appointment test drive tours with a camera that freezes up, with not fully functional pre-production firmware then say we have hired 15 programmers to expedite firmware releases. After all that miss the ship date, miss the firmware date, give promises of features to be added to firmware that should be there in the first place especially on the H6D. I would think the cameras H6D and X1D have been in the making for at least a year. And to top it all off have reps in the field trying to sell cameras and glass not able to give specific answers as to the dates of product availability or feature requests.

Unless those comments that I have been reading from all of you that are fairy tails. All the glory and gusto of the X1D Hasselblad had with its announcement before Photokina is all but lost as time has run out. Its anybody's guess what else will be announced from the competitive group of manufacturers at Photokina.

I would say someone at Hasselblad needs to get up off his chair and on the dance floor and make some clear official company statements as to the shipment dates and firmware releases. I realize no dealers have invested monies in stock and most buyers didn't put up any cash so this whole party is funded by Hasselblad. Its a shame, not a game changer all Hasselblad would have to do is make an apology and clean up some code that would also be great marketing for them.
    And why should we have to interpret ship dates from B&H can't our local dealers be trusted with the ship date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, have you always been a glass half full person. I attended a demo and loved what I saw. Waiting nine months for my H4D60 was a lot more painful than the short wait we have for this GROUND BREAKING camera. Now, I will be on your side if Hasselblad does not deliver on all its promises, but the wait for my camera just told me Hasselblad is not going to ship a half baked system. The heat Hasselblad faced from the ill-conceived Lunar may have made them very aware of the wrath they would face if they ship an incomplete product.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    Wow, have you always been a glass half full person. I attended a demo and loved what I saw. Waiting nine months for my H4D60 was a lot more painful than the short wait we have for this GROUND BREAKING camera. Now, I will be on your side if Hasselblad does not deliver on all its promises, but the wait for my camera just told me Hasselblad is not going to ship a half baked system. The heat Hasselblad faced from the ill-conceived Lunar may have made them very aware of the wrath they would face if they ship an incomplete product.

Greg
    I can only hope your right but it doesn't excuse them from not clearly issuing a statement to their customers or at least their dealers as to answering if even vaguely a reason for delays of delivery. I've been awaiting a few firmware updates for my H5D-50 for two years and have yet to see them. I must admit I get great fast response every time I have inquired as to the progress of the wanted requests but they never make it to the firmware updates they are on the to-do-list. I have the H6D-100c on order promised the 50 first, then the ability to acquire a 100. BUT the camera must fit my desired work flow and just because it has a 100 MP sensor doesn't mean I'm willing to go through another 20K loss you know the drill buying the camera and trading it in for the upgrade. Been there done that.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally I'm with BAB. Hasselblad do have a reputation over the last few years of announcing early and then being extremely slow to deliver. (Not that they are alone in this respect).

This is part of the reason why I haven't pre-ordered and tied up the funds for months and months. It's a classic bait and defer approach where folks will hold back from perhaps other purchases in their desire to pick up what looks to be a great camera system ... Eventually.

Been there, done that. Now I'm old enough to not feel like I need to be the first off the block with the very latest gear. (Mostly )
    Ylem ...
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Personally I'm with BAB. Hasselblad do have a reputation over the last few years of announcing early and then being extremely slow to deliver. (Not that they are alone in this respect).

This is part of the reason why I haven't pre-ordered and tied up the funds for months and months. It's a classic bait and defer approach where folks will hold back from perhaps other purchases in their desire to pick up what looks to be a great camera system ... Eventually.

Been there, done that. Now I'm old enough to not feel like I need to be the first off the block with the very latest gear. (Mostly )
    Then there's something called Photokina just around the corner.
    Miles Flint
    http://www.milesflint.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    No Kidding. Phase is notorious for “shipping” when announced, even though they know they don’t have anywhere near enough inventory nor production capabilities to really deliver the goods. You can order your new back within a couple of days of being announced, and even though it is “shipping”, that might mean you only have to wait 3 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TBH - I've gone from 100% buyer and order in ( still is) to hmmm no exposure in EVF, delays now till September - which meanss dealers get a demo copy to show....thsi now becomes a Christmas and New Year sometime maybe by March/April...situation...

As someone said Photokina is coming and Hasselblad have shipped nothing - business stuff up 101. Now I am thinking this announcement months ago- was to get in ahead of other stuff that is coming...we will see.

Meanwhile Petey is having a blast with his new SL system...Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
    never thought Id say thsi but I am now a fully fledged convert to EVF - bring it on MF manufacturers - give me an MF optical experience in your upcoming EV models - or syonara baby.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Meanwhile Petey is having a blast with his new SL system...
    ...which was announced a year ago and did not deliver in large numbers for months.

Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
    I had the occasion to test both cameras, the SL EVF is noticeably better. The X1D is similar to what Sony offers on their cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

TBH - I've gone from 100% buyer and order in ( still is) to hmmm no exposure in EVF, delays now till September - which meanss dealers get a demo copy to show....thsi now becomes a Christmas and New Year sometime maybe by March/April...situation...

As someone said Photokina is coming and Hasselblad have shipped nothing - business stuff up 101. Now I am thinking this announcement months ago- was to get in ahead of other stuff that is coming...we will see.

Meanwhile Petey is having a blast with his new SL system...Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
    never thought Id say thsi but I am now a fully fledged convert to EVF - bring it on MF manufacturers - give me an MF optical experience in your upcoming EV models - or syonara baby.
    I reached out to Hasselblad and they assured me exposure preview in the EVF was planned for a future firmware release.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, tough crowd.

Probably should point out that the X1D was announced in late June, not in April. And so, okay, first production units are now supposed to ship in mid-September rather than in late August.

What would you have Hasselblad do? Ship the camera before getting it to a minimal acceptable performance spec? Not announce until they've manufactured a warehouse full of 'em? Build a factory and hire the staff necessary to meet initial, surge demand?

Seems to me that pretty much any product worth having is hard to get at first. Even products from a manufacturing juggernaut like Apple. Does anyone think that the good folks at Hasselblad and Phase One and Leica and Nikon and all the rest aren't doing their very best to get their products to us, as soon a they possibly can?

In the meantime, I dunno, maybe we could go make some pictures with that old gear we already have...
    Jeff

www.jeffhughesphoto.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
    Peter, the Leica SL EVF is 4.4MP and best-in-class at the moment. The Hasselblad X1D has a 2.36MP EVF, the same as, or similar to, the Sony a7RII EVF. Like you, I'd prefer the outstanding EVF of the Leica, but have become accustomed to the lower res EVF, using my Sony for about a year. Perhaps Photokina will reveal more camera makers adopting the 4.4MP EVF. It's pricey and requires more processing power in-camera.

After the EVF experience, I'll never use an optical viewfinder again.

Post Thanks / Like

its usually better to delay release a while to iron out problems, rather than releasing a for example: leica T that was crap with firmware 1..and finally became way better and usable 1 year later with FW 1.5+

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Wow, tough crowd.

Probably should point out that the X1D was announced in late June, not in April. And so, okay, first production units are now supposed to ship in mid-September rather than in late August.

What would you have Hasselblad do? Ship the camera before getting it to a minimal acceptable performance spec? Not announce until they've manufactured a warehouse full of 'em? Build a factory and hire the staff necessary to meet initial, surge demand?

Seems to me that pretty much any product worth having is hard to get at first. Even products from a manufacturing juggernaut like Apple. Does anyone think that the good folks at Hasselblad and Phase One and Leica and Nikon and all the rest aren't doing their very best to get their products to us, as soon a they possibly can?

In the meantime, I dunno, maybe we could go make some pictures with that old gear we already have...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Wow, tough crowd.

Kickstarter is for funding the development of a product, I would rather see companies raise money for development and then release the product finished. Rather than me buy a product and wait for yearly firmware updates to make the product fully capable. By the time the firmware update is released if it is these companies are announcing new products making the ones you bought last year obsolete. Jeff buying the X1D with two lenses is a small investment and a no brainer, buying a 100 MP system that's not fully functional from P1, H or L is another story. These companies need to listen to their users and give them the features that they need when the features are reasonable on the higher end products they are offering. Firmware updates are a joke, it's marketing BS, firmware updates fixing bugs are important but firmware updates that are promises from past experience rarely are delivered. So...I stand in the crowd that's wants the equipment with features that improve my workflow, make my backbreaking job easier and give me the ability to create without hindering my performance when I know the features exist and it's just a matter of code.
    Personally if I was asking for a laser guided sensor controlled by my right eye that framed, auto focused, auto exposed and zoomed via Bluetooth to a system that I didn't have to carry and produce 500 MB files, that could shoot perfect noise free images then I would agree with you.
    It's nice to discuss this though maybe the other side is listening.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    By the time the firmware update is released if it is these companies are announcing new products making the ones you bought last year obsolete.
    That is the fault in your reasoning. These products are not obsolete. I am still using an "obsolete" H4D-50. I am very pleased with it. For my kind of photography, its results are just as good as the ones from the X1D.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Product announcements are driven by marketing needs.

I'm in no hurry. I'll buy if and when Hasselblad delivers the product that I want, at the quality spec I expect, and when I can afford it. I'd much rather Hasselblad takes whatever time is necessary to deliver the X1D at the quality level and with the finish quality their announcement suggested.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Product announcements are driven by marketing needs.

I'm in no hurry. I'll buy if and when Hasselblad delivers the product that I want, at the quality spec I expect, and when I can afford it.

G
    Already decided to pass on this one, but I think I might be tempted with the “X2D” if the specs are right and the glass line up has a few more options ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    That is the fault in your reasoning. These products are not obsolete. I am still using an "obsolete" H4D-50. I am very pleased with it. For my kind of photography, its results are just as good as the ones from the X1D.
    Really?